"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-08-2008, 12:27 AM   #1
Executive Chef

Harrassing phone calls from business 888 number

Have any of you had problems with a company calling you claiming you have a balance on a credit card? We don't have a credit card thankfully. The phone number that keeps calling our house is 888-466-4262, and of course I cannot find this number on a reverse look up. I called them and they said they would remove our name, after they asked if the last four digits of the social security number was such and such, and I said no, but they had called in the past and said the same thing, so who is this company? Advice please!

Old 03-08-2008, 12:29 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Sadly, sometimes scammers give a fake phone number (yours apparently) when opening up fraudulent credit card accounts. They may call you for months.

Old 03-08-2008, 12:33 AM   #3
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to AMSeccia
Oh you poor thing ... have you Googled the number to see what comes up? The first thing I would do is check my credit report and look for anything amiss!
Old 03-08-2008, 12:38 AM   #4
Executive Chef

Thank you Fisher's mom, it truly is sad when people do this stuff. Guess my next course of action will be to contact someone in consumer fraud or something along that line or call a news company.
Old 03-08-2008, 12:41 AM   #5
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMSeccia View Post
Oh you poor thing ... have you Googled the number to see what comes up? The first thing I would do is check my credit report and look for anything amiss!
Yep, as I mentioned, I did the reverse look up (via google) and nothing came up. Why would you check a credit report? My credit is fine, which is why I mentioned it was odd to have this phone call.
Old 03-08-2008, 12:50 AM   #6
Executive Chef

The reason you want to keep an eye on your credit report is just in case the criminal actually opened up an account in your name. The people calling you are called skip-tracers I think. Anyway, they either called you because your number was given when a scammer opened up a credit account that was never paid or they gave your name or address and the tracers used a cross-directory to get your phone number. I'm not saying this happened, but it could so it would be a good idea to check your credit report.
Old 03-08-2008, 12:55 AM   #7
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to AMSeccia
I dunno ... seems anytime any personal information is compromised, the first thing they tell you to do is check your credit report. I'm sorry, I wasn't judging YOUR credit. Merely suggesting that you keep an eye out for any suspicious activity, like someone using your info to open a line of credit without your knowledge.

There was an elderly lady behind me in line at a store recently who had $8000 charged at Harvard (not her charges, obviously). I don't think you can be too cautious.
Old 03-08-2008, 01:32 AM   #8
Master Chef

I would tell them that you are contacting your state's attorney's general office to proceed against them and if you get one more phone call do so.......
Old 03-08-2008, 01:42 AM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber View Post
Have any of you had problems with a company calling you claiming you have a balance on a credit card? We don't have a credit card thankfully. The phone number that keeps calling our house is 888-466-4262, and of course I cannot find this number on a reverse look up. I called them and they said they would remove our name, after they asked if the last four digits of the social security number was such and such, and I said no, but they had called in the past and said the same thing, so who is this company? Advice please!

I usually call them back and tell them that they are not to call me ever again and to take me OFF their calling list.

This could be a scam to get you to release personal info to them. Look up the National Do Not Call Registry, register your phone #'s with them, and if
you continue to get those harassing calls, just tell them that your phone
number(s) is registered with the NDNCR, and that if they don't stop calling you, that you'll have charges and fines filed against them. They'll stop.

I've done that and it works.
Old 03-08-2008, 08:11 AM   #10
Chief Eating Officer

Corey, if it is a scam then they are not going to pay attention to the do not call list. If they are breaking the law by trying to steal info do you really think they are going to stop trying just because you tell them to stop calling?

The do not call list works well if it is telemarketers, but if someone else used your phone number to sign up for a card then telling them you are on the do not call list will not do a thing.

I would play along with them. Tell them you want to pay off the balance and ask for as much info as you can get out of them like company name to make the check out to, address to send it to, phone number, and anything else you can get out of them. If they ask for the last 4 of your ssn then use a made up number (and write it down so you can use it again if they ask). Use that info to do to the authorities.