"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-06-2014, 11:04 AM   #71
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
It's not a fact; it's your opinion, based on your experience. My experience is different.
I bet if you polled folks from the south, and folks from up north, the majority of snake haters and purposeful killers of snakes reside in the south.

I am not saying its only the south. But I am saying its generational and many people here would prefer a snake less world.
Fact.

I have lived here 20 years. I have met exactly one person in all these years that would give a snake the benefit of the doubt and allow it to leave on its own. The rest would have chopped of his head on sight.
Fact.

Old 07-06-2014, 12:27 PM   #72
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Enough...take it to PM, PLEASE!!!!

Old 07-06-2014, 01:12 PM   #73
Senior Cook

"I don't like spiders and snakes, but that ain't what it takes to love me...." courtesy of Jim Stafford.

Sent from my SM-N900R4 using Discuss Cooking mobile app
cjmmytunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 01:48 PM   #74
Senior Cook

I live in the varmint and pest capitol of the world: The South. We have all 3 varieties of venomous snakes and most types of venomous spiders. What do I hate? Pests that cause PAIN. That would be those nasty German Yellowjackets, fire ants, and horse/deer flies. I've been stung by yellowjackets right through my clothing. The stings are so intense that they cause muscle cramps and itch for a week. Being bitten by a horse fly is like someone pulling a chunk of your skin out with pliers. And they're relentless....they never give up until they bite you or you smash them first. And fire ants. I have no idea how such a small insect can produce such an irritating stinging sensation. Here in the south, one bout with the fire ants and you never sit down on a lawn or the ground again without inspecting the premises VERY carefully!
Old 07-06-2014, 02:05 PM   #75
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiklitmanfan View Post
I live in the varmint and pest capitol of the world: The South. We have all 3 varieties of venomous snakes and most types of venomous spiders. What do I hate? Pests that cause PAIN. That would be those nasty German Yellowjackets, fire ants, and horse/deer flies. I've been stung by yellowjackets right through my clothing. The stings are so intense that they cause muscle cramps and itch for a week. Being bitten by a horse fly is like someone pulling a chunk of your skin out with pliers. And they're relentless....they never give up until they bite you or you smash them first. And fire ants. I have no idea how such a small insect can produce such an irritating stinging sensation. Here in the south, one bout with the fire ants and you never sit down on a lawn or the ground again without inspecting the premises VERY carefully!

We have all of those, other than fire ants, in the Midwest as well. Our yellowjackets must have been the German ones, the stings last forever. Horse flies and deer flies are prevalent in both Canada and Mexico! And I got chiggers from sitting on the grass in Florida, itchy, but not like the yellow jacket stings.

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking
Old 07-06-2014, 03:54 PM   #76
Senior Cook

Almost everyone in my family is highly allergic to bees and such - needing to have allergy kits type of allergic. And they are all allergic to the cillian antibiotic family. Except me. Guess I got lucky - or unlucky.

Sent from my SM-N900R4 using Discuss Cooking mobile app
cjmmytunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 05:13 PM   #77
Master Chef

We seem to have an abundance of tarantula hawks (wasps) this year. UGH. They're enormous (2" in length), can be aggressive, and have a very painful sting. I haven't seen any in the back yard yet today, maybe they have moved on. I sure hope so, my 3 yr. old grandson was here yesterday and I couldn't even let him go play in the yard.

Tarantula Hawk - photos - video - DesertUSA

This part from the article did kinda give me a funny visual, though...LOL
"The wasps are "nectivorous," and they have been known to become "flight-challenged" after consuming fermented fruit."
Old 07-06-2014, 10:05 PM   #78
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiklitmanfan View Post
Horse Fly? Did I hear Horse Fly? They are considered the State Bird of Maine. Just ask Bakechef! They have a season of their own in Maine.
Old 07-06-2014, 10:19 PM   #79
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
We seem to have an abundance of tarantula hawks (wasps) this year. UGH. They're enormous (2" in length), can be aggressive, and have a very painful sting. I haven't seen any in the back yard yet today, maybe they have moved on. I sure hope so, my 3 yr. old grandson was here yesterday and I couldn't even let him go play in the yard.

Tarantula Hawk - photos - video - DesertUSA

This part from the article did kinda give me a funny visual, though...LOL
"The wasps are "nectivorous," and they have been known to become "flight-challenged" after consuming fermented fruit."

Oh dear, hoping for no stings for you and yours. This was cool reading! Thanks Cheryl!

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking
Old 07-06-2014, 10:42 PM   #80
Chef Extraordinaire

Good Heavens! I didn't even know such a creature even existed.