"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-30-2009, 06:13 PM   #11
Traveling Welcome Wagon

We both had excellent check-ups at the doctor today, so that was good. A few months ago I won a $25 gas card, but for some reason it didn't work the two times I tried it. I think it was because the gas came to more than $25, and even though I was going to pay for the extra, it didn't work--I think it was actually human error (the person behind the counter). I noticed that it didn't say it had to be used for gas, and that it could be used anywhere that took MasterCard, so we were able to get $25 in groceries on our way home. A little store we like to go to had some good sale prices on meat (they have really good meat there too), so we got some pork chops, ground beef, chicken, and a few packages of beef hotdogs, as well as a few 2-liter bottles of Diet Pepsi, a 12-pack of Sierra Mist Cranberry Splash (not our favorite, but it was $1 for the 12-pack), and a couple packages of sauerkraut. So it has been a good day for us too!

Barbara

Old 01-30-2009, 06:48 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Good for you, Barbara! It's always a good day when you find food on sale! I have to go to the store in a little while so I hope I'll have the same luck.

Old 01-30-2009, 06:50 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
Amen babetoo!

And FM, I know what you mean about down in the dumps. Its hard to lose someone around here. All of us feel a bit bruised I think.

I just survived the mall crawl with my two girls. YEEK! Biggest freaking mall in North America and the little one decides at one end she needs to go all the way back to the other end. BLAH!!! LOL!

Still, we had lunch and shopped and giggled and life is sweet.
I haven't been to a mall in years. I miss it. When you have boys, you end up at the arcade or the video game store.
Old 01-30-2009, 07:01 PM   #14
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher's Mom View Post
I haven't been to a mall in years. I miss it. When you have boys, you end up at the arcade or the video game store.
Oh yeah,I remember those days Fisher's Mom. Glad everyone is having a good day.I caught a little nap this afternoon and it was blissful.
Old 01-30-2009, 07:17 PM   #15
Everymom

Ooooooooooooooooo! A NAP! That is sweet indeed!
Old 01-30-2009, 07:55 PM   #16
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Our day just got happier! We just received a phone call from one of the sweetest people in the world--Laurie. She is just as sweet and real on the phone as she is here.

Thanks Laurie! We had such a great time talking to you!

Barbara
Old 01-30-2009, 07:56 PM   #17
Master Chef

I haven't really had a bad day, but I can't get around in all this snow and ice, and I am getting CABIN FEVER!
Old 01-30-2009, 08:13 PM   #18
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Hang out with us Connie! We'll get you through it!

Barbara
Old 01-30-2009, 08:31 PM   #19
Certified Cake Maniac

Barbara, you and James made my day happy. It was wonderful talking to you both!

And tonight I am meeting with one of my summer brides. I am doing her wedding cake on June 27th. Or should I say wedding cakes!! The place where they are having the receiption charges an arm and a leg for cake cutting so we are doing 150 mini cakes (not cupcakes) and one layer for them to do the ceremonial cutting on. She has been one of my "kids" for years, worked for us as my web design assistant but now she is in 2nd year medical school (and marrying an engineer!). I love her to bits and can't wait to nail down the design of this cake tonight.

So in spite of the fact my leg has been extra swollen and painful today, I am having a VERY happy day!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 10:06 PM   #20
Head Chef

It is too early for me to have a happy day. I am still grieving the loss of my friend, Dave Hutchins. I miss him and our long chats. A door has been closed and I am sad.