"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-08-2007, 07:55 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
Have you been Boo'd yet?

Does anyone carry on the neighbor/friend Halloween Boo'd chain? Last year this month, we got some cool Halloween treats put on our front door with a "You've Been Boo'd" sign asking we pass the sign along to three neighbors and deliver a treat bag for each of them. We got one again Saturday. Kinda makes you feel that you're being a good neighbor/friend. This year I have more time to continue the chain and working on putting together some treat bags for my neighbors. Cool idea I think. Has anyone received this lately?

Old 10-08-2007, 08:12 PM   #2
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to keltin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dina View Post
Does anyone carry on the neighbor/friend Halloween Boo'd chain? Last year this month, we got some cool Halloween treats put on our front door with a "You've Been Boo'd" sign asking we pass the sign along to three neighbors and deliver a treat bag for each of them. We got one again Saturday. Kinda makes you feel that you're being a good neighbor/friend. This year I have more time to continue the chain and working on putting together some treat bags for my neighbors. Cool idea I think. Has anyone received this lately?
Never heard of this, but dang it is cool. Gonna try it!

BOO!

Old 10-08-2007, 08:21 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Keltin,
I'll send you the message via PM that should read on the note you leave with your treat. Have fun with it!
Old 10-08-2007, 10:08 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Quote:
Is it something other than candy?I bet it is.How fun never heard of it before.I did once do an easter bag for a girlfriend that was single but not rich and once told me she loved asparagus but could not afford it so I made up a bag of asparagus and other goodies and hung it on her door.She figured out it was me but was so thrilled about her easter bag.I think it was more fun for me than it was for her as I loved looking for fun little things she might appreciate.
Old 10-08-2007, 10:15 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Quote:
Keltin,
I'll send you the message via PM that should read on the note you leave with your treat. Have fun with it!
Send me also a PM. Please?
Old 10-08-2007, 10:15 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Never heard of this, but it sounds like loads of fun. Hope everyone who participates has a great time.
Old 10-09-2007, 01:01 AM   #7
Executive Chef

I'll post it on here for everyone first thing tomorrow morning.
Old 10-09-2007, 03:54 AM   #8
Sous Chef

It certainly is a cool idea Dina. But I am not sure what would happen if I initiated that tradition, in my neighbourhood. When we first moved here, my neighbour used to give us muffins and cookies etc. I returned the favours by giving her some home made pickles and anti pasta. After a couple of exchanges she asked me to not give her anymore. I felt quite rejected, especially since I am proud of my cooking.
I just give the neighbourhood kids treats at Halloween.
When one comes my way at Halloween, I give her/him a treat, from my treat bag.

Mel
Old 10-09-2007, 12:15 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Mel,
Maybe you can begin chosing other neighbor to give your goodies to. I'm sure other neighbors will be appreciative; I know I would.

This Halloween treat exchange began with a goodie bag sold at various stores (ie Target and other halloween stores). On the bag it reads a little riddle You've Been BOOED - Halloween Gift Craft Project and how to exchange the goodies with friends and neighbors. It's sort of "The Secret Elf" gift exchange during Christmas.
1. On a sheet of card stock type or hand write "We've Been Boo'd!" on one side with some halloween clipart or your own drawing.
2. On the other side of the card stock write:

You've Been Boo'd

Enjoy your treat!
Place the Boo sign on your front door.
Within 4 days, make 3 copies of this note and make 3 treat bags.
Secretly deliver to 3 neighbors/friends who do not have a BOO sign on their door.
Keep an eye on nearby front doors to see how far and fast it spreads by Halloween!!!

Remember not to include any parishable items as your neighbors might not get to your treat right away. Things I've received and given are: candle holders, halloween tip towels, pencils, all in a trick-or-treating plastic pumpkin. You don't necessarily have to use a bag. Make sure to include the card stock note with your treat. Have fun and let us know how this treat exchange goes in your neighborhood!
Old 10-09-2007, 12:27 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Sounds like a great idea. I sure wish my neighborhood was the friendly type but, sigh... it's not.