"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-06-2005, 10:30 AM   #11
Cook

Send a message via AIM to lmw80 Send a message via MSN to lmw80 Send a message via Yahoo to lmw80
I am jewish and do not understand why people get offended! I always say happy holidays if I don't know for sure if the person celebrates christmas or not, but most of the time I say merry christmas. I don't even correct people when they tell me merry christmas...I just say thank you, you too. It's such a happy time of year, and it bothers me that people have to ruin it by being "offended"! I love looking at the decorated houses and singing along with the christmas songs on the radio. I mean, what is there not to like??

Old 12-06-2005, 10:44 AM   #12
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmw80
I am jewish and do not understand why people get offended! I always say happy holidays if I don't know for sure if the person celebrates christmas or not, but most of the time I say merry christmas. I don't even correct people when they tell me merry christmas...I just say thank you, you too. It's such a happy time of year, and it bothers me that people have to ruin it by being "offended"! I love looking at the decorated houses and singing along with the christmas songs on the radio. I mean, what is there not to like??
Lori:

I like your positive attitude. Thanks for sharing.

Old 12-10-2005, 02:18 AM   #13
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to thier1754
Lori, you said it all. This overly-pc "holiday" problem has only become a blatant issue in the past decade or so, but it's been building for a while. How silly. Saying "Merry Christmas" is not an evangelistic tool. It's a happy greeting among all of us that acknowleges a beautiful time of year and, for Christians, it has a deeper meaning. So...Merry Christmas everybody!
Old 12-10-2005, 04:08 AM   #14
Sous Chef

I'm with Bucky on the porch with the cane. (Bucky can I bring my double barrell instead? .410's beat a full house any day LOL!)

Merry Christmas OR ELSE!

~ Raven ~

A great nation is not built in a lifetime, but in the lifetimes of many. - Support our troops.
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 01:32 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
Lori:

I like your positive attitude. Thanks for sharing.
I agree 100%!

Old 12-10-2005, 03:29 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Isn't it a bit crazy that someone seeks to change every aspect of life that is good while allowing all sorts of dirt to permeate our air waves, give it to our children and expect us not to complain? I say if you don't want to celebrate Christmas, so what? but stay out of the business of telling others what to do. Personally, I refuse to buy from any store that decides to be so politically correct that they ignore all my wishes. If I see a person I know is Jewish, I wish them Happy Hanukka, or whatever holiday they are celebrating at the time. I refuse to give in to those seeking to make all of us just like them, but with no rights.
Old 12-10-2005, 06:35 PM   #17
Everymom

You know, I love to see what you all have written, it does my heart good to see that we are all so tolerant of each others differences. I love to learn about different religions and celebrations (as GB will likely attest cuz I pester him a lot!) and I think that everyone deserves to celebrate their own and say what they please. Its lovely to see so many like minded folk here.
Old 12-10-2005, 08:29 PM   #18
Cooking Links Contest Winner

Send a message via Yahoo to shannon in KS
I agree Alix! It is all a matter of respecting other's opinions. You get hundreds of DC people together from all over the world and different backgrounds, there is bound to be disagreements in opinion and such, but we all seem to come together! It is enlightening though, to learn about other cultures, religions, traditions- it can help us understand others, and OURSELVES better by helping us look at our lives from a new perspective. Sometimes, we need to put everything aside, and see the beauty in our friends, and the simple fact that we are all human! We are all in this life together, whether we are on different paths or not, at different points in our lives. I have met people before, who I totally clash with, and meet them a year later, and they are a totally different person, or is it me that has changed and I see them in a different light? Through our ever-changing lives, I wish the best to you all, happiness!
Old 12-10-2005, 08:51 PM   #19
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to BigDog Send a message via Yahoo to BigDog
Merry Christmas, Happy New Year, or Happy Holidays are my usual greetings, in that order. I hear Season's Greetings too, but I question the need for greetings for the specific season of winter. Don't usually hear of spring greetings, or the others.

As for the PC mumbo jumbo bull shavick, I'm not clairvoyant (sp?) so if I choose the wrong greeting to greet you with, build a bridge and get over it. At least I am being cordial enough to greet you. It's nice to see responses like lmw80. Most people get all bent out of shape when you greet them with a seasonal phrase that does not apply to them. Unless one is wearing traditional dress of their culture/heritage, how are you to know? Side note to that, many don't know what traditional dress is for many cultures! Guess they're really screwed, eh?

I don't get bent out of shape when I'm told Happy Halloween on the approriate day, though it is not a day that I participate in the "traditional" events.

Wish more of the world had paradigms along lmw80's line . . . . .
Old 12-11-2005, 10:02 PM   #20
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
I like this thread about diversity celebrations! In my Latin culture, we say "Feliz Navidad" and celebrate on Christmas Eve which we call "Noche Buena". We have a big feast for dinner on Christmas Eve, kids start opening presents around 11:00 or midnight, nooner if the little ones are sleepy. We don't usually have a specific place to be on Christmas. My husband's family is in Dallas and mine are in south Texas. We travel every other Christmas to visit up in Dallas (as we will this year). We just love being around family and the kids, especially, love to be around their grandparents, aunts, uncles, etc. So Feliz Navidad to everyone!