"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-28-2017, 08:57 AM   #1
Sous Chef

Harvest crew

Some of you know my boss had a stroke a few weeks ago. Because of that harvest is going slow. With Dr visits and another overnight in the hospital. Along with an upcoming surgery. we lost out on several good days of running.

The neighbors got together and came yesterday to get our beans done. We had 8 combines and 4 grain carts. A dozen or more trucks and more man power than jobs.
They do this all the time when someone is sick or hurt. I just never thought we would need help. Its humbling and heart warming. Now if mother nature would have cooperated that would have been better. It was in the 30s today with 50 mph gusts. We had about 500 acres or so to go.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0515.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	28258   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0675.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	28259  

Name:	IMG_0663.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	28260   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0622.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	28261  

Name:	IMG_0591.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	28262  

Old 10-28-2017, 09:15 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer Jon View Post
Some of you know my boss had a stroke a few weeks ago. Because of that harvest is going slow. With Dr visits and another overnight in the hospital. Along with an upcoming surgery. we lost out on several good days of running.

The neighbors got together and came yesterday to get our beans done. We had 8 combines and 4 grain carts. A dozen or more trucks and more man power than jobs.
They do this all the time when someone is sick or hurt. I just never thought we would need help. Its humbling and heart warming. Now if mother nature would have cooperated that would have been better. It was in the 30s today with 50 mph gusts. We had about 500 acres or so to go.
It's wonderful to see your neighbors pull together like that. Hope your boss is doing well.

Old 10-28-2017, 09:15 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

You know, all that doesn't surprise me. That's what neighbors do. They answer the call whenever it goes out. All they ask is that if they ever need you, the favor will be returned in kind.

Just make sure they are all fed good.
Old 10-28-2017, 09:43 AM   #4
Sous Chef

The local co-op we do a lot of business with brought everyone lunch.
Old 10-28-2017, 09:59 AM   #5
Head Chef

Thumbs up

People helping people is pretty darn cool...

Ross
Old 10-28-2017, 11:10 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Thank you for posting this, Jon. Not only is this fascinating to me as your life is so different from my own, but it's great to hear a story about people being good to each other.
Working in the constant stream of horrible news and even worse politics, where everyone is at each other's throats, this definitely brightened up another long day at work for me. So again, thanks.
Old 10-28-2017, 11:23 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Thanks for posting this, Jon.

This is what happens here often. A few years ago a dear friend's husband was killed as he was delivering a load of soy beans to the the local storage facility. He'd just begun clearing all his fields and his death created quite a challenge for his wife.

As in the instance you related, Sara's neighbors and community friends came together to get everything in for her. It was bad enough to grieve the sudden death of her husband, much less wonder how all the harvesting would get done.

A similar thing happened quite a few years ago to someone who lived near me and I recall a local news report showing a group of farmers with their combines, 6 abreast, clearing a friend's fields. It was impressive and brought tears to my eyes.
Old 10-28-2017, 12:20 PM   #8
Certified Pretend Chef

Thanks, Jon. That's a story worth retelling.
Old 10-28-2017, 12:43 PM   #9
Head Chef

That's how things work out here in farm country. When someone has trouble through no fault of his own, the community pitches in to get things working again.

The town hall keeps a list of local people who have volunteered to help with utility payments, usually anonymously, and that keeps deserving folks set up with LP gas and keeps the electricity on when things get real tight during those long winter months. We never want to be acknowledged when we do that for someone... it's enough that they get to make it through until they get back on their feet. These people are not welfare freeloaders, but hard working neighbors who are just on a run of bad luck.
Old 10-28-2017, 12:58 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Thanks for sharing this Jon, and also Katie and Rick for your stories. I agree with Bucky, there are still some true character values among people who are never seen on the TV news.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote