Having Fun

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Addie

Chef Extraordinaire
I thought you might like to see what is going on in my neighborhood. It is happening in the next town over. I used to go to this beach every day as a kid and clam dig. It is now a National Reservation and a very long beach.

http://www.wcvb.com/entertainment/photos-sand-sculpture-festival-on-revere-beach/27024438#!bjptVi

I wanted to go. But hearing from friends that did go, I am glad I didn't. There were fireworks, bands, dancing, foods galore, etc. The crowds were huge. I would have taken my wheel chair and that doesn't work on sand. :angel:

Wow, some pretty talented people there. Thanks for sharing the link, Addie. I enjoyed looking at the pics. :) Looks like beautiful weather there, too!

We have this sand castle festival every year and the crowds just get bigger and bigger. I don't know which draw the biggest crowds. When they are building them or the festival when they are done. There was a fireworks show at night. I have been to it twice. But now I would have to take my wheelchair, and it would just be too much hassle. When most out of town folks see it, they worry about high tide coming along and wiping out the creations. But they are way above the high tide line. That is a very wide and long beach. Unless a Nor'easter comes. :angel:

Fort Myers Beach FL has been doing a Sand Sculpting Championship for nearly 3 decades. The first year we went down there (2012) we were there the same week. Sure made driving up and down the only main road on the island a challenge! Last year we checked in a few weeks before it started and had a nice quiet week on the beach. This year we'll be getting out of Dodge just as it starts.

There are some very detailed sculptures at these events. Amazing what can be done with a pile of sand.

Not to outdo you, CG, but Virginia Beach has been doing its International Sandsculpting Championship for four decades ;) It's part of the city's Neptune Festival which takes place from the beginning of September into October - it's a thank-you to residents who put up with tourists all summer. The theme is always something ocean-related.

Lots of architecture and engineering firms enter; they have come up with some gorgeous sculptures. Here are last year's winners: 2013 SANDSCULPTING RESULTS

Last edited:
Tons and tons of special sand are brought in at the expense of big $$$$. They draw enormous crowds. You walk along looking in awe at these pieces of art with your mouth wide open. :angel:

Not to outdo you, CG, but Virginia Beach has been doing its International Sandsculpting Championship for four decades ;)...[/url]
Those are some amazing pieces of art, aren't they GG? And you aren't outdoing me. FMB is fun...for a week. Himself would move to FL. Me? Give me 4 seasons. Sometimes I've had all four inside of a week! And that's in both OH and here. Weather, she's a fickle lady.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure any decent sized body of water with sand on its beach (or hauled in sand) had a sand scultping contest! Heck, they even have them along the shore of Lake Erie. In fact, one of the award-winning sculptors, Carl Jara, is from Cleveland OH. For his day job he works at the Cleveland Museum of Art.

Back
Top Bottom