Has anybody done any Quilling?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PrincessFiona60

Ogress Supreme
Moderator Emeritus
I need something to do with my hands that I can do while watching TV. Am interested in how much attention it needs in general. I know I would have to concentrate to actually glue down into a picture. The paper curling, is it something along the lines of a "no-brainer"?

Well, some folks sew the whole thing by hand. Others use a sewing machine for putting the squares together and some do it all by hand. Using the machine drowns out the sound of the TV, and you can't keep your eye on your work and TV at the same time. I think the easiest one to make is a crazy quilt. Pieces of odd shaped left over material is attached to another piece where it looks like it might fit. The zigzag stitch is popular for that type of quilt. Some folks save pieces of clothing from family members and cut pieces out of that to add to the quilt. They often will embroider the name of the person and a date. My mother-in-law made a quilt for each of her children from the clothes they wore growing up. She also did it for her grandchildren and gave it to them as a wedding present. Her quilts were all hand sewn.

Other than the crazy quilt, quilting can require some expensive equipment. I would suggest embroidery. You can hold it in your lap and all it requires is thread, needles, needle threader and a hoop. You can get inexpensive kits or design your own. I have done both. When sewing inside, I have a comfortable chair and a floor lamp that shines down on my work. When I take it outside, the sun gives me plenty of light. Right now I am working on a set of scarves and doilies for my daughter's bedroom. I ordered a kit and am doing it to my liking. I have been doing embroidery since childhood. My father taught me. :angel:

Addie, I think PF is talking about quilling (paper sculpture) not quilting.

Have never tried it. Though I do think the paper-curling should be a no-brainer after you cut it up. You would probably need to pay attention while you're gluing though, otherwise the results might be somewhat, um, interesting.

Last edited:
Quilling, not quilting. It's a paper art, no sewing machine required.

Did you read my post or just the title?

Have never tried it. Though I do think the paper-curling should be a no-brainer after you cut it up. You would probably need to pay attention while you're gluing though, otherwise the results might be somewhat, um, interesting.

I can handle interesting:ROFLMAO:

Quilling, not quilting. It's a paper art, no sewing machine required.

Did you read my post or just the title?

I skimmed over both. My bad! Sorry. Just what does one do with curled paper strips after? I don't think I have ever heard of it or seen it. Hmmm.... :angel:

You make pretty cards and pictures from the curled paper, Addie.

My grandmother could walk, talk, chew gum, and tat at the same time, all the while watching Wheel of Fortune. Tatting is a lost art, I never could get the hang of it. Nothing to do with quilling, but another thought.

I think as long as you have your paper cut up in advance, curling it shouldn't be an issue.

Last edited:
Quilling I have plenty of paper and glue, I even have a cutter for the paper, just need to spend about $6 for the little holding tool so I can curl the paper.

I have a friend who knits socks and scarves while watching TV. I bet that would make some popular Christmas gifts in your neck of the woods :)

I have a friend who knits socks and scarves while watching TV. I bet that would make some popular Christmas gifts in your neck of the woods :)

Knitting and crocheting are out, I don't have the patience for it. I don't find them relaxing, but they are a fantastic source of frustration for me. Thanks!

You make pretty cards and pictures from the curled paper.

My grandmother could walk, talk, chew gum, and tat at the same time, all the while watching Wheel of Fortune. Tatting is a lost art, I never could get the hang of it. Nothing to do with quilling, but another thought.

I think as long as you have your paper cut up in advance, curling it shouldn't be an issue.

Even cutting the paper into strips could be busy making without thought. I am really looking for something I don't have to pay too much attention to. I need something that is almost automatic.

My grandmother and I would also do macrame together. Once you get the knots down, you can make a hammock blindfolded. Or while watching TV. We didn't make hammocks, mostly plant hangers and necklaces.

Ah! There's something called Arm Knitting! A teacher I worked with made a lovely scarf she wore all the time from a couple skeins of yarn, and arm-knit it, no knitting needles needed. Pinterest.

I'm more into woodworking. If I was watching TV while doing that, my power tools might make you call me Lefty...

Last edited:
Oh my gosh, I quilled decades ago! It's easy. Once you get the hang of rolling the paper ribbon, you don't have to look at it except when you need to put that tiny dot of glue when you need to lock the coil into place. It wasn't long before I could set my paper into the tool and roll a piece without looking at it. I used the tool with a slot, so I could one-eye the paper into the slot without using much concentration.

When I finished up a coil and glued it, I would toss it into an egg crate cup AFTER the glue dried. I sorted my pieces as I rolled them so they were ready for me to work on the final project before I started on it. I remember the most intricate one I did vividly - it was also the last one! It wasn't exactly like this one, but similar in that it had layers of coils that gave it a 3-dimensional quality.

cc7a756a85f841abe209c4821a3d2944.jpg

You will need to keep your eyes on your design once you work on putting the coils together. But the coils probably take more time to make, so you'll have that to work on while watching TV.

I gave all of my supplies, including pre-cut ribbons of paper, to Loverly when I was cleaning out our OH house before moving to MA. It was fun quilling. I wonder if she still has that stuff...

Just thought of another busy-hands craft that you can do with minimal attention: latch hooking. I did a small rug way back when. We used it in the bathroom in front of the sink, and it was so soft and cushy. That's another craft that once you have things lined up and started, you can go for a while before having to pay attention again.

I would also say counted cross stitching on large-count mesh. I did a Christmas wreath one year for my Mom-in-Law, a tray insert on tiny 24-count cloth. My Mom loved it! Wanted one for herself. Well, that tray took me 83 1/2 hours of stitching (I kept count, and will never forget. I ended up with crossed eyes and an upset tummy more than one night while working on it) so I wasn't going to make another, no matter how much I loved my Mom. Still do, in fact. :wub: Anyway, I ended up doing the same pattern for her, but on 6-count Herta cloth, using knitting yarn and a fat, no-point needle. I could work that thing with my eyes straight ahead. I did need to count, but back then I could still walk and chew gum. Now I have trouble just walking some days! :LOL:

Oh my gosh, I quilled decades ago! It's easy. Once you get the hang of rolling the paper ribbon, you don't have to look at it except when you need to put that tiny dot of glue when you need to lock the coil into place. It wasn't long before I could set my paper into the tool and roll a piece without looking at it. I used the tool with a slot, so I could one-eye the paper into the slot without using much concentration.

When I finished up a coil and glued it, I would toss it into an egg crate cup AFTER the glue dried. I sorted my pieces as I rolled them so they were ready for me to work on the final project before I started on it. I remember the most intricate one I did vividly - it was also the last one! It wasn't exactly like this one, but similar in that it had layers of coils that gave it a 3-dimensional quality.

cc7a756a85f841abe209c4821a3d2944.jpg

You will need to keep your eyes on your design once you work on putting the coils together. But the coils probably take more time to make, so you'll have that to work on while watching TV.

I gave all of my supplies, including pre-cut ribbons of paper, to Loverly when I was cleaning out our OH house before moving to MA. It was fun quilling. I wonder if she still has that stuff...

I went ahead and ordered some supplies and a couple of books. I hope to do things like the picture.

Tatting versus quilling (back to Dawg's post). I picked up quilling easily. Gave up on tatting.

It's been a LONG time since I did any quilling but I seem to remember picking it up pretty easily, just a little bit of practicing with the paper at first. Hmm, maybe I should introduce the older GD to quilling, she might like doing that as she enjoyed the ornament of the month club we both did last year, as well as some other crafts we've done together.

Have fun PF and thanks for the reminder.

Just thought of another busy-hands craft that you can do with minimal attention: latch hooking. I did a small rug way back when. We used it in the bathroom in front of the sink, and it was so soft and cushy. That's another craft that once you have things lined up and started, you can go for a while before having to pay attention again.

I would also say counted cross stitching on large-count mesh. I did a Christmas wreath one year for my Mom-in-Law, a tray insert on tiny 24-count cloth. My Mom loved it! Wanted one for herself. Well, that tray took me 83 1/2 hours of stitching (I kept count, and will never forget. I ended up with crossed eyes and an upset tummy more than one night while working on it) so I wasn't going to make another, no matter how much I loved my Mom. Still do, in fact. :wub: Anyway, I ended up doing the same pattern for her, but on 6-count Herta cloth, using knitting yarn and a fat, no-point needle. I could work that thing with my eyes straight ahead. I did need to count, but back then I could still walk and chew gum. Now I have trouble just walking some days! :LOL:

I'll second the latch hooking, UNLESS you have a complicated design.

Try counted cross stitch on 40+ count, and did you know you can go up to the 70s count?

I already have a Nottingham Lace tablecloth and I don't go the doily route (have many from my late MIL)...so quilling it will be. Thanks for the input, Karen.

I need something to do with my hands that I can do while watching TV. Am interested in how much attention it needs in general. I know I would have to concentrate to actually glue down into a picture. The paper curling, is it something along the lines of a "no-brainer"?

That looks like you could make some interesting art. In my opinion, it requires too much attention to detail to do while watching TV.

That looks like you could make some interesting art. In my opinion, it requires too much attention to detail to do while watching TV.

Only when gluing my pieces down, do I need to pay attention. Curling the papers are TV friendly.

Back
Top Bottom