"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-08-2008, 08:49 AM   #11
Executive Chef

Not trying to dispute you at all, but....,

From what I've been told, and this came from someone in higher authority, any time you are harassed by annoying phone calls from companies that you don't know, looking to get personal info from you, or anyone calling you to get you to buy their product or services, or anything else, it is considered to be annoying & harassment.

Much like the annoying & aggravating pop-ups and ads that you may sometimes get when visiting certain websites.

And that civil or criminal charges can be filed against them for that. I know that I was once bombarded with harassing calls form telemarketers and other co's constantly calling here. I had to register my phone # to the DNCNR to have them stopped.

You can have your number changed, but that is also a waste of time & money because they seem to have phone numbers of everyone and their brother.

Old 03-08-2008, 08:56 AM   #12
Chief Eating Officer

Corey, I am not disputing any of that. What I am disputing is that if this is a scam trying to get personal info then telling them you are on the DNC list will not do anything. If it is a scam then they are criminals who are not following the law anyway. What you are suggesting, if it is a scam, is akin to telling a bank robber he can't take the money from the bank because he did not show 2 forms of ID. Do you really think someone who is already breaking the law will care about another lesser law?

Old 03-08-2008, 09:23 AM   #13
Head Chef

(888) 466-4262

According to that link, it is Premier Recovery, Inc. The link provides
contact info, BBB listing and more.

Forget the reverse look up.... Just enter the phone number into google and
see what comes up.
Old 03-08-2008, 09:30 AM   #14
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber View Post
Have any of you had problems with a company calling you claiming you have a balance on a credit card?

Yep, and they claimed they could lower the interest rate. Interesting since we don't carry a balance.

I'll play.

We chat along, she tells me all they can do for us, we get to the information part of the scam, she tells me the card number, thats right, then she asks for the three digit verification code.

I say, You were doing so well.

Point of the scam is to get the verification number, since they seem to know everything else they must be legitimate, Right? Nope.
Old 03-08-2008, 09:34 AM   #15
Executive Chef

Thanks everyone, I appreciate your help and suggestions. Grillingfool, I didnt think of just googling their number, thanks. Still doesnt make sense why a recovery place would be calling us, but will take a look at my and my husbands credit report.
Old 03-08-2008, 09:41 AM   #16
Head Chef

They may be calling your NUMBER or your ADDRESS, not you. If someone used them
as information on a bad loan or such, you get the joy.

I got some calls a while back from collection agencies. They had traced backwards in
time more than 8 years, came up with my name linked to the person they were trying
to collect from, and called me because they could find me.

Like I know or care where my ex-wife is now... or her kids. ;)
Old 03-08-2008, 09:48 AM   #17
Executive Chef

BEWARE, it's a scam they want your SS which gives them the chance for identity theft. They would open up credit cards etc in your name and ruin your credit, your life etc, They already have your name NEVER EVER give out your SS not matter what. Legit businesses do not ask for your SS the only time you give it up is to open a new bank account etc. Also never carry your SS card in your wallet or purse if it is stolen you are wide open for ID theft which can take years to straighten out. Maybe you can ask them which company your credit card is then call company and see if someone has taken out a credit card in your name if so the company will go after them and cancel card.
Old 03-08-2008, 10:16 AM   #18
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Corey, I am not disputing any of that. What I am disputing is that if this is a scam trying to get personal info then telling them you are on the DNC list will not do anything. If it is a scam then they are criminals who are not following the law anyway. What you are suggesting, if it is a scam, is akin to telling a bank robber he can't take the money from the bank because he did not show 2 forms of ID. Do you really think someone who is already breaking the law will care about another lesser law?

They probably won't.

What really ticks me off to no end is that when the phone rings and I answer it, no one is on the other end!

The caller ID may display a name such a Bank of America, whom I don't even deal with, or another co. Sometimes I call that number right back and demand that they stop caling here. I even then threaten them a little, tellng them that I'll soon press criminal charges against them if they don't. "Oh, we'll take your numer off our calllist, sorry about that."
Old 03-08-2008, 10:41 AM   #19
Senior Cook

We have been on the Do Not Call list for some time and I even renewed it since it's only good for 3 yrs., I think. However, we are barraged by numbers that are Toll-Free, 800 and 866 numbers. We don't answer our phone until we check the caller ID first. If we don't recognize the number we just let it ring. They never leave a message on the answering machine. But it is such an annoyance. I have several extensions in my house but only two have the caller ID on them. So we end up running to those phones only to find it's a toll-free number or it says "Unknown Name Unknown Number" on the caller ID.

I don't know if it's the elections that are the cause of all of this or what.
Old 03-08-2008, 10:48 AM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey123 View Post
They probably won't.

What really ticks me off is that when the phone rings and I answer it, no one is on the other end!

The caller ID may display a name such a Bank of America, whom I don't even deal with, or another co. Sometime I call that number right back and demand that they stop caling here. I then threaten them a little, tellng them that I'll soon press crimial charges against them if they don't. "Oh, we'll take your numer off our calllist, sorry about that."
Corey - these people don't care if you threaten them - many, many, many, many times a number is NEVER displayed, or the number doesn't even work when you try to call it. And to press criminal charges is a VERY big deal both for you and them. The cost of going to court is something that most people can't afford nor would want to proceed with!

Now, can we please get back to amber's situation and post things that will help her and not hijack her thread?

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote