Hardy Mum Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Barb L.

Master Chef
I have two potted hardy Mums, how to store them thru the winter? Can I bring them in or leave them out? Really don't want to plant them.

barbel, we plant our mums and they usually survive the winter and regrow ever spring and summer, flowering about this time of year.

Are they in a pot now? If yes you can bring them in. Keep them away from cold window, but somewhere where there is most light in the house.

I have two potted hardy Mums, how to store them thru the winter? Can I bring them in or leave them out? Really don't want to plant them.
I have several mums too, though still outside in planters. They're currently bloomin fools. White, pink, purple and yellow little flowers. They will die out, but in a month or so, I'll cut mine all the way down to about 3 inches out of the soil, and they'll be back next Spring. I'm outside Los Angeles though and that may make a difference.

Are they in a pot now? If yes you can bring them in. Keep them away from cold window, but somewhere where there is most light in the house.

Thank you Charlie, they are still in the pots outside. Should I still keep watering them? lol, I was just going to put them in the basement and forget about them .

LESFE, Mine say not to cut back, lol, I usually plant them , but want to take them to our camper in the spring. I just can't let them go dormant? I am still confused -:wacko:, water or no water?

Leave them outside, and when all the blooms have died, cut all the dead stems to the ground. Don't pull it up. Next year, it will regrow, bigger. You may want to pull it up at that time, and separate it.

I just noticed they were in pots...leave them in the pots, but put them in soil in your garden in the early spring.

Advice from the greenhouse lady here...Put them in the ground asap and water them in. When they freeze down and dry up, clip off the dead and mulch them lightly with straw or leaves.
Next spring when danger of frost is passed, remove the mulch and separate the plants if you wish. Pinch out the tops to make them bushy, fertilize and continue to pinch any blooms out until July 4th.

I know a lot of people don't follow these steps, but this is from the book, and the best way to have really beautiful mums next fall.

Note: If you leave the plants outside in the pots, the roots will get too cold and dry, and the plant will more than likely die.
If you take the plants inside, they will not get to go through their necessary dormant cycle.

If you don't want to plant the mums, cut them back to the soil, water well, put the pots in a protected spot outside (in a corner, or between some shrubs and the house), and mulch them heavily with straw or leaves. Don't put any kind of waterproof tarp over them, as they'll need the moisture from the rain and snow. A piece of landscape fabric or burlap, anchored down to keep the mulch from blowing away is fine. The main thing is to protect them from the wind and keep them from drying out. Moist frozen soil doesn't fall below 32, which helps to protect the roots.

Thanks all for your needed advice to save my Mums, I appreciated it very much. Guess I will dig a couple holes before it freezes hard.

Back
Top Bottom