Happy Birthday To Americans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Addie

Chef Extraordinaire
I know, it is not the 4th quite yet. But I am going by the Saturday/Sunday holiday law. But according to our Government, when a holiday falls on a Saturday, then the day before is the official holiday. So Happy Birthday to All Americans and those that are studying to be one.

What are your plans for the big day? BBQing? Opening the pool? Visiting someone else at their backyard for the fun times? My daughter is going up to NH for the whole weekend. They have friends that live right on the lake and yet have a huge swimming pool. About 15+ years ago, I went up there with them. I was taught that when you visit a home for the first time, you go with a gift in hand. So I bought a set of horseshoes for Eddie and his wide. . Every weekend that the house is open and someone is up there, that set comes out and they have some serious games. I thought for sure that some of the shoes would be damaged or lost. Nope. They take care of that game of horseshoes as if it was one of the kids. Eddie even now keeps a large note book with everyone's scores, when the game was played, etc. They have even had tournaments.

So give yourself a treat and buy a horseshoe set. All you have to do is just set it up when you are expecting to hold activities in the yard. The game has a life of its own. Someone will pickup that first horseshoe, and the game is on. :angel:

Last edited:
img_1427928_0_7438fbbfbb1d3fd23a61c688b496766d.jpg

Having the privilege of standing in Independence Hall in Philadelphia just last month, this Independence Day is especially reflective for us. To actually be in the room where it all happened was remarkable.
Happy birthday USA!!

We'll be celebrating with waving flags and a barbeque.

We always had a horseshoe pit when I was a kid and it was great fun for people of all ages. I'm afraid that today the idea of tossing 2-3 pound chunks of cast iron at your opponent or a group of innocent bystanders would only excite lawyers and insurance salesmen, very sad.

Quiet day planned at my house. Shrimp salad, broccoli salad and a hot dog or two spread over lunch and dinner A low carb version of a tin roof sundae for a cool treat to finish off the day. :yum:

We are on our way to my in-laws for several days, so whatever they have in mind is what we'll do.

Aunt Bea, I wonder if that's why so many people play corn hole these days. Bean bags aren't very dangerous :LOL:

Happy Independence Day!

Last edited:
Speaking of horseshoes, Does anyone else remember summer days in the 80s spent playing Lawn Darts (aka "Jarts")? Those things would just as easily puncture one's foot as hit the intended target - especially after downing a few too many brandy slushes. :LOL:

Ah yes... the good old days. When men were men, and the lawn games had built-in elements of danger.

Oh yes, I remember Jarts. I was over at a friend's house, probably in my early teens, and her brother threw one and it punctured her calf. Nice, neat hole.

img_1427958_0_7438fbbfbb1d3fd23a61c688b496766d.jpg

Having the privilege of standing in Independence Hall in Philadelphia just last month, this Independence Day is especially reflective for us. To actually be in the room where it all happened was remarkable.
Happy birthday USA!!

Kayelle, my sister went there and stated to cry. But she wasn't the only one who was overwhelmed with emotion.

Boston is so filled with the history of the beginning of the struggle of our country's beginning. In warm weather I would sit outside on a piece of our history and dwell on it while I ate my lunch. It never failed to leave me filled with awe at their determination to have their freedom. :angel:

Oh yes, I remember Jarts. I was over at a friend's house, probably in my early teens, and her brother threw one and it punctured her calf. Nice, neat hole.

And when one landed on a child's head, and the microbes from the dirt created an infection and the child died. Yeah, the good old days. No wonder they were considered illegal and no longer made. I will settle for horseshoes any day.

Being a man's man to me means thinking of the safety and well being of everyone. Not just showing how manly one can be while in a drunken stupor. :angel:

Kayelle, my sister went there and stated to cry. But she wasn't the only one who was overwhelmed with emotion.
:angel:

Yes, being there in the room was so emotional for all of our tour group, dedicated to the history of our nation.
It was so sad to hear on the radio today, how many people (mostly young) who haven't a clue exactly what the celebration is all about. Sigh.:(

Neighbor up the street had a nice horseshoe pit. Organized a neighborhood league, too. He had fun. He also had a wife and two kids. Seems like he had so much fun hangin' with the guys he ended up divorcing the wife. I rarely see him on the street visiting his kids. ~ I think we'll stick to Croquet. Still have the old set from when I was a kid. Wooden balls. Probably no safer than those horseshoes, from a lawsuit standpoint...:ermm:

Weather willing, we'll grill out. Just the two of us. And think about all the battlefields and historic sites we've visited over the decades. I was just talking to someone today who said they were taking a leisurely drive down to FL to visit family, was there anywhere I could suggest to stop? I told her to take her two kids to Fort McHenry. We stopped there on our way back from Williamsburg one year. It was evening, just a couple people around. A bagpiper was walking the earthen embankment at the top of the fort, playing "Taps". When he was done I looked around. Just Himself and me at one end of the fort, another couple waaaaayyy on the other side. I faced the flag, cleared my throat, and sang our National Anthem. So proud and happy to be a U.S. citizen that day, and every day.

Neighbor up the street had a nice horseshoe pit. Organized a neighborhood league, too. He had fun. He also had a wife and two kids. Seems like he had so much fun hanging' with the guys he ended up divorcing the wife. I rarely see him on the street visiting his kids. ~ I think we'll stick to Croquet. Still have the old set from when I was a kid. Wooden balls. Probably no safer than those horseshoes, from a lawsuit standpoint...:ermm:

Weather willing, we'll grill out. Just the two of us. And think about all the battlefields and historic sites we've visited over the decades. I was just talking to someone today who said they were taking a leisurely drive down to FL to visit family, was there anywhere I could suggest to stop? I told her to take her two kids to Fort McHenry. We stopped there on our way back from Williamsburg one year. It was evening, just a couple people around. A bagpiper was walking the earthen embankment at the top of the fort, playing "Taps". When he was done I looked around. Just Himself and me at one end of the fort, another couple waaaaayyy on the other side. I faced the flag, cleared my throat, and sang our National Anthem. So proud and happy to be a U.S. citizen that day, and every day.

Thank you for singing "our" song. Today, very sadly, they no longer say the Pledge of Allegiance to our flag in school, they don't place their hand over their heart when they see our flag passing in a parade, the males no longer take off their hats as the flag passes. and they complain that they have to stand when they sing or play The Star Spangle Banner at sporting events. Today's young parents have no idea of any of this to pass down to their children. And our schools don't teach any of it. So where do today's children learn this. I guess it is up to us, the grandparents that learned all of this growing up. I can't remember the last time I heard the Pledge of Allegiance spoken. I wonder if it is a requirement for folks who want to be citizens to even learn it. It used to be.

Okay, I am off my soapbox. But it still breaks my heart to think of all of this. :angel:

Today, very sadly, they no longer say the Pledge of Allegiance to our flag in school, they don't place their hand over their heart when they see our flag passing in a parade, the males no longer take off their hats as the flag passes. and they complain that they have to stand when they sing or play The Star Spangle Banner at sporting events.

None of this is true in the town where I live.

img_1427981_0_7438fbbfbb1d3fd23a61c688b496766d.jpg

Happy birthday USA!!

Please wait till the BBQ is cold before waving it!! :angel:
Happy 4th!

img_1427981_1_2d499ba9a33656690897dd7559622130.jpg

Last edited:
It's finally sunny, but still in the 90s.

I'm enjoying a cooking day after my marathon shopping yesterday.

I'm also enjoying wearing a new red, white and blue plaid shirt.

It's a great day.

I'm thankful to be an American with social security, food stamps and low income housing. I feel very very lucky to have all this so I can enjoy my "golden years."

It's finally sunny, but still in the 90s.

I'm enjoying a cooking day after my marathon shopping yesterday.

I'm also enjoying wearing a new red, white and blue plaid shirt.

It's a great day.

I'm thankful to be an American with social security, food stamps and low income housing. I feel very very lucky to have all this so I can enjoy my "golden years."

I am with you on that Z. We are able to enjoy this time in our lives. We can't have all those dreams we had for years, but is okay. We have something better. Peace of mind.

I don't know about the part of the country where you live. But here in Boston, we have a ton of free treats. Transportation for shopping. Where ever you want to go. And the driver will bring in all your bags. Free transportation to and from all medical appointments. Five major hospitals that are all teaching institutions. And they all are involved with research. Each facility has it own subject and disease to research. We have one of the finest children's hospital on the continent. And we also have the premier institution for diabetes. The Joslin Clinic. Quite a few elderly have diabetes. A lot of great findings have come from them with their research.

We have more than 500 institutions of higher learning. Some are very small and specialized, but the student do very well and can have a job waiting for them when they graduate. And if the school receives any monies from the state or federal government, senior citizens can attend free. And on and on. Senior citizens in this city are well looked after.

With all the social and medical programs for senior citizens, we have nothing to complain about. Not only are our needs being met and supplied, but also our social needs. There is no reason why anyone of senior years should be lonely. A lot of the colleges and university make it mandatory that in order to graduate, you have to do volunteer work. And most of those kids choose to work with senior citizens. A study once showed that when senior citizens are exposed on a daily basis to young people, they fare much better. They found that the attitude of the young people was infectious. They love to hear about their comings and goings.

:wub: I am forever grateful for living in this city. :angel:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom