Heating Oil Prices

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've got a 3000 sq foot house built in 1887 with lots of drafts. I try to seal things up real well and keep the thermometer at 55-60 during the winter.

I have tankless hot water that runs off the oil buring furnace, so I use oil all year.

My budget plan last year was $260/month. This year it's $415/month!!! :mad::(:cry:

I see space heaters in my future.

I just got my NG bill yesterday. It was $42. I was locked in at $1.09 per therm but my contract is now expired and they want to know if I want to lock in at $1.70 per therm for another 6 to 12 months. I don't use much NG in the summertime, cooking and hot water is about it but I do in the wintertime. I don't know what to do...I would hate to lock in when gas prices are starting to drop a bit. Anyone have any thoughts on when I should lock in?

You can set when you want the heat to come on and turn off...and what temp.

The thermostats can be purchased at any home center for $40-80, give or take. Most of the newer ones come with a preprogramed schedule that is supposed to be the most economical.

What was I thinking?:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

um....

we don't exactly have "automatic" heat:blush:

But thanks anyway!:)

I think you are missing her humor Jeekinz. A thermostat won't do much good on her wood burning stove.

We heat entirely with wood, and it is not free. We pay real estate taxes on our 50 acre woodlot, which BTW is way more than we need, I think 2 acres would be plenty. Our house is superinsulated and requires little in the way of a heat source. We maintain two large chainsaws which run on oil and gas. But the biggest expense is the time it takes dh to fell, cut and haul the wood with a tractor. This is time he can not draw any salary. I assume we save a great deal of money by heating with wood over having to pay for oil or electricity, but it is not free.

Hey, Jeekins!

WOW, that's huge!

My jaw bounced off the floor a couple weeks ago when I got a $257 electric bill for my little condo. It's a lot warmer in here these days.

I can't imagine what the heating season will bring.

my electric bill for a two bedroom mobile home was 190.00 for a month.

out of sight, then comes winter and the gas goes sky high. i try to be Conservative with it,but there u are.

babe:)

Wow.
When I had my 1st apt.... 15 years ago or so, I think my electric bill was $30 tops!

Heat and water were all paid so that was still just straight up electric... but it's basically the same in the house we're in now...
we use oil / propane for all major appliances but the water heater, which is a storage system ginormous thing, (dont take a shower in the evening after a heavy laundry / bathtub day) and of course washer and dishwasher... but we are still at 250 a month!
I think the next energy sucker to go is DH's reef aquarium, as much as I hate to see it go, thats alot of lights and pumps to be running constantly.
Better that than my curling iron....

We have natural gas heating, but it has gone up steadily as well. Our electric bill just hit $250 for the month, all due to the AC (OK maybe the computers and TV contributed to that as well). I have the house sealed up and weather proofed pretty good as we are still running around $100 cheaper per month than our neighbors with central air. And our heating bill is still much lower as well.
Still, this winter is gonna hurt something serious...

After reading all these posts, I guess I need to quit complaining. Our house is about 1300 square feet. This month the natural gas bill was $42 and the electric was $142. We have central air and we keep it pretty cool in the house so I guess I shouldn't be whinning about my gas bill going up 60 cents per therm. :ermm:

Back
Top Bottom