"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-13-2008, 08:30 AM   #1
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
Halloween party ideas needed

Does anyone have some FUN tried and true party games for adults and children? We're have a few friends over with their kids in a couple of week and would like to make it fun for all ages. We only have a costume contest in mind. We could really use suggestions on cool games we can play.

Another question is what liquor would be most popular for this ocassion? I definitely cannot afford the whole liquor store, so suggestions on adult drinks and liquor suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 10-13-2008, 08:55 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Dina, try this site for cocktails. Lots to choose from.

Halloween Drink Cocktails and Punch Recipes - Drink Recipe Collections

As for the kids - bobbing for apples no matter how old they get, including the adults. The kids love when the 'grown ups do it more than doing it themselves.

Old 10-20-2008, 12:54 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Thanks Quicksilver!
I'm going with the Witch's Brew~one virgin for the kids and one with vodka for the adults. I think I'm going to hang up the apples from a string (as opposed to putting them in water) so the kids won't get any viruses going around.
Old 10-20-2008, 01:03 PM   #4
Master Chef

One party I attended we played a game with candy. The hostess had about 15-20 different candy bars that she cut off a sliver and put the sliver on a tray with each selection numbered. We had to identify the candy bar from the little sliver. She also had several small pumpkins and we were split into groups. Each group got a pumpkin and a slip of paper with a celebrity name on it. We then had to decorate our pumpkin with markers, glue etc. to make it look like the celebrity. If you had something with you say in your car that you could use that was acceptable. My group had Groucho Marx. The face was kind of easy but then we carved a small hole and rolled up a strip of brown paper bag for his cigar. After a set time period we had to try and guess who everyone had. The group with the most easily recognized portrait got a prize.
Old 10-20-2008, 01:18 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbur View Post
One party I attended we played a game with candy. The hostess had about 15-20 different candy bars that she cut off a sliver and put the sliver on a tray with each selection numbered. We had to identify the candy bar from the little sliver. She also had several small pumpkins and we were split into groups. Each group got a pumpkin and a slip of paper with a celebrity name on it. We then had to decorate our pumpkin with markers, glue etc. to make it look like the celebrity. If you had something with you say in your car that you could use that was acceptable. My group had Groucho Marx. The face was kind of easy but then we carved a small hole and rolled up a strip of brown paper bag for his cigar. After a set time period we had to try and guess who everyone had. The group with the most easily recognized portrait got a prize.
Cool ideas! I like these.
Old 10-20-2008, 01:33 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Mummy contest. Get cheep toilet paper and have the kids divided into teams. The first ones to completely wrap an adult into a mummy with the toilet paper wins.

There are a couple I need to email my sil to get the full details but it involves marshmallows and grapes. You put grapes in the marshmallows and have a contest to see who can pull out the most grapes while blind folded.

Always entertaining is the marshmallow stuff. You see how many marshmallows the adults and/or children can stuff in their mouths.

Candy corn race. Like an egg race but you fill a bucket with candy corn. First team to the top wins.

What's in the Box ~ get various items that could be something else (jello for brains) put them in a box and make the kids feel inside and guess what it is.

Okay ~ I'll get more later.
Old 10-20-2008, 01:51 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Ooooh, Halloween is my favorite holiday! There are so many good ideas here, Dina. Some suggestions I have are having a Polaroid camera or a digital camera with a printer nearby so that each child (and adult) can go home with pics.

We also like to sit in a darkish room (or outside) in a circle around a "cauldron" that has a block of dry ice in it for the fog effect and a flashlight. Then we take turns telling spooky stories holding the flashlight under our chin. We video this and my kids still love watching ones from years ago.

Depending on the ages of the kids, I usually have a supply of make-up, plastic vampire teeth and fake scars, fake blood and spray on hair colors, hats and various other costume accessories. Even though they will all come in costume, they love changing and altering throughout the evening.

If you have access to a karaoke machine, that's lots of fun. They have quite a few Haloween mixes for this, but letting the kids just use the microphone to see who can make the spookiest sounds, the scariest scream, the creepiest sound effects, etc, is lots of fun.

I know your party will be fantastic! Be sure and post some pics.
Old 10-20-2008, 05:52 PM   #8
Head Chef

Make a kitty litter cake. lol
Old 10-20-2008, 06:49 PM   #9
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to goboenomo Send a message via MSN to goboenomo Send a message via Yahoo to goboenomo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dina View Post
Does anyone have some FUN tried and true party games for adults and children? We're have a few friends over with their kids in a couple of week and would like to make it fun for all ages. We only have a costume contest in mind. We could really use suggestions on cool games we can play.

Another question is what liquor would be most popular for this ocassion? I definitely cannot afford the whole liquor store, so suggestions on adult drinks and liquor suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
My mom is planning on playing "Tequila Piggies." You roll these 3 pigs, and depending on how they land, you, or someone else takes a shot.

I'm sure this game will end fast.
Old 10-20-2008, 08:50 PM   #10
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboenomo View Post
My mom is planning on playing "Tequila Piggies." You roll these 3 pigs, and depending on how they land, you, or someone else takes a shot.

I'm sure this game will end fast.
LOL, gobo!

Lee