"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Old 02-14-2015, 07:13 AM   #1
Head Chef
Happy Valentine's Day to All

What are your plans for Valentines.
We always hated the pressure and the commercializing of Valentines day.
We don't do expensive gifts. I always told my husband don't ever buy me roses, way to much money for a short life span. Buy me the rose bush instead, 37 yrs I have great rose garden.
Weather is horrible here in the Finger lakes of NY, so it is a quiet day spending it together. We are expecting another snow storm this afternoon so we are going out to lunch and then we are making pizza tonight
Heart shape cookies for dessert.
Enjoy your day with your loved ones

One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching
letscook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 08:40 AM   #2
Ogress Supreme
Site Administrator
We have a New York Cheesecake to enjoy with Raspberry Sauce.

I have a collection of roses, glass, cloth, ceramic, pictures, etc. Shrek doesn't buy real flowers.

PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 09:13 AM   #3
Head Chef
We exchange cards, then usually a nice meal at home. My wife was in Denver yesterday, and stopped at Tony's Meat Market and picked up a couple of very pricey, dry aged, bone in rib steaks. I'll be putting them on the grill this evening. That's our celebration.
RPCookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 11:23 AM   #4
Executive Chef
We are going to grand opening of a brand new Mexican restaurant that is opening in our neighborhood. We know it will be good as they have another one in town.

I have no card yet or box of chocolates. But i am going to get them soon and have them ready to give her.

I hate Valentines day as much as christmas. I am sick and tired of other people telling me when i should buy someone a gift.
Roll_Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 11:51 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Even though one could say we're still newly-married (5 years now), we don't get goofy about Valentine's Day at our age, but we do have fun with the day.

Thursday Glenn suggested we drive to a favorite restaurant for one of their delicious catfish meals. Didn't have to ask me twice. As usual, the meal was perfect and the hushpuppies practically floated off our plates. Sooooo good. Only wish we'd had room to have a piece of one of their devilishly-tempting pies for dessert. One day.....

As for today, when I woke up and rolled over, I was greeted by a card being flashed across my face. Don't know where Glenn had stashed it but there it was and it was one of the funniest cards I'd ever seen. I can fully understand why he said he burst out laughing in the store when he first read it. He told me that this was my "funny" card and that the "real" one would appear later, which it did...on my breakfast plate, along with some of my very, very, very favorite candy. Raspberry-filled dark chocolate. You can bet I'll ration that stuff.

We'll spend the day together just "being" and I have a special meal planned for tonight. I'll pull out all the stops and use all the table pretties we have and incorporate as much sparkly and red stuff as I can gather together. That's a lot because I'm a "theme-ahololic" and have a stash for every reason/season. He'll roll his but I know he'll enjoy it, too.
"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Katie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 02:18 PM   #6
Senior Cook
Happy Singles Awareness Day!

danbuter is offline   Reply With Quote