Harrassing phone calls from business 888 number

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amber

Executive Chef
Have any of you had problems with a company calling you claiming you have a balance on a credit card? We don't have a credit card thankfully. The phone number that keeps calling our house is 888-466-4262, and of course I cannot find this number on a reverse look up. I called them and they said they would remove our name, after they asked if the last four digits of the social security number was such and such, and I said no, but they had called in the past and said the same thing, so who is this company?:ermm: Advice please!

Sadly, sometimes scammers give a fake phone number (yours apparently) when opening up fraudulent credit card accounts. They may call you for months.

Oh you poor thing ... have you Googled the number to see what comes up? The first thing I would do is check my credit report and look for anything amiss!

Thank you Fisher's mom, it truly is sad when people do this stuff. Guess my next course of action will be to contact someone in consumer fraud or something along that line or call a news company.

Oh you poor thing ... have you Googled the number to see what comes up? The first thing I would do is check my credit report and look for anything amiss!

Yep, as I mentioned, I did the reverse look up (via google) and nothing came up. Why would you check a credit report? My credit is fine, which is why I mentioned it was odd to have this phone call.

The reason you want to keep an eye on your credit report is just in case the criminal actually opened up an account in your name. The people calling you are called skip-tracers I think. Anyway, they either called you because your number was given when a scammer opened up a credit account that was never paid or they gave your name or address and the tracers used a cross-directory to get your phone number. I'm not saying this happened, but it could so it would be a good idea to check your credit report.

I dunno ... seems anytime any personal information is compromised, the first thing they tell you to do is check your credit report. I'm sorry, I wasn't judging YOUR credit. Merely suggesting that you keep an eye out for any suspicious activity, like someone using your info to open a line of credit without your knowledge.

There was an elderly lady behind me in line at a store recently who had $8000 charged at Harvard (not her charges, obviously). I don't think you can be too cautious.

Have any of you had problems with a company calling you claiming you have a balance on a credit card? We don't have a credit card thankfully. The phone number that keeps calling our house is 888-466-4262, and of course I cannot find this number on a reverse look up. I called them and they said they would remove our name, after they asked if the last four digits of the social security number was such and such, and I said no, but they had called in the past and said the same thing, so who is this company?:ermm: Advice please!

I usually call them back and tell them that they are not to call me ever again and to take me OFF their calling list.

This could be a scam to get you to release personal info to them. Look up the National Do Not Call Registry, register your phone #'s with them, and if
you continue to get those harassing calls, just tell them that your phone
number(s) is registered with the NDNCR, and that if they don't stop calling you, that you'll have charges and fines filed against them. They'll stop.

I've done that and it works.

Last edited:
Corey, if it is a scam then they are not going to pay attention to the do not call list. If they are breaking the law by trying to steal info do you really think they are going to stop trying just because you tell them to stop calling?

The do not call list works well if it is telemarketers, but if someone else used your phone number to sign up for a card then telling them you are on the do not call list will not do a thing.

I would play along with them. Tell them you want to pay off the balance and ask for as much info as you can get out of them like company name to make the check out to, address to send it to, phone number, and anything else you can get out of them. If they ask for the last 4 of your ssn then use a made up number (and write it down so you can use it again if they ask). Use that info to do to the authorities.

Not trying to dispute you at all, but....,

From what I've been told, and this came from someone in higher authority, any time you are harassed by annoying phone calls from companies that you don't know, looking to get personal info from you, or anyone calling you to get you to buy their product or services, or anything else, it is considered to be annoying & harassment.

Much like the annoying & aggravating pop-ups and ads that you may sometimes get when visiting certain websites.

And that civil or criminal charges can be filed against them for that. I know that I was once bombarded with harassing calls form telemarketers and other co's constantly calling here. I had to register my phone # to the DNCNR to have them stopped.

You can have your number changed, but that is also a waste of time & money because they seem to have phone numbers of everyone and their brother.

Last edited:
Corey, I am not disputing any of that. What I am disputing is that if this is a scam trying to get personal info then telling them you are on the DNC list will not do anything. If it is a scam then they are criminals who are not following the law anyway. What you are suggesting, if it is a scam, is akin to telling a bank robber he can't take the money from the bank because he did not show 2 forms of ID. Do you really think someone who is already breaking the law will care about another lesser law?

(888) 466-4262

According to that link, it is Premier Recovery, Inc. The link provides
contact info, BBB listing and more.

Forget the reverse look up.... Just enter the phone number into google and
see what comes up.

Have any of you had problems with a company calling you claiming you have a balance on a credit card?

Yep, and they claimed they could lower the interest rate. Interesting since we don't carry a balance.

I'll play.

We chat along, she tells me all they can do for us, we get to the information part of the scam, she tells me the card number, thats right, then she asks for the three digit verification code.

I say, You were doing so well.

Point of the scam is to get the verification number, since they seem to know everything else they must be legitimate, Right? Nope.

Thanks everyone, I appreciate your help and suggestions. Grillingfool, I didnt think of just googling their number, thanks. Still doesnt make sense why a recovery place would be calling us, but will take a look at my and my husbands credit report.

They may be calling your NUMBER or your ADDRESS, not you. If someone used them
as information on a bad loan or such, you get the joy.

I got some calls a while back from collection agencies. They had traced backwards in
time more than 8 years, came up with my name linked to the person they were trying
to collect from, and called me because they could find me.

Like I know or care where my ex-wife is now... or her kids. ;)

:) BEWARE, it's a scam they want your SS which gives them the chance for identity theft. They would open up credit cards etc in your name and ruin your credit, your life etc, They already have your name NEVER EVER give out your SS not matter what. Legit businesses do not ask for your SS the only time you give it up is to open a new bank account etc. Also never carry your SS card in your wallet or purse if it is stolen you are wide open for ID theft which can take years to straighten out. Maybe you can ask them which company your credit card is then call company and see if someone has taken out a credit card in your name if so the company will go after them and cancel card.

Corey, I am not disputing any of that. What I am disputing is that if this is a scam trying to get personal info then telling them you are on the DNC list will not do anything. If it is a scam then they are criminals who are not following the law anyway. What you are suggesting, if it is a scam, is akin to telling a bank robber he can't take the money from the bank because he did not show 2 forms of ID. Do you really think someone who is already breaking the law will care about another lesser law?

They probably won't.

What really ticks me off to no end is that when the phone rings and I answer it, no one is on the other end!

The caller ID may display a name such a Bank of America, whom I don't even deal with, or another co. Sometimes I call that number right back and demand that they stop caling here. I even then threaten them a little, tellng them that I'll soon press criminal charges against them if they don't. "Oh, we'll take your numer off our calllist, sorry about that."

Last edited:
We have been on the Do Not Call list for some time and I even renewed it since it's only good for 3 yrs., I think. However, we are barraged by numbers that are Toll-Free, 800 and 866 numbers. We don't answer our phone until we check the caller ID first. If we don't recognize the number we just let it ring. They never leave a message on the answering machine. But it is such an annoyance. I have several extensions in my house but only two have the caller ID on them. So we end up running to those phones only to find it's a toll-free number or it says "Unknown Name Unknown Number" on the caller ID.

I don't know if it's the elections that are the cause of all of this or what.

They probably won't.

What really ticks me off is that when the phone rings and I answer it, no one is on the other end!

The caller ID may display a name such a Bank of America, whom I don't even deal with, or another co. Sometime I call that number right back and demand that they stop caling here. I then threaten them a little, tellng them that I'll soon press crimial charges against them if they don't. "Oh, we'll take your numer off our calllist, sorry about that."

Corey - these people don't care if you threaten them - many, many, many, many times a number is NEVER displayed, or the number doesn't even work when you try to call it. And to press criminal charges is a VERY big deal both for you and them. The cost of going to court is something that most people can't afford nor would want to proceed with!

Now, can we please get back to amber's situation and post things that will help her and not hijack her thread? :cool:

Back
Top Bottom