"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-15-2005, 01:00 AM   #1
Executive Chef

Harry Potter

I'm a big Harry Potter fan. My "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince" is reserved and I will pick it up on Saturday. I'm too old to stay up for the midnight party....Wasabi

Old 07-15-2005, 02:03 AM   #2
Executive Chef

I was wondering if anyone would start an HP thread. I ordered mine from Amazon, they were offering day of release delivery. I'd like to go to a midnight party or something but living 45 minutes out of town with a 2 year old would make it difficult. I'm amped! We are planning a road trip to NM in Sept and we will get HP6 on disk so we can listen to it.

Are you a fan of the Inheritance trilogy? The second book in the trilogy will be out in August, I'm excited about that as well.

And the forth HP movie will be out this fall, they released the preview and it looks good. I expect they will have cut out a ton of things but it's hard to fit a 700 page book inot a 2 hour movie.

I'm glad you share my enthusiasm!
-Brooke

Old 07-15-2005, 03:24 AM   #3
Executive Chef

Inheritance trilogy? Who is the author, I might get the first one before the next one comes out.

I was begining to think that I was the only HP fan. A midnight party is a couple of miles from where I live. I'll just watch it on the news on Saturday. Can't wait to get my hands on HP6 and I'm looking forward to the next movie. Good reading!.........wasabi
Old 07-15-2005, 05:12 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

no offense, but what the heck is a book release party? does everyone show up at a designated time with their newly purchased books, then sit down and read to themselves? lol, (i'm not a reader - the info gets into your brain too slow). wow, sounds exciting... (only kidding)

actually, i can see the value of books at least in this way. the cast of kids from the harry potter movies are getting a bit long in the tooth to be playing adolescents. in the last movie, the boys had more cracks in their voices than the great wall of china. and the little girl was becoming quite a beeotch...
Old 07-15-2005, 07:22 AM   #5
Executive Chef

I am amused when visiting King's Cross station in London. There is now a large sign next to platform 9 - which says Platform 9 3/4 - where the Hogwart's express leaves for school.

There are always groups of tourists, taking pictures beside the sign and often they are holding one of the HP books.

J K Rowling lives in Edinburgh (oh and in a huge castle thingy that she bought in the highlands). The restaurant where she used to sit to write the first novel was owned by her brother-in-law and she used to sit at one of the tables for most of the day, nursing a cup of coffee and scribbling away. The restaurant is in Nicholson Street, and again it is a place of pilgrimage for Potter fans.

(No, I don't know her, but I have met her fairly newish husband at a number of events in the city!)
Old 07-15-2005, 10:03 AM   #6
Chief Eating Officer

Wasabi I was just about to start this thread when I saw you beat me to it

I love the HP books. They are so well written and so engaging. I pre-ordered through Amazon and just got an email that my book has been shipped. I can't wait to sit at the pool and read this one!
Old 07-15-2005, 11:11 AM   #7
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasabi
Inheritance trilogy? Who is the author, I might get the first one before the next one comes out.
The first book is called Eragon and it's by Christopher Paolini. It's a great book for HP fans. This guy wrote the first book when he was 19! This next one is also being highly anticipated.
Old 07-15-2005, 11:19 AM   #8
Executive Chef

BTW, I might be missing from the forums until I finish this 6th book...
Old 07-15-2005, 11:53 AM   #9
Head Chef

I love the HP series, I am going to wait until all the books have come out and then buy a box set. For now, I am number 644 on the waiting list at my local library. Shouldn't be too long a wait since they have 500 copies!
Old 07-15-2005, 03:16 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Bucky, I see you are in your "bah humbug" mood. You are to cute for words.

I will be checking this book out, corazon90. Thanks for the info.

« Update | Star Crush »