He rode the motorcycle on the wall of death.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sandyj

Sous Chef
I have just found out that my grandfather's brother, Edward, rode the motorcycles on the wall of death in the circus. For some reason, this makes me feel happy.

What a neat bit of family history to suddenly stumble across! Does anyone in your family have pictures? That would be so neat!

:) Barbara

Hi, no.... no pictures. I didn't even know about my great Uncle Edward until yesterday. Sad, since he died in 1987 in South Africa - and I was in Africa until 1993. I don't know why I felt so happy about finding out that he did what he did - it was an absurd sort of happiness...like....perhaps because here was one person who seems to have "escaped" all the traditional expectations - surely, I assume, he did this because this was what he wanted to do.

Amen, Sandyj. I had a black sheep great-Uncle Buck (really, that was his name) who went on up to Utah or Wyoming to become a cowboy. My grandmother wouldn't talk about him much, but I bet he was having a pretty good time.

Sandyj
I understand EXACTLY what you mean... Oh to have had a 'free spirit' like him in the family, instead of my boring university lecturers, farmers, doctors and solicitors :)

For the benefit of my American friends, I feel I should point out that solicitors are lawyers, not customers of 'ladies of the night'

Back
Top Bottom