"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-01-2014, 08:08 AM   #1
Master Chef

Hate is a strong word.

My three most despised insects in order"

1. Ticks

2. Horsefly - not only do they hurt when they bite, but one of those little buggers bit PAG on top of her bald head when she was just barely able to crawl, and left a bloody wound. I have had an intense desire to obliterate them from the planet ever since. Bite me and you're not my freind. Bite my baby and beware my wrath. Yep, that but met a quick and violent end.

3. Mosquito

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 02:22 AM   #2
Sous Chef

1. Wasp. I stepped on one while barefoot. That was when I was like 9 and fifty years later I still remember it. My foot swelled up so much I couldn't even walk on it. And that was just one, I know they come in swarms. (shudder)

2. Mosquito's, because I live in a tropical climate and mosquito bites come in multiples. You never have just one or two. You look like you have hives. And they itch like a mufflebutter!!!!!

3. Worms. I know worms are beneficial and all that.....I wish I could get over the phobia so I could use a worm composter thingy. But I can't. Insert Heebie - Jeebie dance here.

Old 07-03-2014, 06:18 AM   #3
Head Chef

Question

.....(wonders what these little creatures thinks of us )
Old 07-03-2014, 06:53 AM   #4
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative View Post
.....(wonders what these little creatures thinks of us )
They don't.
Old 07-03-2014, 06:57 AM   #5
Head Chef

Fair point...but they sense things. Ever seen a spider "freeze" when we scream at it?
Old 07-03-2014, 10:33 AM   #6
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Well, mosquitoes think of us as a giant buffet...luckily, they don't like what I have to offer.
Old 07-03-2014, 10:45 AM   #7
Head Chef

Yes I draw the line at fleas and mosquitoes, i.e. have no qualms in killing them.

However, we pass on the fear of spiders to our children and it is mostly irrational (unless you live somewhere that spiders are poisonous). They can be removed with the glass and card technique, i.e. placing a large glass over them then slipping a card underneath to form a trap. Then they can be taken outdoors and set free.

Also, if a fly is in the room, I find that by opening a window they will gravitate to the draught and fly out. No need for flysprays.
Old 07-03-2014, 11:00 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I will add yellow jacket hornets to Chief's list. Mowing the lawn one day, I ran over one of their holes in the lawn, and a bunch of them flew up my shorts legs and kept stinging and stinging. Weeks of pain!

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking
Old 07-03-2014, 11:22 AM   #9
Head Chef

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I will add yellow jacket hornets to Chief's list. Mowing the lawn one day, I ran over one of their holes in the lawn, and a bunch of them flew up my shorts legs and kept stinging and stinging. Weeks of pain!
Wow didn't know wasps made their homes in holes in lawns. Here in UK they make paper-type nests under roof crevices.
Old 07-03-2014, 12:11 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Hate is a strong word.

Not wasps, hornets. The wasps around here are really sweet and mild compared to yellow jackets, which are evil and will even fly into your pop can and sting your lip when you take a sip. Wasps also build paper nests here.

I guess technically they're all wasps. Yellow jackets are black and yellow striped with really mean looking faces. Paper wasps are all black.

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking