"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Old 10-19-2006, 08:59 AM   #11
Assistant Cook
There is absolutely no doubt that I would not have caught that, but in now having it called to attention and being able to analyze it, there could be a VERY subtle difference between "flavor" (=better, something to be desired, identifiable, etc.) and just "taste" (=water doesn't, salt does, not distinctive). But, probably a stretch. ;o)

Gretchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 09:47 AM   #12
Sous Chef
Originally Posted by Andy M.
Does this non-sensical drivel bother anyone else or should I go somewhere and get a life?
Short answer: yes, makes me goofy too. And no, you shouldn't go elsewhere to get a life -- you've got a fine one already, just a discerning one!

XeniA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 10:00 AM   #13
Sous Chef
Me too, Andy M. I also thought that line was nonsense the first time I heard it, and....I wondered if anyone else noticed it! Must be that noone over at the advertising agency or in the marketing department at Healthy Choice actually cooks or is interested in food?
Sandyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 10:21 AM   #14
Sous Chef
I'm with you guys. I thought that commercial was dumb too!
Fresh Cooking From Your Garden
RMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 10:54 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via Yahoo to middie
The ad wants to cut out salt and fried foods so they use other ingredients in place of salt and broil instead of frying

Then please explain to me why the sodium content is so ridiculously high ?
With all that sodium it can't be all that healthy for ya.
middie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 12:58 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
We mute the commercials here, too. Except for the ones with cute kitties and doggies. Some of their food looks pretty darn good.

As for the Healthy Choice ad, for me, I think the silliness of it all is that it's called "cooking." It's not cooking. It's reheating.

I'm amazed at how few younger folks actually cook, know how or have the desire to do so. It's refreshing to see the number of apparent young 'uns at this site who are truly interested in cooking. Hooray for you.

The one commercial that really fries my clams is Banquet Crock-Pot Classics meals. The lady of the house is told that she can prepare delicious crockpot dishes for her family simply by adding the bag of frozen goodies to her crockpot. Man, oh, man, can that lady cook! Just gets my goat. Just call it crockpot cooking for dummies.
"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Katie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 01:02 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire
oh man, i'm so depressed. i was just gonna post my recipe for crock pot frozen veggies and goat...

umm, katie? kitten and puppy food looks good to you? i need to have a talk with my namesake.
in nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti.
beidh ar la linn.
wisdom is often in short supply within ones' ego.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 01:13 PM   #18
Head Chef
I usually tape all the TV shows that I want to watch and the commercials drive me crazy. Of course if it wasn't for the sponsors there would be no TV shows.

I didn't happen to the see the commercials that you were talking about.

My favorite commercial is the lady in all pink and by her side is a pink poodle.

Jill and Jolie
shpj4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 03:30 PM   #19
Chief Eating Officer
Originally Posted by Goodweed of the North
I tend to analyze things to death, or at least I used to. I was the guy who was upset when Star Wars first came out because the spacecraft roared through space. I said to my wife, after the movie, "That is so inaccurate. How could the spacecraft possible make any noise in the vacuum of space. there is no air to carry the sound waves? The movie was full of nonsence. Parsecs are a measure of distance, not time." etc. etc.
What drives me crazy Goodweed, is how in all shows and movies in space, the space ships are always flying on the same plane. That drives me crazy.

OK back on topic...maybe by taste they were doing a play on words. Maybe they were not talking about taste as in flavor, but taste as in you have good taste in cloths or something. OK I know that is a real stretch and I am sure that is not what they really were after. Yes their commercial is pretty darn stupid.
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 12:46 PM   #20
Sous Chef
Saw the commercial again last night and thought of all of you!

Fresh Cooking From Your Garden
RMS is offline   Reply With Quote