Has anyone had their ducts cleaned?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeekinz

Washing Up
I had a new furnace & AC unit installed and want to get tthe ducts cleaned. My home (2200 sq. ft.) was remodeled in the 80's but some of the duct work is 50+ yrs old. Any pros or cons? What did it cost?

Jeekinz said:
I had a new furnace & AC unit installed and want to get tthe ducts cleaned. My home (2200 sq. ft.) was remodeled in the 80's but some of the duct work is 50+ yrs old. Any pros or cons? What did it cost?

If yours is set up like mine - the furnace controls the central a/c & heat - too bad you couldn't have had the ducts cleaned out at the same time you had the new unit installed. Okay - too late. I've thought about having mine cleaned out, but haven't gotten around to it yet. I suspect there can only be pros - the air will be cleaner & the soot etc will be cleaned out. I would go through the yellow pages, call several ac/heating repair companies & compare prices.

I wouldn't expect soot in the air ducts. Dust is a possibility. The air filter in your furnace/AC is there to take out most of the dust.

Do you have a reason to think the need cleaning or just that they probably should be cleaned perioducally?

Ok, my experience was pretty bad, they had some sort of special going on where it costs $10 a duct or some crud like that.... well all in all, it ended up costing $750 which is nuts to me for a 1700 sq ft home. I ended up with shoe prints on the wall, they scraped paint off entry ways trying to clean AC cylinder thing. It basically took all day and my dog became very ill and had to be put to sleep after that. (my dog getting ill was just bad timing, really nothing to do with these guys)

I think it is a good thing to have done once in a while, specially if your home is older, but I would have to say I will never get it done again by the nitwits that showed up at our house. Also be wary of the specials, there are hidden fees that they really don't discuss with you. I could of spent that $750 on something much more useful in my opinion!

Moisture can collect and mold can begin in the AC ducts (if they are different from the heating ducts). Like the others posted, check with different companies and also with a Better Business Bureau.

My house just gets musty in the winter. I'm looking into those heat recovery ventilators (HRV) which introduce fresh outside air into your HVAC system. I was thinking about getting the ducts cleaned first, but wanted to see if anyone had any advice first.

BTW - I have central air which uses the same ducts as the furnace.

Sounds like you have what I have. I mentioned soot because it depends where your ducts lead up/out to & what's around you - your area. In my neck of the woods we have fires & high winds during certain times of the year. I had a new roof installed & debris fell into my furnace unit/housing/flooring. Changing a filter does not clean out the ducts. Before installing anything new, I would call around & relate what you want done & what you might want to install. Perhaps a licensed contractor is another way to go. I found a good guy through my realtor when I sold my last home. A 50 year old house, you just don't know what problems you may run into, but do your calling around & get estimates, checking w the BBB is not a bad idea.

Last edited:
I would have it looked at by a professional. DH has been in the homebuilding business for 28 years, and I have never heard him mention this as an issue.

Our ductwork was installed in 1986. From 1986 to 2003, this ductwork was only in use for a wood burning furnace. In 2003, due to a new insurance carrier, who refused to insure any home whose primary heat source was a woodburning furnance, we had a heat pump installed. We had an opportunity to see the inside of our ductwork. There was nothing there, not even 1/8th inch of dust.

It was like 200-300 bucks, i think, they were very carefuoll and cleaned up after themselves, you just need to find a reliable contractor.

Depending on how often your furnace's air filter is changed, and how dusty your house is... if you have pets (hair) or not, the return air duct can get downright FILTHY with dust and brownish "fur"... all kinds ot airborne pathogens. That's no lie. I used to be a sheetmetal worker and had my head in more than a few ducts, mostly commercial, but houses can get just as dirty. Especially if there are smokers.
Take off a RA grill and use a flashlight and mirror to see how dirty the ducts look inside. It would be nice if you can cut an access hole to look in the main trunk downstairs, too. And most houses utilize the joist spaces to get from the grills to the trunk. That wood is a magnet for dust to build up on before it gets back to the filter.
Hire someone bonded and insured. They should have a dedicated van with a big vaccuum in it just for cleaning ducts. Its a special machine and not every furnace guy in the book can to a proper job.

I had one duct cleaned last year but I don't remember the price. I wanted to have all of them cleaned in the condo but when the guy come he told me that the painters had painted the openings to the ducts directly on the wall.

I was so mad so the only duct that could be cleaned was the one in the living room because it had been covered with the same wallpaper as the wall and all he had to do was to unscrew it from the wall.

Can't relate. Since our house was built in 1880, there was no such thing as ducts. However, we have lived in more modern structures that DID have ducts. Never had them cleaned because we didn't live in them very long.

All I can recommend is that you do your homework, especially checking out the integrity of the company you select to do your work. Doing a BBB check is good. Also, if possible, get whatever work is done in writing if there is any type of warranty/guarantee offered by the company.

Once or twice a year, I take the furnace floor grates out and vacuum the inside area. There is usually loose small clutter in there. You can reach your hand inside the duct and check the surfaces. I was amazed that mine were so clean. You can cover these floor grates with cheese cloth or netting to filter the air further. If your house is smelling musty, you might inspect the plumbing for water leaks especially around the hot water heater and the washer/dryer. Of course some basements are just going to be musty. The one and only reason that I would consider having the ducts cleaned is low air flow and the smell of decay such as dead mice. I don't have a wood burning furnace and I would think the maintenance would be a different issue from gas/electric.

Back
Top Bottom