"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-27-2008, 12:37 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Has Anybody tried Wii Fit?

I noticed we are talking a lot about health and fitness and self-improvement so I was wondering if anybody has tried the Wii Fit? I got one because it looked like a fun thing for me and the kids that isn't a classic video game but I really didn't expect much in the way of a fitness program. Wow! I'm very, very impressed. The focus is on balance and core strength, but it also has aerobic and strength training. The yoga section is absolutely amazing. My girlfriend's dad has Parkinson's and has been going to PT as his symptoms have been progressing. When she saw it, she said it was exactly the training her dad is getting at PT. She was so impressed she went out and got one for him. Anyway, we play Wii bowling every night since it's something we can all do together so it's a nice addition to the family activity list. Anybody else tried it?

Old 06-27-2008, 12:48 PM   #2
Head Chef

We got one for my wife. She loves it. She can't beat me at boxing though, which bothers her greatly.

The bowling..... well, let's not talk about that one.

ronjohn55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 12:58 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Boxing - I've never even tried that game ronjohn. But now that you mention it, there are a few people I would love to box. Hmmmmm
Old 06-27-2008, 01:01 PM   #4
Cook

As far as video games for exercise, you could try Dance Dance Revolution. It really burns calories--at least when you're as clumsy as I am. ;)
Old 06-27-2008, 01:05 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzrdvark View Post
As far as video games for exercise, you could try Dance Dance Revolution. It really burns calories--at least when you're as clumsy as I am. ;)
A couple of my kids are great at that!!!! But I can't even do it properly on the easy level. What's up with that??? You're right about burning calories - my kids are really sweating after playing DDR.
Old 06-27-2008, 01:18 PM   #6
Head Chef

I really want Wii Fit. But we have not got a games consol and to buy one just for that seems a bit silly. If I still want it by my birthday next year maybe I'll ask DH for it. These kind of reviews are really encouraging!
Old 06-27-2008, 01:22 PM   #7
Executive Chef

If you don't have a wii console, it's kind of expensive, lulu. It's ~$250 for the Wii console and another $90 for the Wii fit. If you get an opportunity to try one out at a friend's house, do. But I have to say I'm way happy with how great the Wii Fit program and exercise platform works.
Old 06-27-2008, 03:00 PM   #8
Assistant Cook

If you are worried about buying the system for only one game then you can look at some of the other mini game collections there are for Wii. There is of course Wii Sports which comes with it and there is also Wii Play and Warioware which are a fun set of minigames.
Old 06-27-2008, 04:12 PM   #9
Master Chef

My sister has it and LOVES it. She loves all the games though, because of the constant movement and fun to them. She said it is the best excersise. Your playing and don't even feel like your excersising, which is my problem!! I need a Wii
Old 06-27-2008, 04:38 PM   #10
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prosciutto View Post
If you are worried about buying the system for only one game then you can look at some of the other mini game collections there are for Wii. There is of course Wii Sports which comes with it and there is also Wii Play and Warioware which are a fun set of minigames.

Oh no! No need for other games, it would be a fitness thing only for us(no kids, both adults!)