Hate is a strong word.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
My three most despised insects in order"

1. Ticks

2. Horsefly - not only do they hurt when they bite, but one of those little buggers bit PAG on top of her bald head when she was just barely able to crawl, and left a bloody wound. I have had an intense desire to obliterate them from the planet ever since. Bite me and you're not my freind. Bite my baby and beware my wrath. Yep, that but met a quick and violent end.

3. Mosquito

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

1. Wasp. I stepped on one while barefoot. That was when I was like 9 and fifty years later I still remember it. My foot swelled up so much I couldn't even walk on it. And that was just one, I know they come in swarms. (shudder)

2. Mosquito's, because I live in a tropical climate and mosquito bites come in multiples. You never have just one or two. You look like you have hives. And they itch like a mufflebutter!!!!!

3. Worms. I know worms are beneficial and all that.....I wish I could get over the phobia so I could use a worm composter thingy. But I can't. Insert Heebie - Jeebie dance here.

.....(wonders what these little creatures thinks of us
eusa_think.gif
)

Fair point...but they sense things. Ever seen a spider "freeze" when we scream at it?

Well, mosquitoes think of us as a giant buffet...luckily, they don't like what I have to offer.

Yes I draw the line at fleas and mosquitoes, i.e. have no qualms in killing them.

However, we pass on the fear of spiders to our children and it is mostly irrational (unless you live somewhere that spiders are poisonous). They can be removed with the glass and card technique, i.e. placing a large glass over them then slipping a card underneath to form a trap. Then they can be taken outdoors and set free.

Also, if a fly is in the room, I find that by opening a window they will gravitate to the draught and fly out. No need for flysprays.

I will add yellow jacket hornets to Chief's list. Mowing the lawn one day, I ran over one of their holes in the lawn, and a bunch of them flew up my shorts legs and kept stinging and stinging. Weeks of pain!

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking

I will add yellow jacket hornets to Chief's list. Mowing the lawn one day, I ran over one of their holes in the lawn, and a bunch of them flew up my shorts legs and kept stinging and stinging. Weeks of pain!
Wow didn't know wasps made their homes in holes in lawns. Here in UK they make paper-type nests under roof crevices.

Not wasps, hornets. The wasps around here are really sweet and mild compared to yellow jackets, which are evil and will even fly into your pop can and sting your lip when you take a sip. Wasps also build paper nests here.

I guess technically they're all wasps. Yellow jackets are black and yellow striped with really mean looking faces. Paper wasps are all black.

Last edited:
Chief was right to place ticks at the top of his list. The other insects are just a momentary irritation, unless a person has an allergic reaction to them.

An infected tick, if it's infected and not all are, can mean years, decades a lifetime of suffering it its bite isn't treated immediately: Like IMMEDIATELY.

Chief was right to place ticks at the top of his list. The other insects are just a momentary irritation, unless a person has an allergic reaction to them.

An infected tick, if it's infected and not all are, can mean years, decades a lifetime of suffering it its bite isn't treated immediately: Like IMMEDIATELY.
I beg to differ. I believe that mosquitoes are the animal that is responsible for more human deaths than any other animal (humans are second). Think yellow fever, malaria, ...

I'm not usually allergic to mosquitoes, but I have been bitten so much on two occasions that I swelled up. The second time the pharmacist recommended an anti-histamine and that helped a lot.

I never get bit by mosquitos, but DH gets totally bit up. I told him it's because he eats a lot of sweets and I don't.

They say that Avon Skin So Soft Bath Oil will keep them away.

I beg to differ. I believe that mosquitoes are the animal that is responsible for more human deaths than any other animal (humans are second). Think yellow fever, malaria, ...

That's right, number 1 killer in the animal kingdom.

I never get bit by mosquitos, but DH gets totally bit up. I told him it's because he eats a lot of sweets and I don't.

They say lots of things work against mosquitoes. The only one I have heard (here) that I haven't tried yet is citronella. The only thing that works for me so far is DEET, the stuff in Muskol and Deep Woods Off.

You're right, taxlady---- mosquitoes ARE responsible for many deaths. I was speaking about insects/arachnids in the U.S. and probably the UK.

To explain my post, I didn't say that ticks were responsible for many human deaths, to the extent that malaria transmitting mosquitoes are in tropical countries. Perhaps you mis-read my post?

(But I know many people who suffer from long-term Lyme who, at their darkest hours, almost wish for death. :()

But they (infected ticks) have been documented as the reason for many a heart block death and other serious comorbidities.

According to the CDC almost all of the cases of malaria in the US are from people who have traveled to other parts of the world. And thank goodness they can receive treatment here.

Edit here---- my bolding isn't yelling---- it's simply to draw attention to a certain phrase or word.

Last edited:

I've heard that it will keep mosquitoes away also. Not so much, ticks. I had one dog that would get huge swellings at mosquito bite sites. I think she would have preferred a mosquito bite than the smell of that bath oil. :)

You're right, taxlady---- mosquitoes ARE responsible for many deaths. I was speaking about insects/arachnids in the U.S. and probably the UK.

To explain my post, I didn't say that ticks were responsible for many human deaths, to the extent that malaria transmitting mosquitoes are in tropical countries. Perhaps you mis-read my post? And you probably just mis-spoke that ticks are animals? I know you don't think that.

(But I know many people who suffer from long-term Lyme who, at their darkest hours, almost wish for death. :()

But they (infected ticks) have been documented as the reason for many a heart block death and other serious comorbidities.

According to the CDC almost all of the cases of malaria in the US are from people who have traveled to other parts of the world. And thank goodness they can receive treatment here.
I was only disagreeing with this part of your post, "The other insects are just a momentary irritation, unless a person has an allergic reaction to them." Your statement may be true in North America, nowadays, but it wasn't always true.

Maybe we define animals differently. Ticks are in the animalia kingdom. That's what I consider animals.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom