"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-10-2007, 10:52 AM   #11
Sous Chef

I had the kids do this a week ago, it was pretty fun watching them run after setting it on the porch.

Of course my daughter has to tell them later that it was her. Girls can never keep their mouths shut! haha

Old 10-10-2007, 11:25 AM   #12
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
My little one was out there with me delivering the gifts and had fun with it. He'd run after setting it on the front door steps. We're going to take a drive to see how many homes have been booed so far.

Old 10-10-2007, 03:53 PM   #13
Traveling Welcome Wagon

This is really a neat idea Dina! We can't afford to do it for Halloween, but maybe by Christmas we could do something similar. Thanks!

Barbara
Old 10-10-2007, 05:59 PM   #14
Master Chef

Our area calls it "ghosting" and we have signs to put on your door so no gets double. Your mission (should you choose to accept it) is to "ghost" others who haven't been "ghosted" yet. It really spreads the goodwill all over without spending a lot of money. I've received holiday napkins, candles, clings, flashlights you name it. When it is my turn I go to Dollar Tree or Factory Card Outlet who have inexpensive things for all the holidays. I try to spend around $5-6 on each house. It's fun to see what people will give!
Old 10-10-2007, 06:32 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Cool jabbur! We keep a sign on our door when we've been booed so we don't get doubles again. I've only seen about 3 signs up today. Hopefully, more neighbors will get into this.
Barbara,
I would like to get this started for Christmas. I think it would be a nicer idea for the holidays. What do you suggest for the sign to read? How about "You've Been Snowed On!"? (although it doesn't snow down here...lol).
Old 10-10-2007, 06:46 PM   #16
Traveling Welcome Wagon

No names are coming to me yet, Dina, but I will give it some thought! I guess one of the biggest considerations for the Christmas one is if all your neighbors celebrate Christmas. I know ours do, so we can include Christmas in the name. Otherwise a name with "holiday" or "winter" would work.

Barbara
Old 10-10-2007, 08:04 PM   #17
Head Chef

We did this at school one year. It was a lot of fun. Once you were booed you hung a pictured of the ghost (included in your treats) on your classroom door.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:17 PM   #18
Executive Chef

That's cool to do this in schools too Elaine.

Right about various celebrations Barb. I would give the treats to someone I know celebrates Christmas. Let's keep brainstorming.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:31 PM   #19
Traveling Welcome Wagon

The sign could be shaped like a Christmas tree and could say something like "You've been decorated!" LOL

Barbara
Old 10-11-2007, 12:05 AM   #20
Master Chef

Our neighborhood does it at Christmas too but we call it elfing as in YOU"VE BEEN ELFED! with a picture of one of Santa's helpers. Same rules apply.