Has Anyone Tried to Go Shopping?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

In the Kitchen

Executive Chef
It took me 45 minutes to get to the parking lot and I wanted to drive right home. What is going on? I thought people were stressed for money? I could not believe it. I truly thank the man that gave me break in line of cars trying to get off the lot. He is saint. Thank you Jesus, for helping me get home. I was trying to RETURN something!!!! Once I got to the store everyone resenting one another for the space they took made me sick. I told them 'Merry Christmas' and you could not believe the reaction I got. Well, they bring it on themselves this is craziness. Now I am at home feeling thankful to be ALONE without everyone trying to push me out of the way. Just curious if anyone here tried to go out. My family, doing what they normally do and that is why they are oblivious to what I am talking about. Is this what Christmas is all about?

Even the parking lots at grocery stores are really packed.

People are spending more than they bring in each week.

I am not so sure that this is going to be a blow out christmas for the retailers this year.

kleenex

Do you believe I have to go to the grocery store at 1:30 tomorrrow afternoon? I am so nervous but what good does it do? Just for one day? This bothers me that people are so anxious and this is not what supposed to be. I am thankful you noticed it! When you have to go places alone you feel so isolated and wonder what it happening to you? To be sitting here brings me such peace. Knowing how they are all trying to make each other happy with some kind of gift. If only people would be kind to each other each and every day, this wouldn't be necessary. How do you feel?

yup, i just got back itk. this has been a very bad week at work, not only trying to keep us on the air, but also just getting warm bodies to cover shifts. i got called in on an emergency last night at midnight, and was already scheduled to do a double today for coverage. i told them to try to find someone else, but i was the only dope that answered the phone. twice. (hitting forehead with shoe)
so now i'm on a triple, and still needed to buy presents.
i spent my lunch hour charging through several stores here in the city, heck bent on getting gifts for dw and my parents. we're not seeing the rest of my family 'till after christmas, so, now that it's crunch time, i'll deal with obtaining their gifts later.
i was pleasently surprised at how nice everyone is. i mean, it's still nyc, agressive as ever, but the stores were packed with abnormally polite shoppers, and the sales people helpful. it must be that everyone's just happy that the transit strike is over. i guess when your life gets harder, it makes you appreciate things and look at them from a different perspective when the problems subside.

i still have a few places to hit before i go home, so that'l be my dinner hour.

You will get yours I feel sure about that. Who knows doing what you do will have some future reward, I feel sure of it. You are a man who does not like to let anyone down and there is always those that couldn't fill your shoes. Doing the 'extra' like you do will not go unnoticed. I am thankful people were kind to you. See? You are already feeling the gift that is for you alone. This is special time and I hope you experience nothing but good, loving people b ecause you are that kind of person. Thanks for letting me know people are trying to show the real feeling of Christmas. Love! I wish you the best! just that my nerves take a workout at this time of year. Always remember we are here hoping the best for you. New York City is that where you were? They should feel grateful.

All this week, I've done whatever going I have to do very early in the day. Today I haven't been anywhere. All my gifts have been sent and arrived, and the locals only need to be wrapped. We sent my grandchildren's gifts in a box that said "Craftsman Mitre Saw". That shook them up. When they were put under the tree, the question was "who gets the mitre saw?". I only have to pick up a very few things tomorrow and will get them very early.

I went out and picked up a few groceries. Safeway was very very busy.
But... everyone seemed to be in a good mood. I even ran into David while I was there and convinced him to come to dinner tonight. It was worth the parking hassles.

pdswife said:
I went out and picked up a few groceries. Safeway was very very busy.
But... everyone seemed to be in a good mood. I even ran into David while I was there and convinced him to come to dinner tonight. It was worth the parking hassles.

I once saw movie where the story was about miracles happening at Christmas! Is this what happened to you? I often think of the song where a girl and her boyfriend ran into each other while Christmas shopping and spent a few moments together. The title escapes me but that is what I often hope would happen to me. Guess I am just getting blue about the times past. My son just told me Dan Folgelberg is the guy who sang it. What a good song.

I saw on the news that December 23rd is the busiest shopping day of the year. According to Visa, there are 600 transactions per second (in Canada only). Whoa! That is a LOT of shopping! No wonder those parking lots were so crammed.

buckytom said:
lol, my wife can do that standing on her head!!!!

:LOL:

i just went to get my Mom a tiramisu at this little place recently. i live in a city now that has so many little shops, i'm thinking of venturing out for some presents. it's okay in pittsburgh. more people than on an average day; i'm a (new) city person, i'm used to chaotic stuff- before i lived here i was used to it already, i was here so often. gotta go in to be w/ my family for Christmas soon, we're having our dinner w/ presents to follow Christmas Day, so i need to get out before too long.

I went out early this morning and was home before 8:00 a.m. I had a few things to pick up - there were only 2 or 3 shoppers in the store besides myself. I likeeeeeeeee that!.

I got my food yesterday while shopping for the week, it wasn't too bad. Went out today to replace the boys games and was really surprised. I used to have to go shopping on Christmas eve because I would have to get the bills paid and then have that last minute of money. LOL.
I hated it. People get crazy at the last minute because they can't find what they want. This year I went in ready for it and it just wasn't like that. I was very happy to get in and out and the traffic wasn't bad either.

My P.T. (therapist) asked if I had my shopping done..I said my two sons were doing it for me. He said "Good! Don't even think of going out in this shopping frenzy" I tried it last Wednesday after I had my hair appointment. I had my walker in the trunk of the car. Even though it only weighs 30 pounds it is really heavy to lift in and out. It has a basket that comes off and a seat on it. I lifted it in and out twice..no one offered to help. That don't understand! My sons will help any one that they see needs help and so will I. I guess I expected too much out of passers by. While using a walker and just a few days out of the hip replacement surgery I was helping others in the Rehab. Hospital because I knew it took up to 45 minutes for the girls on duty to get to their room. Maybe they just needed their water or something fell on the floor etc. if I could do it for them I did. If it was something I couldn't do and was an emergency I went looking for an Aid. It keep me up and walking and that was what I needed to do for my self so I enjoyed helping others.
Nuff said...I'll stop for now.
Marge

I was out yesterday and it was madness. I didn't go to the mall but drove past it and it took me 30 minutes to go a distance usually doable in 5.

Today I HAD to pick up a Honey Baked Ham for tomorrow and I was dreading. Traffic in Beaverton on a weekend is always terrible and there's always a line on days like today at the ham shop. Figured I'd get my mile's walk in from what ever parking spot I could find.

The Gods are smiling on me. Traffic was unbelievably light. Parked 3 spaces away from the shop, the line moved very quickly and I was home in about 35 minutes! DH thought I'd ditched the whole thing because I was back so soon!:ROFLMAO:

Merry Christmas Everyone!

I had finished my shopping by lunch time yesterday. So Christmas eve has been great - wrapping gifts, making mince-pies and shortbread. Listened to Carols from King's College, Cambridge on telly and felt that Christmas was finally here.

Most of my family members arrived by 8.00 pm and I am not ready to fall into bed, with an early start in the morning.

Merry Christmas to you all here on DC.:chef:

Back
Top Bottom