HDMI Cables

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GB

Chief Eating Officer
I have an HDTV and up until now I have had the cable box hooked hooked up to the TV with the component cables. I just bought an HDMI cable and hooked that up. I was told it does not matter if I leave the component cables plugged in. Does anyone know if this is true? Will I get a better picture if I unplug those?

Yeah I could try it, but that would require pulling the wall unit, TV, and cable box out again which is no small task.

It doesn’t matter. Some TVs are auto-sensing and detect the port the signal is on.

The majority of the others require you to select the “port” you’ve plugged the signal into (AV1, AV2, etc). But either way, each AV port has it’s own front end circuitry and will not be loaded down or affected by other AV inputs. So, it doesn’t matter; you can leave both plugged in.

Thanks keltin. That is basically what I was told, but I just wanted a second opinion. From the cable box to the TV I do not think I see much if any difference, but for $6 for the cable I figured I would be crazy not to go for it.

HDMI is the cable of choice for HD. But the cable box is going to be outputting about 95% SD (Standard Definition) signal. Most cable companies are only carrying about 7-12 HD channels right now. Depending on your TV, you should see some difference for HD signals with the new HDMI cable versus component, but it’s likely to be slim. Until more manufacturers take advantage of the HDMI interface (which is relatively new), it’s biggest draw is simpler cabling!

DVD is another matter!

Last edited:
My cable company offers 20 HD channels right now. I just noticed a bunch more tonight then where there yesterday.

Unfortunately my DVD player is a piece of junk. It does not have HDMI. Maybe I now have my excuse to upgrade.

My cable company offers 20 HD channels right now. I just noticed a bunch more tonight then where there yesterday.

Unfortunately my DVD player is a piece of junk. It does not have HDMI. Maybe I now have my excuse to upgrade.

20???? Sweet. Who are you with?

Mine has at least 20 channels too. I'm still trying to figure out how to watch a show "on demand" - I see the movies offered but I still haven't figured out how to watch just a regular program :(

If you’re torn about HD and Blu-ray for your next player, well that is tough. Blu-ray is slowly getting more support from movie houses, but HD has proven to be better at utilizing the HDMI interface. HD discs often offer superior audio and enhanced features that Blu-ray has YET to take advantage of. If possible, get a dual player (plays both HD and Blu-ray). If not…..well…..I’m betting on Blu-Ray for industry support in the long run even though HD has technically taken the jump at this time.

20???? Sweet. Who are you with?
Charter Communications. Here are the HD channels they offer.

A&E
History Channel
MOJO
Fox Sports Net New England
ESPN2
ESPN
New England Sports Network
Discovery HD Theater
HBO
Showtime
Cinemax
WGBH-DT - PBS
WBZ-DT - CBS
WCVB-DT - ABC
WFXT-DT - FOX
WHDH-DT - NBC
Starz
Universal HD
TNT
MHD

Katie I have been good, but not THAT good ;)

I am betting ob Blu too keltin, but I am going to wait until there is a clear winner most likely.

they say they are in hd but is that really true. i do not have cable tv or any type of tv. HD to me seems like it would have to take alot of bandwidth to send the data. is charter sending it in 480P, 720P 1080i or 1080P.

Component cables can handle up to 1080P. I still prefer DVI. then i dont have to deal with HDCP. HDCP is just another way to become slaves under the DRM, but i can see there POV for HDCP.

GB, HDMI carries audio as well as video. There's no reason to have both set of cables connected. The TV will feed off either one, not both at the same time. My set has a different video channel for each connection (Vid 1-7) which is labeled on the back next to the respective connection. i.e. Vid 1 - HDMI, Vid 2 - component.

Using solely the HDMI will also give you digital sound. Get a DVD player with upconversion for 1080i. Mine was like $80.

No TBS HD?

Last edited:
So if I have both component and HDMI plugged in, am I not getting digital sound?

The TV basically has a big “A/B” switch inside......remember those? You select the port you want to use for the signal, and that port is the one that is activated. In selecting one port, the others are disabled. So, you can have composite, component, coax, S-video, and HDMI all hooked up at one time, but only one of them can be active at a time. Having them all hooked up doesn’t interfere or load the others, but only one can be used at a time.

If you use component, then you also have to import sound separately. HDMI on the other hand carries audio as well, but obviously, it is carrying the audio to your TV. This means if you have a separate audio receiver, you have to figure out how to get the audio to the receiver. Most TVs offer an output port for this.

If you use component, then you also have to import sound separately. HDMI on the other hand carries audio as well, but obviously, it is carrying the audio to your TV. This means if you have a separate audio receiver, you have to figure out how to get the audio to the receiver. Most TVs offer an output port for this.

I just keep the volume all the way down on the TV and run seperate Line Outs from whatever component to the receiver.

Back
Top Bottom