Heartwarming Moments

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LPBeier

Certified Cake Maniac
Moderator Emeritus
I haven't started a new thread in a long time and this came into my head this morning. I know we have "the last thing that made you smile", but this goes a bit deeper.

With all the negativity and drama in my life the last while, I am finally able to see some of the good things going on around me, however big or small. I know we all have these and I thought it nice to share.

I had another rough night last night and woke up on the couch at 5:30 when TB got up to get ready for work. He told me to go to bed and even had heated my blanket for me and straightened the sheets so they wouldn't "hurt" (part of my fibromyalgia). He is such a sweetie.

Anyway, I did get to sleep and when I woke up, there were Violet and monkey lying side by side, right next to me. They both looked up at me like they were saying "Mommy we wanted to keep you safe and warm". Monkey came up and rubbed up against my face and Violet licked my hand. I felt instantly better!

How about you, what makes your heart glow warm and bright?

Glenn...always.

But, nearly everyday, we let Bella inside the main house. Normally she lives with Sally in my big studio across the breezeway from the main house.

At any rate, the first thing Bella does is to make a beeline for Glenn, then she, with shameless abandon, rubs her head and, sometimes, her whole body on his boots and around his ankles. Rub, rub, rub. Rub, rub, rub. All the while she's doing this, she has this dreamy, love-like look in her eyes as if to say, "Daddy, I looooove you with all my heart!"

It's so sweet and beautiful and it's clear she loves him with every fiber of her being and totally unconditionally.

Needless to say...he melts every time, as do I.

Last edited:

Any specific moments or things? Or just absolutely everything about him.

I have to put TB in that category. We had our moments in the first years of our marriage and a lot of it had to do with me - my health didn't make me the nicest person to be around and he would react to it because he felt rejected (I am being super open and honest here). But in the last while I have dealt with a lot of physical and emotional things and he is reacting to this. Everything about him, everything he does, says, is, makes me love him more and more.

Any specific moments or things? Or just absolutely everything about him.

I have to put TB in that category. We had our moments in the first years of our marriage and a lot of it had to do with me - my health didn't make me the nicest person to be around and he would react to it because he felt rejected (I am being super open and honest here). But in the last while I have dealt with a lot of physical and emotional things and he is reacting to this. Everything about him, everything he does, says, is, makes me love him more and more.

Of course not everything, he drives quite mad at times. But, my heart still goes "pitter-pat" when I see him.

When Jr was just about 13, the two of us were at the lake on a summer extended vacation. About 2 weeks in, he was bored and wanted to go Mountain Camping. My first thought was all the mountains are farther away than we can drive to/ from . On 2nd thought, Northern Michigan is pretty close. Did a quick pack up tent and sleeping bags and a quick call to Mom who was working and not on vacation, took off for some northern MI state park.

The Chief might know where we were, since I no longer remember exactly. The nearest small town sold Pasties, a side line treat we discovered.

What was fun, we were hiking along some designated park trails. Out of the blue Jr suddenly decided he wanted to hold hands. At his age, he was already a head taller than me, and since we were close to a camping area, we met several people along the trail. We got weird looks at least several times. Not sure in what way they thought we were weird, just the looks and you know they were looking back over their shoulder at us. Isn't that kid too old to be hand-holding, is this some kind of pedo, who is that gray haired guy with that kid. Hiking became more of a slow stroll and if we repeated today, it would probably be arm and arm. It was a classic father/son time that in fact we and especially Jr initiated and a closeness that can not be repeated. I think, if I recall, I still owe him a thousand million $$ after I taught him to play cribbage when we were holed up in our tent on rainy days.

Oh my! My days are filled with these heartwarming moments!

I love the evenings of putting DA to bed. I brush out her hair as we sit on her bed and talk, then I curl up with her and rub her back until she falls asleep. Then I sneak very gently away and go to my Bilge (lair, ha!) and there are my dear pets.

When I awake in the mornings, I curl up with her again and rub her back until she becomes awake.

Then when I arrive to school, sometimes Carl and Laki are there to greet me. I think I understand the patter-pit of my heart when Ogress is with her Shrek and Katie is with her Glenn when I see Carl. He hugs me so nicely! And I'm always happy to see Laki!

When I am outside and I look at the beautiful mountains, I am reminded of how much beauty there is all around us. All we have to do is look for it, and embrace it, yes?

Life is so good!!

With love,
~Cat

When Jr was just about 13, the two of us were at the lake on a summer extended vacation. About 2 weeks in, he was bored and wanted to go Mountain Camping. My first thought was all the mountains are farther away than we can drive to/ from . On 2nd thought, Northern Michigan is pretty close. Did a quick pack up tent and sleeping bags and a quick call to Mom who was working and not on vacation, took off for some northern MI state park.

The Chief might know where we were, since I no longer remember exactly. The nearest small town sold Pasties, a side line treat we discovered.

What was fun, we were hiking along some designated park trails. Out of the blue Jr suddenly decided he wanted to hold hands. At his age, he was already a head taller than me, and since we were close to a camping area, we met several people along the trail. We got weird looks at least several times. Not sure in what way they thought we were weird, just the looks and you know they were looking back over their shoulder at us. Isn't that kid too old to be hand-holding, is this some kind of pedo, who is that gray haired guy with that kid. Hiking became more of a slow stroll and if we repeated today, it would probably be arm and arm. It was a classic father/son time that in fact we and especially Jr initiated and a closeness that can not be repeated. I think, if I recall, I still owe him a thousand million $$ after I taught him to play cribbage when we were holed up in our tent on rainy days.
Wow, Whisk, that is awesome. I'm sure it warmed your heart and is quite a fond memory.

My grandfather taught me to play crib. He taught me all the ins and outs of the game and I became pretty good. in fact, there is only one person I never beat ... my grandfather. He lived with my parents and when they went on vacation I stayed with him because he wasn't well. I did all I could for him, calling the doctor, etc., (they made house calls in those days). That night we were playing crib and I lost 5 straight. I said "I can never beat you". He replied with his smile "and you never will". We went to bed and I heard him coughing and calling my name. I called the ambulance and they needed my permission to put on a pacemaker (I turned 21 two days before) but he passed away in surgery. whenever imply crib I remember him and how sick as he was, he was still able to pretend gloat over the fact I never beat him.

This reminds me of going to Bangor (North Wales) for my college interview in 1968. Dad took me, with me in my best apricot suit and high heels and we went to a restaurant for lunch afterwards. We were chatting and eating and having a good time, including a glass of wine for me, when we became aware that we were getting some very disapproving looks from the waitresses and there was much muttering going on. Very odd we thought - and then it clicked. They obviously thought it was a boss up to no good with a young secretary!

Last edited:
Poo was about five years old. He would take his bath every night around 6:30. One night I was running late and told him he didn't have to take a bath that night. He started to cry. "I want to take my bath. I like it when you read to me." I used to read to him every time he was in the tub.

I was always afraid to leave my kids in the tub alone when they were small and Poo was no different. So the only way I could convince him to let me stay in there with him was to read one of his books to him. It became our private time. To this day he will tell you that his mother taught him to read and do math when he was very young.

Last year when I was at his home, he was telling his wife about reading to him. He then turned to me and said, "Thanks Ma for our time" I almost cried. I never realized just how important it was to him. :angel:

This reminds me of going to Bangor (North Wales) for my college interview in 1968. Dad took me, with me in my best apricot suit and high heels and we went to a restaurant for lunch afterwards. We were chatting and eating and having a good time, including a glass of wine for me, when we became aware that we were getting some very disapproving looks from the waitresses and there was much muttering going on. Very odd we thought - and then it clicked. They obviously thought it was a boss up to no good with a young secretary!

People think Shrek is my Dad. We have too much fun with that assumption.

I'm alive, Ogress, so my life is filled with these also. I may not have lived.

I think I understand you.

With love,
~Cat

I'm alive, Ogress, so my life is filled with these also. I may not have lived.

I think I understand you.

With love,
~Cat

I like having my days full of such things. And you just gave me another.

Thank you!

What? What did I do?

Oh well thank you too, Ogress. Thank you for being here!

With love,
~Cat

My greatest moments are with TB and my fur-kids, Violet and Monkey. Tonight we sat and watched the recorded versions of the Oscars and The Amazing Race together, with Monkey on my lap and Violet curled up on the couch with TB. It is the simple pleasures that seem to have the biggest impact on the heart strings. :wub:

I also have had a few memorable moments with people here. A profile note of encouragement from a dear friend. Laughing with PF and Dawg over the Oscars, getting interested in guns for the first time thanks to Pac's posts and photos (I still never want to see one up close, but how he works on them is really interesting).

Cat, you are very special and your posts are heartwarming.

You are so very special, and when I saw the improvements of your health, I was so very happy!

I'm so blessed! When I found out I was thrown away from that day to now, when I wake up I know my life is a gift. Life is so wonderful!

I have so very many heartwarming moments every day. Aside of which I already posted, there are more and more.

My precious cats sleep on my bed with me and Misty lies on my butt and purrs and purrs while Kali lies on my upper arm and purrs and purrs. Azia snuggles up close to my other side and I feel her soft breathing.

That is how we sleep at night, and it is so wonderful!

And the sound of Mamma and Papa's voices on the phone is also heaven! DA's laughter is so wonderful, and good food and talking is also heartwarming!

With love,
~Cat

Back
Top Bottom