"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-31-2014, 10:28 AM   #11
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
That confirms my decision not to be involved with Facebook. If they can afford to give away $120 million they must be making it somewhere, which sort of bears out the suggestions that have been made about Facebook selling "members" details to the highest bidder, among other rumours about their activities! (No names, no pack-drill.)
Every large internet company sells your personal details, from the email service that you use to the ISP that provides your connection. It is nearly impossible to completely opt out.

Even if you didn't use the internet, information about you would be out there.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 11:42 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
Every large internet company sells your personal details, from the email service that you use to the ISP that provides your connection. It is nearly impossible to completely opt out.

Even if you didn't use the internet, information about you would be out there.
Absolutely true. Here are just a couple of examples:

Fascinating reading.

Old 05-31-2014, 11:55 AM   #13
Head Chef

There's also tracking by using your cell phone/smartphone.

Cell Phone Spying: Is Your Life Being Monitored? | Geeks are Sexy Technology News

But I'm sure none of us have any real worries about this. Just FYI.
Old 05-31-2014, 12:23 PM   #14
Master Chef

It isn't just cell phones.

Our local mega mall is testing a license plate scanner, similar to the ones used by law enforcement, to collect demographic information on shoppers.

It ain't right I tell ya, it just ain't right!

License plate reader now in use at Destiny USA: Your Stories - LocalSYR.com powered by NewsChannel 9 WSYR Syracuse
Old 05-31-2014, 06:26 PM   #15
Master Chef

I love Facebook. Just sayin ...

There is no privacy on the internet. You just have to accept that. That's why it surprises me when people provide their real names and birthdays, etc. so readily . And post pictures of their children.

I also have one sort of low limit credit card I use to make purchases, although that's less of a worry , I guess.
Old 05-31-2014, 06:46 PM   #16
Certified Pretend Chef

Regardless of his net worth, he gave away $120 million dollars!!!! That's a significant gift to help the children of California. People buy lottery tickets in hopes of winning less than that.

I take my hat off to Gates and Buffet and all the superwealthy who pledged half their net worth to charity. Regardless of how they earned it, this is a voluntary act to help their fellow man.
Old 05-31-2014, 08:22 PM   #17
Head Chef

[QUOTE=jennyema;1366625]
There is no privacy on the internet. You just have to accept that. That's why it surprises me when people provide their real names and birthdays, etc. so readily . And post pictures of their children./QUOTE]

I agree totally! I hope that people will learn (hopefully before something happens) to hide their identity better but so much of FB is from younger people and they haven't had enough life experience yet to protect themselves.

I haven't looked into whether or not DC gives us privacy or not. I think that most forums are very astute when protecting the mother ship----but may not be so with the members. Again----NOT saying that's how DC operates. Speaking of which----- does anyone really KNOW how they do?

Here is the link to Social Knowledge LLC's privacy contract:
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...k&page=privacy

(Oh, and I found out that Social Knowledge also has a Royals Forum. For those that like to know what shoes a princess is wearing today! I just learned:
"Pembroke Castle is the only castle in Britain to be built over a natural cavern, a large cave known as the Wogan.
Pembroke Castle is the birthplace of Henry Tudor, the future King Henry VII.")

Pembroke Castle - The Royal Forums

BTW I belonged to a forum once where private messages weren't all that private! I'm not saying that's the case here----- oh, no! I've never had the slightest doubt that our messages here aren't private.
Old 05-31-2014, 08:23 PM   #18
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy m. View Post
regardless of his net worth, he gave away $120 million dollars!!!! that's a significant gift to help the children of california. People buy lottery tickets in hopes of winning less than that.

I take my hat off to gates and buffet and all the superwealthy who pledged half their net worth to charity. Regardless of how they earned it, this is a voluntary act to help their fellow man.
yeppers!
Old 05-31-2014, 09:25 PM   #19
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

If you want privacy, turn your computer off, lock the doors and close the curtains.
Old 06-01-2014, 01:31 AM   #20
Master Chef

Exactly!