Have a look at this!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I live in a city founded by immigrants. And they are still coming. With all of their foods and dishes. So if I should want an "authentic" ethnic food, it is easily found. But the Mexican food made by someone who grew up on the Atlantic side of the country, may be authentic. But the Mexican who grew up on the Pacific side of their country may never have heard of that dish. The same goes for Italian, Chinese or any other ethnic food.

Andy mentioned Rick Bayless. I have seen on some of his shows where he goes out into the inner part of Mexico's tiny little villages. He explains why 'that' dish the woman is cooking is so different from the one he saw cooked maybe 500 miles away.

Each region of any country have their own regional dishes. Even America. So when I see a dish that is supposed to be authentic Chinese, I don't know if it is or not, or what region it is supposed to be from. If the writer of the article is going to call a dish 'authentic', then please tell me what part of that country it comes from. Educate me with a little geography and information of the people from that area. It tells me something about the people and what ingredients are available to them.

"I think microaggressions in social media are reflective of food media as a whole in that appropriation," Noche tells BBC Trending, "These microaggressions can be as simple as a lack of research."
I am getting so sick and tired of this microaggression stuff!

To me microaggression merely means, "You said something that I don't like." In America and in most democracies freedom of speech is a right. At least in America there is no right to not be offended, or that protects people from speech that offends them. It almost seems like there is a movement trying to create a de facto freedom against being offended.

Good grief! Offended by sticking chopsticks in a food serving in the wrong way? Give me a break!

I am a long time chopstick user and I like to use chopsticks with all Asian cuisine, even Thai food irrespective of the fact that modern Thais use western tableware. So far every Thai restaurant I've eaten at has never failed to hand me my chopsticks, with a smile.

I wish we could rid our language and culture of the idea of microaggressions as some sort of valid concept or right to be protected from them. The whole concept is adverse to freedom.

And my God! Microaggressions in food blogs and recipes?

Last edited:
I am getting so sick and tired of this microaggression stuff!

To me microaggression merely means, "You said something that I don't like." In America and in most democracies freedom of speech is a right. At least in America there is no right to not be offended, or that protects people from speech that offends them. It almost seems like there is a movement trying to create a de facto freedom against being offended.

Good grief! Offended by sticking chopsticks in a food serving in the wrong way? Give me a break!

I am a long time chopstick user and I like to use chopsticks with all Asian cuisine, even Thai food irrespective of the fact that modern Thais use western tableware. So far every Thai restaurant I've eaten at has never failed to hand me my chopsticks, with a smile.

I wish we could rid our language and culture of the idea of microaggressions as some sort of valid concept or right to be protected from them. The whole concept is adverse to freedom.

And my God! Microaggressions in food blogs and recipes?

Greg if I am going to be offended by a picture of a food, then I think there just might be something wrong with my thinking. It is just a picture for goodness sake. I don't care what nationality it is supposed to represent. I see pictures of pasta with meatballs all the time. Well, I have news for those people who set up the food for the picture. In Italy they don't serve meatballs on top of the pasta. The meat, no matter what it may be is served in a separate bowl to be passed around. But I certainly do not take offense of the picture or the photographer. If anyone should be offended it is the person responsible for the story. There freedom of speech and/or expression is being publically trampled upon.

It must have been a slow day for a stupid article such as the one written in that story. And yes, I did read the whole article. BTW, I put the meatballs on top of the pasta myself on each individual plate I am serving to someone. Even to some of my Italian friends. Everyone leaves the table with a full tummy and I have one less bowl to wash and dry.

In regards to the article, I think the problem starts when someone totally unaware of cultural idiosyncrasies posts a photo of a food they are eating in a manner that offends the culture the food is based on. The argument about the "placement of chopstix" is valid. However, the writer of the article is not cutting the person posting the photo any slack for actually being unaware of the slander. There are certain chopstix arrangements in Asian culture that are as vulgar as the common "middle finger". Apparently, the author feels that before you snap and share that picture of your take-out dinner, you had best check multiple sites making sure you are culturally correct...while your food gets cold, I guess.

She should have done her research first. Even the photographer should have. I know nothing of being a vegetarian. Only from what I have read in what Larry Stewart has shared with us in this forum. But that doesn't make me knowledgeable enough to post pictures or write an article about the subject.

But I have learned something new tonight. I never knew there were rules regarding chop sticks. All I know is that I still cannot master using them. And that I have given up trying. I am an American, give me a fork please.

. I know nothing of being a vegetarian. Only from what I have read in what Larry Stewart has shared with us in this forum. But that doesn't make me knowledgeable enough to post pictures or write an article about the subject.

Its ok Addie. If you ever decide to write an article about being a vegetarian, you can site me as your source for info and Ill take full blame for the fall out, should there be any :LOL: .

Remember chopsticks comes in different forms and different rules how to use them so pick the right chopstick...

I seen an Asian food blog where the woman is using fish knife for chicken, I didnt get offended, I just went oh and then kept reading the recipe. It is rare to see silver fish knifes these days.

Greg if I am going to be offended by a picture of a food, then I think there just might be something wrong with my thinking.
Exactly my point about the article in the OP. Offended by a picture of how some blogger shows their food depicted?

Things like microaggression are just too crazy for me. People should just not read such articles if it offends them.

The author means nothing "aggressive" but some jerk comes along and says the author was committing a microagression.

Goodbye freedom of speech.

Its a complicated issue. On the one hand, people are worried about their culture being Americanized and Westernized and then on the other hand, when people try to engage with their culture with food they complain about it not being authentic enough.

These sites are there to make money and get readers and sometimes using cultural 'props,' names and simplified versions of cuisine are the best way to do that.

By the way, you see this stuff in Asia all the time in restaurants targeted at tourists so I don't know if the outsiders are totally to blame.

If you're offended by an image of chopsticks sticking straight up out of rice then that's just too bad, you need to grow a thicker skin. You shouldn't deliberately do it to offend but you can't expect everyone to be fully up to date on the customs of every culture.

The bottom line is to think about the cost. Is there a negative impact of this stuff worth worrying about?

Its ok Addie. If you ever decide to write an article about being a vegetarian, you can site me as your source for info and Ill take full blame for the fall out, should there be any :LOL: .

Thanks Larry. I needed a kind word. This has not been my best week.

goosander, around here we call that "stirring the stick," for profit and/or page hits.

Sadly, too many blogs are fueled by controversy + advertising income. More controversy = more hits = more money.

Back
Top Bottom