"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-31-2008, 11:33 AM   #21
Chief Eating Officer

Yep we already have that going for us Jeekinz.

Old 07-31-2008, 11:36 AM   #22
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeekinz View Post
Programable thermostats will save you a bundle too.

what's that?

I am new to thermostats. To please our insurance company, we had to install a heat pump that came with a thermostat. Ins. company was going to drop us because our primary heat source is wood heat.

Old 07-31-2008, 11:39 AM   #23
Everymom

GB, so if I calculate correctly you get roughly 6 deliveries a year? Costing you $4800 at the current rate. Is that close? So you are paying roughly double what I am for heat. Now I can say...HOLY CRAP!!! I had to get a perspective first to understand how expensive that was. YIKES!
Old 07-31-2008, 11:41 AM   #24
Chief Eating Officer

Yeah that sounds about right Alix.
Old 07-31-2008, 11:43 AM   #25
Executive Chef

You can set when you want the heat to come on and turn off...and what temp.

So my weekday settings are as follows: Mon-Fri- 530am 70deg; 730am 55deg; 400pm 70deg; 1000pm 60 deg.

So I'm not heating the house when we're sleeping or at work. It comes on a little before we wake up and a little before we get home from work.

There is a debate on wether you let the house cool off too much and you will use more fuel to heat it back up. But I found my house, since all the duct sealing, heats up fairly quickly from 55 or 60 degrees.

We use the fireplace constantly too. It doesn't heat the whole house or anything, but by the time we go upstairs to bed the heat has risen enough to warm the upstairs.

I keep my hot water heater on a low setting as well. Why should I pay to heat water for a shower just to cool it off with the cold water? The dishwasher has a built in heater and we don't wash our clothes with hot water.

The thermostats can be purchased at any home center for $40-80, give or take. Most of the newer ones come with a preprogramed schedule that is supposed to be the most economical.
Old 07-31-2008, 11:46 AM   #26
Everymom

We have a programmable thermostat too, its all in Fahrenheit though so it makes my brain hurt to program it. LOL. Thankfully its all done now and I don't have to calculate any more.
Old 07-31-2008, 11:47 AM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethzaring
I assume we save a great deal of money by heating with wood over having to pay for oil or electricity, but it is not free.
Dat's a fact!!! It's like my SIL talking about how lucky I am to have "all those free vegetables" Yeah right...come spend a few days wit me!!!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 11:50 AM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Call me anytime Alix - LOL Oh wait, I'd have to know celcius - never mind!

Watch out for those programmable thermostats. It's always better to leave it on the same temp versus up and down during the day/night.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 11:54 AM   #29
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeekinz View Post
You can set when you want the heat to come on and turn off...and what temp.

So my weekday settings are as follows: Mon-Fri- 530am 70deg; 730am 55deg; 400pm 70deg; 1000pm 60 deg.

So I'm not heating the house when we're sleeping or at work. It comes on a little before we wake up and a little before we get home from work.

There is a debate on wether you let the house cool off too much and you will use more fuel to heat it back up. But I found my house, since all the duct sealing, heats up fairly quickly from 55 or 60 degrees.

We use the fireplace constantly too. It doesn't heat the whole house or anything, but by the time we go upstairs to bed the heat has risen enough to warm the upstairs.

I keep my hot water heater on a low setting as well. Why should I pay to heat water for a shower just to cool it off with the cold water? The dishwasher has a built in heater and we don't wash our clothes with hot water.

The thermostats can be purchased at any home center for $40-80, give or take. Most of the newer ones come with a preprogramed schedule that is supposed to be the most economical.

We have an on demand hot water heater system, the kind that goes on the wall. We also have a built in water heater in the dishwasher.
Old 07-31-2008, 11:57 AM   #30
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyCook61 View Post
We have an on demand hot water heater system, the kind that goes on the wall. We also have a built in water heater in the dishwasher.
Those tankless water heaters are great. They originated in Europe. When my hot water heater goes out, I'll be replacing it with one of those. I read a couple years ago they were coming out with a microwave version, which would even cost less to operate.