"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-04-2012, 08:22 AM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Have any of you gone paperless?

For years I had a system that worked very well for me. I always kept a year of payments on file. Put the new one in, take out the year old one. Not once have I ever had to look back on what was in the files. So little by little I kept falling behind on the filing. And it seemed like I would run out of stamps at the most inconvenient time. I only have five bills to pay each month including my rent. Now I only write one check. Sometimes two if I need cash items at the grocery store that aren't covered by food stamps. And no stamps are needed as the office for my rent is right down stairs. Eventually I will have only my medical files and checking/savings account along with miscellaneous stuff. Letters, odd receipts, etc. One less chore to do. And it had become a chore I was hating. There will be less stuff and junk for my kids to sort through. Any real important papers are stored at my daughter's house in her safe. I receive notice of my bills on line. And I always pay over what is due. My phone bill is only $17+ a month, so I up it to the next dollar. I hate odd change.

Any time I get coffee to go, I tell the girl to keep the change. And when I have to bring home change, it goes into the glass milk bottle. When I get enough, I roll it all. A full bottle comes to about $40. That gets converted right away to the savings account. After a while it adds up and it is a nice feeling to have something to fall back on if needed. It is what keeps me going to the end of the month.

Old 04-04-2012, 08:33 AM   #2
Master Chef

I have, on most of my stuff, but not all. The option I like the most is option to have paperless bills thr my bank. Instead of e-mailing me they bill my bank directly. Money comes out from set account. So much easier. I hate paper waist.
Everybody talks about invironmkent this would be trully an amazing saving of paper, only if everybody would go paperless.

Old 04-04-2012, 08:46 AM   #3
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Still working on it. I pay as much as I can online. Now if I could just get the insurance company and hospital to go paperless. I get the bill that say I owe $$$, I get the paperwork that says what the insurance pays $$ and then I get the itemization from the Flex account says that I owe nothing.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:10 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
I have, on most of my stuff, but not all. The option I like the most is option to have paperless bills thr my bank. Instead of e-mailing me they bill my bank directly. Money comes out from set account. So much easier. I hate paper waist.
Everybody talks about invironmkent this would be trully an amazing saving of paper, only if everybody would go paperless.
I have a 'control' thing. I feel like I have given up control of my money by letting it come directly from my account to the payee. Also each month the amount I pay to my two credit cards varies. I always pay more than the minimum. But I don't always pay the same amount each month. The other two bills, cable and land phone, stays the same. And of course the rent is the same. It will go up in August. That is when I am due for a review. And with the increase in SS last January, it will be shown in my rent increase. My rent will go up by $25.00.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:14 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Still working on it. I pay as much as I can online. Now if I could just get the insurance company and hospital to go paperless. I get the bill that say I owe $$$, I get the paperwork that says what the insurance pays $$ and then I get the itemization from the Flex account says that I owe nothing.
My mantra, whenever I need one is, "I hate insurance companies, I hate insurance companies."
Old 04-04-2012, 09:28 AM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

I've been paying all my bills through online banking for years. I rarely ever write a check anymore.

I used to keep paper copies of all the bills I paid but decided to stop that practice and tossed them all. Besides, with online banking, there is no paper to file...
Old 04-04-2012, 09:32 AM   #7
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I am as paperless as possible. I would have to go looking for the checkbook if I needed it, I know it's in the house, somewhere...

I no longer let bills be Auto drafted from my account, I pay them either directly from their website with one time payments or have my credit union pay them with their online bill pay.

I also do my taxes with Turbo Tax online, and save a copy of the return on a flash drive, and another copy in "the cloud".

I need to explore if my insurance company can go "paperless", I already pay them online, but they mail so much crap, I'd rather have all that stuff go to e-mail.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 09:44 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I don't even have a checking account. I have DirectXpress. My Social Security is directly deposited and I have a debit card. I pay my cable bill online, and sometimes my electric, but that costs an additional $2.95. I buy a money order for my rent and usually electric too,

I get email notification for the cable and electric, as well as a statement in the mail. The cable bill because the email/computer account doesn't itemize the costs, the paper statement does. The electric statement by mail is so I can mail them a payment - 60 for a money order versus $2.95 for paying online. I keep stamps on hand.

I only keep enough cash on hand in case I need to take a cab.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 10:09 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

My son doesn't have a checkinig account either. All his bill paying is within walking or driving distance. He takes all his money out and leaves just $5.00 in the account. He getds a M.O. for the rent. That only costs him $1.00.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:30 AM   #10
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef
I am as paperless as possible. I would have to go looking for the checkbook if I needed it, I know it's in the house, somewhere...
Ditto. The only checks we write are for rent, but when we signed a year's lease we gave the landlord a year's worth of checks.

For bills, I'm 100% paper-free. The bills all come to my email, and I then log into my bank account online and pay them.

I rarely have cash on me either. I can go for weeks without having a single cent in my wallet. Everything is paid with our debit cards.