Heating Oil Prices

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
GB, so if I calculate correctly you get roughly 6 deliveries a year? Costing you $4800 at the current rate. Is that close? So you are paying roughly double what I am for heat. Now I can say...HOLY CRAP!!! I had to get a perspective first to understand how expensive that was. YIKES!

You can set when you want the heat to come on and turn off...and what temp.

So my weekday settings are as follows: Mon-Fri- 530am 70deg; 730am 55deg; 400pm 70deg; 1000pm 60 deg.

So I'm not heating the house when we're sleeping or at work. It comes on a little before we wake up and a little before we get home from work.

There is a debate on wether you let the house cool off too much and you will use more fuel to heat it back up. But I found my house, since all the duct sealing, heats up fairly quickly from 55 or 60 degrees.

We use the fireplace constantly too. It doesn't heat the whole house or anything, but by the time we go upstairs to bed the heat has risen enough to warm the upstairs.

I keep my hot water heater on a low setting as well. Why should I pay to heat water for a shower just to cool it off with the cold water? The dishwasher has a built in heater and we don't wash our clothes with hot water.

The thermostats can be purchased at any home center for $40-80, give or take. Most of the newer ones come with a preprogramed schedule that is supposed to be the most economical.

We have a programmable thermostat too, its all in Fahrenheit though so it makes my brain hurt to program it. LOL. Thankfully its all done now and I don't have to calculate any more.

Bethzaring said:
I assume we save a great deal of money by heating with wood over having to pay for oil or electricity, but it is not free.

Dat's a fact!!! It's like my SIL talking about how lucky I am to have "all those free vegetables" :ermm: Yeah right...come spend a few days wit me!!!

Call me anytime Alix - LOL Oh wait, I'd have to know celcius - never mind!

Watch out for those programmable thermostats. It's always better to leave it on the same temp versus up and down during the day/night.

You can set when you want the heat to come on and turn off...and what temp.

So my weekday settings are as follows: Mon-Fri- 530am 70deg; 730am 55deg; 400pm 70deg; 1000pm 60 deg.

So I'm not heating the house when we're sleeping or at work. It comes on a little before we wake up and a little before we get home from work.

There is a debate on wether you let the house cool off too much and you will use more fuel to heat it back up. But I found my house, since all the duct sealing, heats up fairly quickly from 55 or 60 degrees.

We use the fireplace constantly too. It doesn't heat the whole house or anything, but by the time we go upstairs to bed the heat has risen enough to warm the upstairs.

I keep my hot water heater on a low setting as well. Why should I pay to heat water for a shower just to cool it off with the cold water? The dishwasher has a built in heater and we don't wash our clothes with hot water.

The thermostats can be purchased at any home center for $40-80, give or take. Most of the newer ones come with a preprogramed schedule that is supposed to be the most economical.

We have an on demand hot water heater system, the kind that goes on the wall. We also have a built in water heater in the dishwasher.

We have an on demand hot water heater system, the kind that goes on the wall. We also have a built in water heater in the dishwasher.

Those tankless water heaters are great. They originated in Europe. When my hot water heater goes out, I'll be replacing it with one of those. I read a couple years ago they were coming out with a microwave version, which would even cost less to operate.

All new dishwashers now heat the water when it gets to the DW. The problem is, that it's a very expensive way to heat water. You are using electricity rather than natural gas or oil to heat the water.

The water temp in the DW has to be anywhere from 160 F to 190 F depending on the cycle you select. Your water heater should be set to no more than 120 F. So the DW has to bring the temperature from whatever goes into the DW to what it needs.

If you put cold water in, it will take more electricity to get it to 160 F.

The water temp in the DW has to be anywhere from 160 F to 190 F depending on the cycle you select. Your water heater should be set to no more than 120 F. So the DW has to bring the temperature from whatever goes into the DW to what it needs.

I don't make my wife heat hot water.

All new dishwashers now heat the water when it gets to the DW. The problem is, that it's a very expensive way to heat water. You are using electricity rather than natural gas or oil to heat the water.

We always run the kitchen faucet first to bring up the hot water, or we will run it right after doing the hand wash items. The dishwasher uses very little water so I would think it would be more efficient for the dishwasher to heat the water rather than keeping a hot water tank heated to 160 24/7.

We have two oil burners. One for the main house and another for the family room/office. We keep the family room turned off for the winter (except holidays!) For the rest of the house, we installed a propane fireplace that heats the kitchen and den. We close the doors to the living room and dining room and turn the furnace way way down. The upstairs is cool but we bought a heated blanket to warm it up before bed. We don't have children that live with us so it's easy to keep cool. We are both gone all day but the propane heat does it's job quickly when we get home. I thought I was going to hate not being toasty warm but now during the hot days of summer I find I can't stand being hot. The oil tank still needs to be filled and it always shocks us.

...I would think it would be more efficient for the dishwasher to heat the water rather than keeping a hot water tank heated to 160 24/7.

If you don't keep a water heater going all the time, which is the usual way of doing things, then you are correct. If you keep a water heater going for showers, hand washing and other needs, it's the cheapest way of heatng water.

GB, sell your house and move here! For what you could get for it in the northeast, you would get a new 2400 sq ft home in Ozaukee County, which Forbes just named the #2 place in the country to raise kids. You'd have a babysitter (me!) and you can give up oil heat.

(I hear my sister yelling at you to ignore me from 6 states away.)

Seriously, tho, not having the pool this summer has saved us literally thousands of dollars. What a waste! Our last gas bill was 43 bucks. Our electric and water come together, and that was something like $60.

GB, sell your house and move here! For what you could get for it in the northeast, you would get a new 2400 sq ft home in Ozaukee County, which Forbes just named the #2 place in the country to raise kids. You'd have a babysitter (me!) and you can give up oil heat.

(I hear my sister yelling at you to ignore me from 6 states away.)

Seriously, tho, not having the pool this summer has saved us literally thousands of dollars. What a waste! Our last gas bill was 43 bucks. Our electric and water come together, and that was something like $60.

we moved out of NJ because of high property taxes. Perhaps your area is less expensive.

I still love our pool though and am not ready to give of up. Especially after this year. We have had a great time in it this summer. Osh even took two full naps in there (in my arms of course).

While Darls family is still around we will have to stay local. At some point we will move someplace warm warm warm.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom