"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-27-2006, 06:18 PM   #11
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
LOL that is pretty funny Mish

liketobake, I agree dogs should not drink (and I am sure this picture is just a joke), but why do you think people should not drink? It has been shown time and time again that in the proper amounts alcohol is a good thing for people.
Alcohol kills brain cells. Yes in some studies it has been shown to in very small amount decrease the risk of cancer.
Alcohol causes distructive behaviour. Drinking and driving. This doesn't just mean cars and other automobiles, what about trains and planes. There have been accidents from drunk drivers of these as well, and they killed many more people then just themselves.
Fetal alcohol syndrome. A large percentage of these babies grow up to be criminals. Women who don't know they are pregnant drink, and harm their baby without even knowing it until it it too late. It's sad to see this.

I don't hate alcohol or think it should be banned. I simply think it is not the best thing for you so why consume it. Also on a very superficial note, is has so many calories which means countless hours at the gym to burn it off. Why bother?

Old 06-27-2006, 07:04 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug
so that's why they lie around on Saturday mornings, half asleep and twitching...........
And dog tired.

Old 06-27-2006, 07:57 PM   #13
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by liketobake
Alcohol kills brain cells. Yes in some studies it has been shown to in very small amount decrease the risk of cancer.
Alcohol causes distructive behaviour. Drinking and driving. This doesn't just mean cars and other automobiles, what about trains and planes. There have been accidents from drunk drivers of these as well, and they killed many more people then just themselves.
Fetal alcohol syndrome. A large percentage of these babies grow up to be criminals. Women who don't know they are pregnant drink, and harm their baby without even knowing it until it it too late. It's sad to see this.

I don't hate alcohol or think it should be banned. I simply think it is not the best thing for you so why consume it. Also on a very superficial note, is has so many calories which means countless hours at the gym to burn it off. Why bother?
All of the negatives you mentioned (with the exception of killing brain cells, but everything kills those) are only caused by excessive alcohol consumption. None of those things occur if you drink in the right amounts.

The benefits from alcohol are much much more than just "a very small decrease in cancer". Moderate consumption can reduce in risk of coronary artery disease, is good for the circulatory system, probably protects against type 2 diabetes and gallstones.

Here is a quote from this Harvard site.
Quote:
More than 100 prospective studies show an inverse association between moderate drinking and risk of heart attack, ischemic (clot-caused) stroke, peripheral vascular disease, sudden cardiac death, and death from all cardiovascular causes.(4) The effect is fairly consistent, corresponding to a 25-40% reduction in risk. Results of some of the largest of these are summarized in Table 1.
The connection between moderate drinking and lower risk of cardiovascular disease has been observed in men and women. It applies to people who do not apparently have heart disease. It also applies to those at high risk for having a heart attack or stroke or dying of cardiovascular disease - people with type 2 diabetes (5) and those with high blood pressure, angina (chest pain), a prior heart attack, or other forms of cardiovascular disease.(5-8)
Another quote from the same site.
Quote:
The benefits of moderate drinking aren't limited to the heart. In both the Nurses' Health Study and the Health Professionals Follow-up Study, gallstones and type 2 diabetes were less likely to occur in moderate drinkers than in nondrinkers. (11-13)

The social and psychological benefits of alcohol can't be ignored. A drink before a meal can improve digestion or offer a soothing respite at the end of a stressful day; the occasional drink with friends can be a social tonic. These physical and psychic effects may contribute to health and wellbeing.
I agree that when over consumed all of those benefits go out the window and all the things you mentioned and more then become possible, but to say that alcohol is bad for humans just is not really true.
Old 06-27-2006, 09:27 PM   #14
Senior Cook

You have to wonder who funds those studies...
Old 06-27-2006, 09:28 PM   #15
Chief Eating Officer

Well the studies I quoted from came from Harvard University, but hundreds of other reputable scientists and doctors have came to the same conclusions.
Old 06-27-2006, 11:50 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Alcohol kills brain cells.
yes, but only the weak ones.

j/k, as far as the sociologic effects of alcohol consumption, well, that's a debate with endless avenues.

really, it is a substance that's not for everyone. some people are "directions: instant a$$hole, just add alcohol".

but for others, it is everything from a stress reducing agent, to a vehicle for creative release. half of the world's best literarure and music might not exist if not for booze, i dare say.

so, dogs of the world, drink up! and get to writing down all of that embarassing stuff you've witnessed your human do over the years...

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 12:53 AM   #17
Senior Cook

so, dogs of the world, drink up! and get to writing down all of that embarassing stuff you've witnessed your human do over the years...

Hehe Buckytom your funny

Old 06-28-2006, 05:17 AM   #18
Executive Chef

Quote:
Why bother getting in a car? It's basically a bomb on wheels. Why bother getting in a plane? It's basically a flying combustible bird. Why breathe any air? It's all polluted anyway. Why bother living? We all die in the end.

What does all of this have in common with drinking alcohol?

Context. Figure it out.
Old 06-28-2006, 04:11 PM   #19
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
Well the studies I quoted from came from Harvard University, but hundreds of other reputable scientists and doctors have came to the same conclusions.
The people you mentioned are those that conduct the study. The people who fund it, are not the doctors or scientists. Yes a small percecntage of those studies will be funded by say the cancer foundation. However a vast majority of them will be funded by companies who have an invested interest in the results of those studies. It is the same with the pharmaceutical companies.
Old 06-28-2006, 04:15 PM   #20
Chief Eating Officer

The studies at Harvard University are not funded by the cancer foundation. I am not really sure where you are getting your information from. Are you just making assumptions or do you have anything to back up these claims?