"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-08-2016, 04:05 PM   #11
Head Chef

Mcdonalds

I just went through the MickyD's drive in. The drink machine is now fully automated. Gets its instructions from the order printer. Measures and pours the exact amount of ice and product and pops on the lid. Spits it out the other end lidded

Another soon to be fifteen buck job gone.

Old 07-08-2016, 04:56 PM   #12
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjim68 View Post
I just went through the MickyD's drive in. The drink machine is now fully automated. Gets its instructions from the order printer. Measures and pours the exact amount of ice and product and pops on the lid. Spits it out the other end lidded

All of the McDonalds around here just hand you a cup and you fill your own. I prefer that so I can refill it before I head out. So that job has been long gone for a while now.

Old 07-08-2016, 05:02 PM   #13
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
All of the McDonalds around here just hand you a cup and you fill your own. I prefer that so I can refill it before I head out. So that job has been long gone for a while now.
But you can't do that at the drive-thru.....
Old 07-09-2016, 01:22 AM   #14
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjim68 View Post

Inside some major fast food restaurants now, instead of a bunch of soda dispensers lined up now in row, there's one monster dispenser with only one shute. That means waiting until the person programming in their choice has finished. It used to be that 3 people could dispense their choice of soda from 5 separate dispensers at the same time, each labeled with the drink's name. The one big soda machine I saw in some fast food restaurants is new to me. Modernization. It makes sense tho. A lot less tube feed lines needed and less having to laboriously flush them all out from time to time.
Old 07-09-2016, 11:56 AM   #15
Master Chef

^^^^ It also discourages patrons from multiple refills when there's a line...
Old 07-09-2016, 01:21 PM   #16
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
But you can't do that at the drive-thru.....
In the drive-thru, the same person who hands your order out the window also is usually the one who fills the drink orders. Not that i'm opposed, but it seems like a rather insignificant part of the whole process. Short of total automation in the entire food line, I don't think that they gain anything with a robot drink fixer.
Old 07-09-2016, 01:39 PM   #17
Head Chef

Quote:
In the drive-thru, the same person who hands your order...
...will be all that's needed.
Old 07-09-2016, 01:52 PM   #18
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
...will be all that's needed.
Then where do kids go to find their first job? I've known families where every kid worked at McDonald's as soon as he or she was 16, until they finished high school.
Old 07-09-2016, 02:45 PM   #19
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zagut View Post
A computer is less likely to get your order wrong then a minimum wage human who doesn't really care.

And as far as it being sanitary.

I'd trust a robot over a human with questionable training (Did they really understand or care.) skills.

Some of those "Food Service Personal" believe rubber gloves are all it takes no matter what they do while wearing those gloves.
As someone who has worked both in fast food, yes for minimum wage, and in back and front of house for several different kind of restaurants, I can tell you the level of subsistence motivation doesn't really matter, they have the same motivation, to get through the night and not lose their job. And about a similar regard for your food.

Now a robot burger machine I would say would need to be cleaned out nightly, by someone, and likely field stripped and detail cleaned every two or even one week, to maintain hygiene. Remember, the sanitation of a machine is only as good as its maintenance. Generally when things are automated to a large extent, it only gets paid attention to it when it breaks.

So yeah, give me Bubba on the McDonald's grill (already McDonalds using reshipped frozen, minamal input from staff etc... is something I avoid) over robo-burgerchef. Bubba at least knows he can get fired, if a rat crawls into robo-burgercher, how long will it take people to find it? Don't laugh, one fast food place I worked for shut down their soft serve ice cream machine for the winter (amusement park), didn't clean it, and nobody checked it in May when we opened, took us four days of complaints before anyone figured it out, as the machine worked fine, just the taste was a little... off.
Old 07-09-2016, 03:16 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
I would rather have the self serve. I want less ice in mine. All it takes is one or two ice cubes to chill your drink. Even the large ones. Less ice, more soda.

Tags
ham, hamburger