Hate is a strong word.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'll add one more to the list of despised critters and insects: chiggers

Seems like rarely a year goes by where my legs and ankles don't get eaten alive by those nasty little bugs. And the sores itch for months. I've had them last until well into winter.

chiggers-s4-bites.jpg

I'm sure glad I never got bitten by chiggers. I lived in the country with woods and fields and swamps. I'm surprised I didn't meet them. I guess I was wearing enough DEET. Back then it came in 90+%. :ohmy:

Seems like rarely a year goes by where my legs and ankles don't get eaten alive by those nasty little bugs. And the sores itch for months. I've had them last until well into winter.

chiggers-s4-bites.jpg

Try Milk of Magnesia, as in Phillip's fame, to cover the bites, allow to dry on. It may help, we use it on bee stings and it helps. May help with the chiggers, too.

One day in Texas The Pirate came in and the back of his hand looked like a road map. The doctor gave me some vile looking liquid medicine for him, and within 24 hours his hand cleared up. What he had was some kind of bug that gets under the skin and travels stopping every so often to lay eggs. Then continues on the journey. They were called Jigger worms. Can make you very sick. So glad we don't have them here in Massachusetts. :angel:

Oh dear, hoping for no stings for you and yours. This was cool reading! Thanks Cheryl!

Weird creatures, aren't they?! I've been outside a lot today and haven't seen a single one - they seem to have just up and disappeared. Hope I haven't spoken too soon....lol

OMG, Steve!! :ohmy: :ohmy:

Jiggers is another name for chiggers. Same as I what I've had. I would be surprised if you didn't have them in Massachusetts. Their territory covers most of the US.

I wouldn't be surprised Steve. I had just never heard of them until we moved to Texas. They are nasty! PF suggested M of M. You might also want to try putting aloe gel on them. Stops the itch instantly and helps in the curing of the bites. You can buy it by the bottle at your local Walgreen's or CVS. When we lived in Hawaii, Poo had some miserable infected squeeter bites. It stopped him from scratching immediately and by the next day almost all of the infection had been cleared up. Even with all his medical training, he still swears by it today. And even recommends it to his patients for mosquito bites. :angel:

Bees, fleas, ticks and mosquitos. Yaaaaaggggghhhhhh!!!!

I made this joke in adult Sunday School once: "Why didn't Noah swat those two fleas, skeeters and ticks?"

Answer: "And WHEN was the flyswatter invented, dingbat?"

LOL, we're stuck with em....so although I dislike em, I can't say I hate em. I like the word "loathe."

My Dad had close friends that lived in Barstow, California (right in the middle of the Mojave desert) so, when visiting, I was warned about Tarantula wasps, the hairy spiders themselves, scorpions, and the many venomous snakes. The Desert can be a very unfriendly place. Even the plants have stickers, spines, and barbs!

Last edited:
My Dad had close friends that lived in Barstow, California (right in the middle of the Mojave desert) so, when visiting, I was warned about Tarantula wasps, the hairy spiders themselves, and the many venomous snakes. The Desert can be a very unfriendly place. Even the plants have stickers, spines, and barbs!
And don't put your feet in your shoes until you have shaken out anything that might have crawled into them. One year at camp, a girl got stung by a scorpion because she didn't look. She got very little sympathy from people who didn't know her, even though she was hospitalized. "Silly girl, she should have shook her shoes."

chiggers-s4-bites.jpg

Yikes! Never had chiggers until I sat on the grass when we were in Florida, the nasty things got under the waistband of my shorts, and itched for weeks!

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking

My neighbor put his yard shoes on in the garage and a wasp, who was camping out inside the shoe, stung him repeatedly before he could get it back off. His whole foot swelled up like a balloon.

And don't put your feet in your shoes until you have shaken out anything that might have crawled into them. One year at camp, a girl got stung by a scorpion because she didn't look. She got very little sympathy from people who didn't know her, even though she was hospitalized. "Silly girl, she should have shook her shoes."

My neighbor put his yard shoes on in the garage and a wasp, who was camping out inside the shoe, stung him repeatedly before he could get it back off. His whole foot swelled up like a balloon.

I keep my yard shoes in the basement. I always shake them out real good and check inside before i put them on. Never know!

I've used the word "jigger" and "chigger" interchangeably all my life. Because I'm curious I finally looked them up and find that they're two different insects/arthropods. Who knew? Not me! :)

"Jiggers
Known medically as tungiasis, tropical jigger infections should not be confused with chigger bites. Chiggers are Trombicula alfreddugesi larvae. Jiggers are female sand fleas (Tunga penetrans) that burrow in the skin of people's feet and lower legs with the purposes of laying their eggs.

Jiggers who take root raise white lesions with black dots in their centers that can cause intense pain and itching. Options for treating jigger infections include surgical removal, suffocating the fleas by covering the black dot (i.e., the flea's air hole) with an airtight wax dressing, or applying thiabendazole, ivermectin (e.g., Stromectol from Merck) or metrifonate cream. Untreated jigger infections can lead to the development of tetanus, cellulitis and gangrene."

Information About Tropical Skin Disease | eHow

I've used the word "jigger" and "chigger" interchangeably all my life. Because I'm curious I finally looked them up and find that they're two different insects/arthropods. Who knew? Not me! :)
Really? Just looking to argue again, are you? :rolleyes:

Trust me, I've grown up and lived around these things my whole life. I've heard them called both chiggers and jiggers. There are no tropical insects here. In this part of the country both names refer to the same thing, perhaps incorrectly, but whataya gonna do.

Back
Top Bottom