"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-11-2016, 11:38 PM   #1
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Has anybody done any Quilling?

I need something to do with my hands that I can do while watching TV. Am interested in how much attention it needs in general. I know I would have to concentrate to actually glue down into a picture. The paper curling, is it something along the lines of a "no-brainer"?

Old 09-12-2016, 12:08 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Well, some folks sew the whole thing by hand. Others use a sewing machine for putting the squares together and some do it all by hand. Using the machine drowns out the sound of the TV, and you can't keep your eye on your work and TV at the same time. I think the easiest one to make is a crazy quilt. Pieces of odd shaped left over material is attached to another piece where it looks like it might fit. The zigzag stitch is popular for that type of quilt. Some folks save pieces of clothing from family members and cut pieces out of that to add to the quilt. They often will embroider the name of the person and a date. My mother-in-law made a quilt for each of her children from the clothes they wore growing up. She also did it for her grandchildren and gave it to them as a wedding present. Her quilts were all hand sewn.

Other than the crazy quilt, quilting can require some expensive equipment. I would suggest embroidery. You can hold it in your lap and all it requires is thread, needles, needle threader and a hoop. You can get inexpensive kits or design your own. I have done both. When sewing inside, I have a comfortable chair and a floor lamp that shines down on my work. When I take it outside, the sun gives me plenty of light. Right now I am working on a set of scarves and doilies for my daughter's bedroom. I ordered a kit and am doing it to my liking. I have been doing embroidery since childhood. My father taught me.

Old 09-12-2016, 12:11 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Addie, I think PF is talking about quilling (paper sculpture) not quilting.

Have never tried it. Though I do think the paper-curling should be a no-brainer after you cut it up. You would probably need to pay attention while you're gluing though, otherwise the results might be somewhat, um, interesting.
Old 09-12-2016, 12:11 AM   #4
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quilling, not quilting. It's a paper art, no sewing machine required.

Did you read my post or just the title?
Old 09-12-2016, 12:12 AM   #5
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Have never tried it. Though I do think the paper-curling should be a no-brainer after you cut it up. You would probably need to pay attention while you're gluing though, otherwise the results might be somewhat, um, interesting.
I can handle interesting
Old 09-12-2016, 12:15 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Quilling, not quilting. It's a paper art, no sewing machine required.

Did you read my post or just the title?
I skimmed over both. My bad! Sorry. Just what does one do with curled paper strips after? I don't think I have ever heard of it or seen it. Hmmm....
Old 09-12-2016, 12:19 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

You make pretty cards and pictures from the curled paper, Addie.

My grandmother could walk, talk, chew gum, and tat at the same time, all the while watching Wheel of Fortune. Tatting is a lost art, I never could get the hang of it. Nothing to do with quilling, but another thought.

I think as long as you have your paper cut up in advance, curling it shouldn't be an issue.
Old 09-12-2016, 12:22 AM   #8
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quilling I have plenty of paper and glue, I even have a cutter for the paper, just need to spend about $6 for the little holding tool so I can curl the paper.
Old 09-12-2016, 12:24 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

I have a friend who knits socks and scarves while watching TV. I bet that would make some popular Christmas gifts in your neck of the woods
Old 09-12-2016, 12:37 AM   #10
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I have a friend who knits socks and scarves while watching TV. I bet that would make some popular Christmas gifts in your neck of the woods
Knitting and crocheting are out, I don't have the patience for it. I don't find them relaxing, but they are a fantastic source of frustration for me. Thanks!