"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-18-2006, 10:11 PM   #1
Certified Pretend Chef

Angry Healthy Choice TV Ad

There is an ad for Healthy Choice on TV that shows two chefs in a kitchen cooking. He's wearing black and she's wearing white.

They're talking about how they've developed new methods that are better for you. The list marinades, seasonings and slow cooking.

Then they say, "By doing this, we're adding flavor to taste." What the heck does that mean!!!

Have we been cooking with flavorless taste all these years? ...or is that tasteless flavor?

Does this non-sensical drivel bother anyone else or should I go somewhere and get a life?

Old 10-18-2006, 10:53 PM   #2
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
There is an ad for Healthy Choice on TV that shows two chefs in a kitchen cooking. He's wearing black and she's wearing white.

They're talking about how they've developed new methods that are better for you. The list marinades, seasonings and slow cooking.

Then they say, "By doing this, we're adding flavor to taste." What the heck does that mean!!!

Have we been cooking with flavorless taste all these years? ...or is that tasteless flavor?

Does this non-sensical drivel bother anyone else or should I go somewhere and get a life?
It sounds like a B western with food as the motif. I am assuming the white garbed chef is adding the flavor? Seriously, though, this type of meaningless verbiage makes me nauseated, as well. At least say something I can agree or disagree with, not some nonsense statement that I can't even argue with, since there's no point with which to grapple.

Old 10-19-2006, 01:01 AM   #3
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
I've had similar thoughts when I've seen that commercial, Andy. Who writes that stuff? They can't know anything about eating!
Old 10-19-2006, 06:06 AM   #4
Executive Chef

It's commercials like that that have caused the batteries on the remote to wear out faster than normal. We tend to simply mute commercials around here, or flip to one of the all music channels for a couple of minutes.
Old 10-19-2006, 08:06 AM   #5
Executive Chef

Sadly, tv advertising has corrupt the minds of many home viewers (sigh)
Old 10-19-2006, 08:07 AM   #6
Master Chef

I tend to analyze things to death, or at least I used to. I was the guy who was upset when Star Wars first came out because the spacecraft roared through space. I said to my wife, after the movie, "That is so inaccurate. How could the spacecraft possible make any noise in the vacuum of space. there is no air to carry the sound waves? The movie was full of nonsence. Parsecs are a measure of distance, not time." etc. etc.

Somewhere in the passage of time, I realized that I could ignore the stupidity of Hollywood, including all of the stupid comercials on the little box (they don't call it a boob tube for nothing ) and just enjoy the movies or shows that I watch for simply entertainment value. I know that advertizers are all willing to bend the truth to sell their product, and that often times, they expect that we are all stupid. I would go as far as to state that they give as little real information as possible so asa to confuse the general public into thinking they have something worth purchasing. And though I have caught myself in the occasional mistruth, I try very hard to be truthful. I personally ignore almost all commercials as I believe teh people who write them are a disgrace to the companies and priducts that they try so absurdly to represent.

Sadly, there are those who are sucked into the lies, and the misrepresentations, only to be dissapoointed at best, or to have purchsased something that will degrade their lifestyle or health at worst.

Simply put, it my personal opinion that advertizers are scam artists. I hope that I have not offended anyone with my opinion. And to be sure, just as there are honorable and good lawyers, there are honorable and good advertizers. I just haven't seen many of them, at least few that present themselves to the public.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 09:29 AM   #7
Head Chef

The ad wants to cut out salt and fried foods so they use other ingredients in place of salt and broil instead of frying. At least this is what I got from the commercial.
Old 10-19-2006, 09:40 AM   #8
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpershere2
The ad wants to cut out salt and fried foods so they use other ingredients in place of salt and broil instead of frying. At least this is what I got from the commercial.

I wasn't confused about the mesage, just commenting on the stupid script.
Old 10-19-2006, 09:44 AM   #9
Head Chef

So sorry Andy I guess i misunderstood you.
Old 10-19-2006, 09:56 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodweed of the North
I said to my wife, after the movie, "That is so inaccurate. How could the spacecraft possible make any noise in the vacuum of space. there is no air to carry the sound waves?
how can there be no air in space? isn't there an "air -n- space museum" in washington, dc?

andy, i haven't seen that commercial yet. will have to have the remote ready, as vb said, it seems.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote