"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-31-2008, 11:16 AM   #11
Master Chef

We replaced half a feeding of chow with a can of veggies and Olle went from 113 lbs to 93 in about 6 months. He loves the green beans and canned carrots also work. One of the reasons for the veggies is they provide bulk without calories so the dogs feel full but without the extra calories the chow would have. I've heard broccoli is another good sub for chow but if I'm making broccoli, it's going in my tummy not the dog's!

Old 03-31-2008, 11:22 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbur View Post
I've heard broccoli is another good sub for chow but if I'm making broccoli, it's going in my tummy not the dog's!
That's a good place for it, jabbur. A lot of broccoli is not good for dogs.

Old 03-31-2008, 12:18 PM   #13
Master Chef

Binks my youngest dog loves veggies, any kind I will let him have, he goes bonkers for it. Booter is a bit more picky about it, but he eats it cuz he sees Binks eating it. Goofy dogs!
Old 03-31-2008, 12:23 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
I was going to post about using frozen versus canned and using low/no sodium but that has already been covered. Frozen, IMHO, would be best. Frozen carrots is another option too. I use the defrost cycle of my microwave, which, doesn't really heat them too much.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 12:37 PM   #15
Executive Chef

My dog (English Springer Spaniel) is on a constant diet. Not that she's overweight, but she can eat ALOT.

She usually gets veggie scraps when I'm cooking dinner (bell pepper, carrot, tomato) Then after we eat dinner I'll giver her maybe a cup of table scraps, like steak, chicken, salad and veggies. Sometimes she gets them, and sometimes not. After that she gets about a cup or so of Purina One kibble that she will either eat that night or in the morning. She's maybe 1-2 pounds over weight but it's more from lack of excersize than improper diet.
Old 03-31-2008, 01:02 PM   #16
Senior Cook

No dogs, but I think I might have to put my kitty on a diet soon. She's tiny tiny tiny, but her tummy (and her little kitty bottom) is getting bigger and bigger and bigger...

My grandmother has two very very very well-trained shelties, and they're always on a diet. I guess they're at a healthy weight, but they seem so THIN to me. They only get one little scoop of food a day.

I know how they feel... it stinks to be on a diet!
Old 03-31-2008, 01:49 PM   #17
Senior Cook

Both my dogs are piggies and pretty much will eat anything (kind of reminds me of...me ). We monitor their food intake fairly closely even though they get a lot of exercise. Sydney has hip dysplasia so we keep her on the lean side to reduce the stress on her joints. Cole, who's half English Springer Spaniel (and possibly some Lab, Basset and who knows what else), would probably eat until he's unconcious.

Sydney sort of goes on a diet every now and then. She has a tendency to gain weight (hmm, reminds me of...me, again ) so we weigh her every month just to make sure her weight is within the range specified by our vet.

But it is hard sometimes when they are looking up at me with those sad eyes, trying to convince me that they are starving or something...So I try to keep the snacking to veggies and and some doggie cookies. The only time they get peanut butter is when we cut their nails. Not that they enjoy nail cutting but they'll endure it to have peanut butter!
Old 03-31-2008, 02:37 PM   #18
Master Chef

Hey Jeeks, read this link. Just concerned about the tomatoes.
Old 03-31-2008, 02:51 PM   #19
Senior Cook

Location: NJ for the moment, heading south next spring to be with my family.
I had a "well loved" (aka Porky) mutt in my house at one point and he did get stuck on a diet. I made him some guilty pleasures that were'nt so bad for him. 3 eggs in the kitchenaid, a touch of non fat dry milk (I'd guess around 1/2 cup) about a cup of fat free/sodium free/organic chicken or beef broth mix it well, then add in whole stone ground flour until it essentially turns into concrete or the kitchenaide complains loudly Use you favorite cat shaped cookie cutter to cut into shapes and bake for about 30 minutes or so at 375. Fairly low fat but four eggs spread over 30 or fourty cookies isn't that bad...no sodium, no chemicals, no nothing. I've also added fat free shredded cheese in and on these, and as a super bonus I've tossed in 1/2 a cup of peanut butter as well. My mutts never touched a "milk-bone" brand again. Would actually turn their noses up at them.
Old 03-31-2008, 10:13 PM   #20
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by sattie View Post
Hey Jeeks, read this link. Just concerned about the tomatoes.
I was curious about tomatoes since I have friends who grow them and their dogs eat them, apparently with no ill effect. I looked up a few more sites and here's a similar list from Humane Society, which led me to American Animal Hospital Association website, which had a list beyond food that I thought was very informative. Both sites only lists tomato leaves and stems as being poisonous.