Harrassing phone calls from business 888 number

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well... I ain't goin to the Wood Shed.:ermm:..So Miss Amber maybe from now on when that number comes up on you Caller ID...just ignore it. Maybe then they will just go away!! If not...let me know!!:boxing:

Years ago we went to an unlisted, unpublished number. There was a remote relative who liked the grape a bit too much and would call every night at 2 or 3 am.

Best thing we ever did, although it does cost us a bit more.

When the telemarketers were in their hayday we would get almost no calls, maybe one every six months or so.

Prior to that we had been bothered from time to time by collection agencies who would try to get in touch with some person who they believed did not pay their bill. Our name is not that common and when they could not find the person they were after would troll through similar names (and sometimes not so similar names) hoping to find the folks they were after.

Unlisted and unpublished stopped all that. It may not be an answer for all but we love the status.

Also, when we need to give a phone number to some company that does not need to know ours, will give the one this computer is attached to. Two lines in the house, and this one does not ring.

And we never give any information about credit cards, bank accounts, SSN's over the phone until we are sure whom we are talking to.

And yes, it is important to check your credit every so often, even if you don't have a credit card.

There are a lot of scams and unscrupulous folks out there and this wonderful internet has only given them more ways to unsettle our lives.

Sorry for your trouble Amber, I don't have an answer for you. But I would check my credit.

God bless.

Anyone who asks anything about your credit card like that is running a scam - report them to your State Attorney General. If you listen carefully they are probably saying that rates are going up and they can guarantee you a low rate, etc.

Please don't play with them, tell them to remove your name and quickly call your Attorey General. All they want is that important last four ..... Give them nothing! They are pros and you can not win playing in their game.

Good Luck, David

I have a very scary story to tell you all about this. It is one reason I stay way from forums and such and such, however you guys all seem normale...ah...I think.....lol.

Ok, so my old boss was on a message board. They had some disagreement and somehow they found out ALL OF HIS PERSONAL INFORMATION. These guys would call us at work 1000 times a day with a spoof card. They would change the sound of their voice and put a number on the ID like 123-4567. My boss HAD to tell us why this was happening. It was very scary. Then he said they got his cell phone number and home address.

One night they broke into his house. While him and his wife slept they came into the bedroom. They didn't touch them however, they just left a lipstick note on the bedroom mirror letting them know they were there. He called the police many times, but there was nothing they could do.

It wasn't until my boss moved ( duh ) that it all went away. All this over a forum website.

we should never trust our admins. good advice, king. :cool:

i hope the f.b.i. has a sample of elfie's and mrs. b's lipstick! :-p

we should never trust our admins. good advice, king. :cool:

i hope the f.b.i. has a sample of elfie's and mrs. b's lipstick! :-p

I threw that lipstick away BT :-p

All kidding aside PastaKing - that is some story and VERY scary!!! I have been threatened on this forum before and it was quite "spooky" to say the least. I knew in my mind this person couldn't "get" me but it was still VERY scary! I can't even imagine what your boss went through!

Just to ease YOUR mind PastaKing - we don't have any personal information on you like that. Buckytom is another story though :glare::-p

I threw that lipstick away BT :-p

All kidding aside PastaKing - that is some story and VERY scary!!! I have been threatened on this forum before and it was quite "spooky" to say the least. I knew in my mind this person couldn't "get" me but it was still VERY scary! I can't even imagine what your boss went through!

Just to ease YOUR mind PastaKing - we don't have any personal information on you like that. Buckytom is another story though :glare::-p

what was the nature of the threat? i always feel safe on line, because i don't give out any info.

am on no call list.seems to work ok. did have a crooked co. take $100 out of my account. phone company took care of it. got the money back.

just curious bout the threat u received.

babe:huh::huh:

what was the nature of the threat? i always feel safe on line, because i don't give out any info.

am on no call list.seems to work ok. did have a crooked co. take $100 out of my account. phone company took care of it. got the money back.

just curious bout the threat u received.

babe:huh::huh:

I really don't know all the details. When he called our meeting about it, he said how he was online and got into a flame war with some people. Somehow they found out who he was, and where he lived. They even posted a picture of his house from Google earth on the website, and directions to him should anyone else want to stop by and say hello.

Now this was about 8 years ago, so maybe things have changed as far as cell phone traceing, but he told us the police couldn't do anything for him.

When they would call us at work, they always said things like "we are going to kill your boss", "Is your boss and A-hole". The one scary call was ( and I'll never forget this ) "don't come to work on Tuesday because we are going to blow up yor office".

Again, it was all over a stupid flame war on a website. The last I heard, my boss was still in business and doing ok. Thank God. He really was a nice person.

I think the most invasive the admins get on this forum is implanting GPS into those who go missing for too long...:-p

As for the phone calls, we get em as well. They are collection calls for someone we have never heard of. We checked our reports and they are all clean, so it is just someone that gave out our phone number to their creditors instead of their own.
We politely tell each one they were given the wrong number and ask them to not call again. For most this is the last we hear from them. For some they just ignore us or assume we are lying and keep calling. In these cases we 'make' up a letter from a 'lawyer' and send it to them. This usually stops even the most obstinate ones.
Another trick is to tell them it is a 'business' or 'work' number they are calling and they should not call again. This works well as they can get in big trouble for calling a work number. So next time you see their number come up on the caller ID, answer as a business LOL.

Back
Top Bottom