"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-26-2017, 09:07 AM   #1
Senior Cook

Happy News! My alter ego to Petty Vents

Since I spent enough space venting I thought I would spend some space with some happy news...and I have lots!
1. Got my new surgery date of Aug 8th. Not even one of Lou's days in the OR but he wanted me to be the only case that day as it's a long surgery and needed special permission to get another day.
2. No need to redo my presurgical testing
3. Since my heart was in perfect shape the cardiologist will sign off on another cardiac clearance with no repeat testing.
4. The blueberry farm was open yesterday and Debbie, the head farmer brought the berries right out to the car so no walking needed.
5. I always get my grandson from Friday to Saturday night (since birth) but since I'm home my daughter and son-in-law wanted a date and asked if I could watch Zach on Thursday afternoon! He is the best medicine I could ever receive.
6. After several days of rain, the sun is out, it's not humid and my hips are tolerable. Time for coffee on the deck!

Old 07-26-2017, 09:22 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Happy news indeed...

Ross

Old 07-26-2017, 04:29 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Pace yourself, Rparrny, or you might have to vent about wearing yourself out celebrating so much happy news! Seriously, though, that is great news about the hip surgery. Do I remember correctly that you said you are having both hips done at the same time? My bionic friend just had her second hip replaced earlier this year, her fourth joint overall. She now has two good hips and two good knees, and there is no way she or her doctor would have attempted dual surgery on any one of those areas. Good luck with your surgery.

BTW, if you're gonna make a habit of having good news, we have two regular threads where we all share the happy stuff: Last thing that made you smile, and The Thankfulness Club. Many of us has subscribed to those threads because reading good news is always very welcome! If catching up on other threads gets you down, there are many posts there that will cheer you right up again.

Remember, all that matters in the end is getting the meal on the table. ~ Julia Child
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 04:57 PM   #4
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Pace yourself, Rparrny, or you might have to vent about wearing yourself out celebrating so much happy news! Seriously, though, that is great news about the hip surgery. Do I remember correctly that you said you are having both hips done at the same time? My bionic friend just had her second hip replaced earlier this year, her fourth joint overall. She now has two good hips and two good knees, and there is no way she or her doctor would have attempted dual surgery on any one of those areas. Good luck with your surgery.

BTW, if you're gonna make a habit of having good news, we have two regular threads where we all share the happy stuff: Last thing that made you smile, and The Thankfulness Club. Many of us has subscribed to those threads because reading good news is always very welcome! If catching up on other threads gets you down, there are many posts there that will cheer you right up again.
Thank you for the well wishes! My hips are the result of a congential defect and are as severe as they get...docs, radiologists and surgeons look at me in shock when they see the films...and that was back in May and they are so much worse now. I have a very unusually high tolerance for pain and because the surgeon knows the amount of pain I'm in based on the imaging, he says that post operative pain will be a fraction of what I live with everyday. He's also a long time friend and knows the family's weird genetic history about warp speed healing from surgery. He thought I was nuts when I had an abdominal hysterectomy on Friday and went back to work on Monday, but I did just fine. He did my Mom's hips as well, she went home on the second post op day, was walking up and down stairs at home on day 3 and ditched the cane on day 4. My brother is a cop in Arizona...last year his police SUV flipped over several times and he severely broke his neck. He was discharged home from the ICU the next day...that never happens...lol, I was talking to his nurse and said "I'll bet you guys don't even know how to discharge a patient", he said "Nope, we've never done it before". He was back at a desk job with a halo 4 weeks later (he wanted to go back the next week but they wouldn't let him) His neurosurgeon gave him a 50/50 chance of needing surgery but because of his good health, he would give it 6 months. Six months later, the neck is perfect...no pain, no arthritic changes...nothing.
I did a little herbal intervention but like I said, we heal at warp speed...it's got to be genetic. So between my genetics and my tolerance for pain...I should ace it. It will be a long surgery, but I'm his only case that day and I won't be intubated, so I'm not so concerned about the time length.
Just want it over already...
Old 07-26-2017, 08:23 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Rock on!
roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 08:19 AM   #6
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post

Thank you for posting links to these threads, CG..

I DO like good news..

Ross
Old 07-27-2017, 10:19 AM   #7
Head Chef

Yay for you!

I forgot to tell everyone - Mom got good news from her MRI, no fluid or anything in the brain or in the inner ears. They say her hearing loss is nerve-damage related to old age. She has her hearing aids now, and the TV is so much softer!
cjmmytunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 05:30 PM   #8
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjmmytunes View Post
Yay for you!

I forgot to tell everyone - Mom got good news from her MRI, no fluid or anything in the brain or in the inner ears. They say her hearing loss is nerve-damage related to old age. She has her hearing aids now, and the TV is so much softer!
congrads on the happy news!
Old 07-28-2017, 08:14 AM   #9
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rparrny View Post
congrads on the happy news!
Thanks!
cjmmytunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 08:29 AM   #10
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rparrny View Post
Since I spent enough space venting I thought I would spend some space with some happy news...and I have lots!
1. Got my new surgery date of Aug 8th. Not even one of Lou's days in the OR but he wanted me to be the only case that day as it's a long surgery and needed special permission to get another day.
2. No need to redo my presurgical testing
3. Since my heart was in perfect shape the cardiologist will sign off on another cardiac clearance with no repeat testing.
4. The blueberry farm was open yesterday and Debbie, the head farmer brought the berries right out to the car so no walking needed.
5. I always get my grandson from Friday to Saturday night (since birth) but since I'm home my daughter and son-in-law wanted a date and asked if I could watch Zach on Thursday afternoon! He is the best medicine I could ever receive.
6. After several days of rain, the sun is out, it's not humid and my hips are tolerable. Time for coffee on the deck!
Nice to hear. All the bestfor your op.