Happy Chanukah (December 16)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amber

Executive Chef
To all of our DC friends, I wish you all a very happy chanukah (Hannukah) :)

I hope you all have a wonderful day with family and friends, and lots of great food!:chef:

Happy Hanukkah

menorah1.gif
I'm ready for my favorite - Latkes
  • 1 lb potatoes
  • 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
  • 1 large egg, lightly beaten
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 to 3/4 cup olive oil
  • Peel potatoes, grate and put in cold water. Soak a couple minutes and drain well.
  • Place potatoes and finely grated (key) onion on tea towel, roll as you would a jelly roll, and wring tightly.
  • Mix together with egg and salt.
  • Heat skillet to medium high. If the oil starts smoking cook it down first.
  • Use about 4 TBS or so in a small skillet and place about 1/8 of a cup of mixture into pan spreading out into roughly a 3" disk.
  • My mother always had a special fork she used to flatten them out.
  • Cook about 5 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
  • Drain on tea towel or paper towels then transfer to a cookie cooling rack set in a jellyroll pan or cake pan in a low temperature oven.
  • This method of allowing air to move under them will keep them crisp!
  • Add more oil as needed, allow to heat back up to prevent soggy latkes and repeat cooking process.
  • Keep everyone out of the kitchen or there won't be ANY to sit down to!!!
  • Serve with sour cream and applesauce.

I think it actually began at sundown tonight (15th?), but I could be out to lunch on that. In any case Happy Hannukah all! Spin that dreidel!

Goboenomo, no, we do not celebrate Hannukah (I always get very confused about the spelling).

But wishing a person who does, I believe, goes beyond respect.

I think it is an acknowlegement that we are all just folks, that we share the same feelings, the same desires, sadly, the same problems, and that we are all in this communal gemish we call life together.

These eight days are, in my limited understanding of Jewish tradition, a family time, a time of joy.

And so I wish you and your family, and indeed all DC folks who celebrate Hannukah, a happy and peaceful time.

God bless and take care.

Happy Hanukkah DC friends.
Shalom,
kadesma

Last edited:
A very Happy Hannukah to all who celebrate. And yes there are several people here that do. Elf can I come over and get some latkes ? I love them !

Alix said:
I think it actually began at sundown tonight (15th?), but I could be out to lunch on that. In any case Happy Hannukah all! Spin that dreidel!

You are right Alix but about that "out to lunch" :LOL:

GB - are you celebrating with any new and different recipes? What's your favorite of all favorites?

Thank you very much for wishing us a Happy Hanukkah and I just wanted to say that Chanukah is not spelled that way.

It lasts for 8 days and we light a candle each day. I really look forward to it each year.

Thank everyone again.

happy hannukah everyone!!!!!

may love and warmth fill your homes this season, and all the year through!

sorry i'm late, but you know what they say in the hood: "ain't no party like a macabee party, 'cause a macabee part won't stop! wave your oil lamps in the air like you just don't care and scream -- oooooooohhhh, oy." (a jewish neighborhood in this case. :) )

Alix said:
You are spot on, Alix! and we had Latkes Saturday night. :)

The big mistake in Latke making in America is consistency of the ingredients. You know the big square greater, I’m sure many of you do, well, in America, for some reason people use the big whole side, No-No and again No. Wrong. Very wrong. As the matter of fact, it is the small size holes, the so-called cheese greater that was called Potato Greater in Russia. And obviously, latkes come from Russia/Ukraine so we do claim the rights for the recipe. So that is the side to use.
Now, after you grate potato and onion (not chopped) on the small hole side of the greater (do not worry about draining the liquid) add eggs and flour. Let’s say 4 medium potatoes
1 very small onion, preferably sweet one. Don’t forget that originally, onion was used to prevent potato from getting dark; some people may like the added flavor though.
2 eggs
½ cup of flour
Salt and pepper to taste.

The very important step in making latkes is the use of baking powder or baking soda. I Use the latter. About ¾ to 1 tspoon of baking soda in the big spoon, add some vinegar until the reaction stops, oh about a table spoon of vinegar. Now mix everything well and fry. A note about flour, when you fry the pancakes they should rise, that’s the soda working, however if you do not have enough flour they, the pancakes will not rise. So make just couple and see what is going on. Also, taste, you may want to add some salt or pepper.

All right, now that I said all of that A very Happy Chanuka!

For those who really is looking for something to do:

Pancakes with salmon caviar

Makes 4 servings.

Ingredients:

250 gr buckwheat flour
250 gr all purpose plain flour
250 ml of milk
0,1 liter cream
4 eggs
1 tablespoon sugar
25-30 gr yeast
2 tablespoons butter
salt
vegetable oil
sour cream
4-8 slices smoked salmon

250 gr salmon caviar.

Warm up half of the milk and stir in the yeast, until dissolved. Then pour into a large bowl. Add the buckwheat flour to the mixture. Mix well and set aside in a warm place for a couple of minutes. When the dough begins to rise, mix gently and gradually with a wooden spoon, adding the plain flour and the remaining milk.

Melt the butter and mix egg yolks into it, add sugar and a pinch of salt. Add the mixture to the dough. Whip the cream and mix with egg whites. Add the mixture to the dough and set aside in a warm place for 15-20 minutes.

Heat a little oil in a small frying pan and pour in enough batter to make a pancake. Quickly tilt and rotate the frying pan so that the batter coats the bottom of it evenly.

Fry the pancakes on both sides for about one minute until they're gold brown and risen.

Carefully turn the pancake over and brown the other side in the same way. Keep pancakes warm until serving.

Serve pancakes warm along with caviar, sour cream and slices of smoked salmon.

Thank you dear friends for the Hannukah Greetings!!! We had a latka party yesterday and it was a great success....Made lacy ones and dense ones.....think the dense latkas won hands down!!!!...lol.....

Back
Top Bottom