Heartening news today about Zuckerberg

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cave76

Washing Up
"Facebook founder and CEO Mark Zuckerberg and his wife, Dr. Priscilla Chan, are pledging to give $120 million to support San Francisco Bay Area schools."

"[...]is one of the youngest members of The Giving Pledge, which is a promise to give at least half his net worth to charity."

Although I personally don't like Facebook---- there's no doubt that a lot of Zuckerberg's money is going to the right places.

Mark Zuckerberg and Wife to Give $120 Million to California Schools - Nation - Boston.com

I am impressed by this wonderful gesture; however, if 120 million is half of your wealth (and you are continuing to make money by the second), is it really that much of a sacrifice?

Sorry to be so negative.

Yes. That does sound rather negative.

Zuckerberg is worth more than $10 billion, so $120 million is not anywhere near half his fortune. He has pledged to give more than half of his fortune to charity, but not all at once.

In 2012, Zuckerberg and his wife donated almost $500 million to the Silicon Valley Community Foundation, which makes grants to low-income families to prevent foreclosures, to teacher training programs, to after-school and summer math training programs, and to aid for immigrants, like English instruction and legal services. The foundation also helps build affordable housing and supports services for the homeless like shelters and food banks.

Then there is Warren Buffet, who has pledged donate 99% of his $46 billion net worth to charity. And Bill Gates, who has also donated billions.

I admire people like that. To put it another way, these guys could simply choose to be like most multimillionaires and instead hide their wealth in offshore accounts.

Last edited:
I applaud the gesture. You may feel the ultra-wealthy are morally obligated to donate to charities, as do I. However, they don't have to. $120 million is a nice chunk of change. Maybe it will start a trend.

If someone offered me a million dollars I wouldn't ask "why not more, since you have so much more"?

I'd take the money and run.:LOL:

"Facebook founder and CEO Mark Zuckerberg and his wife, Dr. Priscilla Chan, are pledging to give $120 million to support San Francisco Bay Area schools."

"[...]is one of the youngest members of The Giving Pledge, which is a promise to give at least half his net worth to charity."

Although I personally don't like Facebook---- there's no doubt that a lot of Zuckerberg's money is going to the right places.

Mark Zuckerberg and Wife to Give $120 Million to California Schools - Nation - Boston.com
That confirms my decision not to be involved with Facebook. If they can afford to give away $120 million they must be making it somewhere, which sort of bears out the suggestions that have been made about Facebook selling "members" details to the highest bidder, among other rumours about their activities! (No names, no pack-drill.)

Yes. That does sound rather negative.

Zuckerberg is worth more than $10 billion, so $120 million is not anywhere near half his fortune. He has pledged to give more than half of his fortune to charity, but not all at once.

In 2012, Zuckerberg and his wife donated almost $500 million to the Silicon Valley Community Foundation, which makes grants to low-income families to prevent foreclosures, to teacher training programs, to after-school and summer math training programs, and to aid for immigrants, like English instruction and legal services. The foundation also helps build affordable housing and supports services for the homeless like shelters and food banks.

Then there is Warren Buffet, who has pledged donate 99% of his $46 billion net worth to charity. And Bill Gates, who has also donated billions.

I admire people like that. To put it another way, these guys could simply choose to be like most multimillionaires and instead hide their wealth in offshore accounts.
Very nice of them all. However, if you have squillions of £s or $s you have a duty to do good works and they do get a very comfortable tax break on charitable donations.

What happened to "Do good by stealth and blush to find it fame"?

I'm not sure that the high rollers have a 'duty' to do good works. But I do believe that the tax breaks received are considered. :cool:

When I read these things I always think of Blanche DuBois in the Tennessee Williams play "A Streetcar Named Desire", her famous line was: "I've always depended on the kindness of strangers."

I think it's an extremely sad state of affairs when this country has to depend on "the kindness of strangers" to provide for its basic needs. We as a nation need to rethink our priorities, it's time to wake up America!

Now back to the kitchen! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

That confirms my decision not to be involved with Facebook. If they can afford to give away $120 million they must be making it somewhere, which sort of bears out the suggestions that have been made about Facebook selling "members" details to the highest bidder, among other rumours about their activities! (No names, no pack-drill.)

Every large internet company sells your personal details, from the email service that you use to the ISP that provides your connection. It is nearly impossible to completely opt out.

Even if you didn't use the internet, information about you would be out there.

Every large internet company sells your personal details, from the email service that you use to the ISP that provides your connection. It is nearly impossible to completely opt out.

Even if you didn't use the internet, information about you would be out there.

Absolutely true. Here are just a couple of examples:

Fascinating reading.

Last edited:
I love Facebook. Just sayin ...

There is no privacy on the internet. You just have to accept that. That's why it surprises me when people provide their real names and birthdays, etc. so readily . And post pictures of their children.

I also have one sort of low limit credit card I use to make purchases, although that's less of a worry , I guess.

Regardless of his net worth, he gave away $120 million dollars!!!! That's a significant gift to help the children of California. People buy lottery tickets in hopes of winning less than that.

I take my hat off to Gates and Buffet and all the superwealthy who pledged half their net worth to charity. Regardless of how they earned it, this is a voluntary act to help their fellow man.

There is no privacy on the internet. You just have to accept that. That's why it surprises me when people provide their real names and birthdays, etc. so readily . And post pictures of their children./QUOTE]

I agree totally! I hope that people will learn (hopefully before something happens) to hide their identity better but so much of FB is from younger people and they haven't had enough life experience yet to protect themselves.

I haven't looked into whether or not DC gives us privacy or not. I think that most forums are very astute when protecting the mother ship----but may not be so with the members. Again----NOT saying that's how DC operates. Speaking of which----- does anyone really KNOW how they do?

Here is the link to Social Knowledge LLC's privacy contract:
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/misc.php?do=sknetwork&page=privacy

(Oh, and I found out that Social Knowledge also has a Royals Forum. :) For those that like to know what shoes a princess is wearing today! I just learned:
"Pembroke Castle is the only castle in Britain to be built over a natural cavern, a large cave known as the Wogan.
Pembroke Castle is the birthplace of Henry Tudor, the future King Henry VII.")

Pembroke Castle - The Royal Forums

BTW I belonged to a forum once where private messages weren't all that private! I'm not saying that's the case here----- oh, no! I've never had the slightest doubt that our messages here aren't private.

regardless of his net worth, he gave away $120 million dollars!!!! that's a significant gift to help the children of california. People buy lottery tickets in hopes of winning less than that.

I take my hat off to gates and buffet and all the superwealthy who pledged half their net worth to charity. Regardless of how they earned it, this is a voluntary act to help their fellow man.

yeppers!

Back
Top Bottom