Happy 150th Canada!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I hope all of the Canadian DC members have a wonderful Canada Day, eh?

fireworks-shutterstock.jpg

Are Newfies included?:angel: "Gord's Gold" is one of my favs!

Yes, Craig, Newfies are counted as Canadians...just a half hour later than the rest of us! :LOL:

(You may have to be Canadian to get that joke! ;)

Are Newfies included?:angel: "Gord's Gold" is one of my favs!

Even as a kid I always thought of the maritime islands as being part of Canada. Happy Birthday to our good neighbors north of us. From one neighbor south of you who never considered you as just the northern part of our own country. I always have known the difference.

But I did have some strange ideas of Canada growing up. I thought you had snow all year long. No summers at all. Also, all Native Americans were only in the lower 48. None lived in Canada. I also thought Quebec was a separate country because the spoke French. But the most silly one of all was that you had no cars because they would freeze up all the time and everyone used dog sleds.

But have no fear. As I learned international geography in later years, I learned just how wrong I was. And I found out also what great neighbors we had.

Um, LP, wouldn't they greet the the holiday a half-hour before the rest of Canada? :huh: After all, Newfoundland IS the eastern-most part of Canada. :mrgreen:

CG, the old joke has always been "The world will end at noon tomorrow... 12:30 in Newfoundland! It was probably some West Coasters who made it up!:LOL: But technically yes, they would be first!

CG, the old joke has always been "The world will end at noon tomorrow... 12:30 in Newfoundland! It was probably some West Coasters who made it up!:LOL: But technically yes, they would be first!
It's from TV. If a show comes on at 8 P.M. everywhere in Canada, it comes on at 8:30 P.M. in Newfoundland and Labrador. The announcers say "... at eight o'clock, eight thirty in Newfoundland." They are time wise ahead of the rest of Canada, but it's later for them.

Newfoundland and Labrador joined Canada's Confederation in 1949.

It's from TV. If a show comes on at 8 P.M. everywhere in Canada, it comes on at 8:30 P.M. in Newfoundland and Labrador. The announcers say "... at eight o'clock, eight thirty in Newfoundland." They are time wise ahead of the rest of Canada, but it's later for them.

Newfoundland and Labrador joined Canada's Confederation in 1949.

Yes, I know it is from TV. It just became a joke after that regarding the "end of the world". I heard it growing up on the prairies and when I moved to the West Coast.

And Newfoundland and Labrador are all one now. I forgot to mention Labrador before. :)

Belated birthday wishes to our northern neighbor - or should I say neighbour! :LOL: You have a lovely country, but too cold for my liking.

Canada is not all cold and not always cold. Here in the West we are having some beautiful sunny and warm weather. We also don't get as cold as the North and East of the country do.

And you are correct on the spelling of neighbour. We use half British English and half American English to make our own unique blend! :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom