"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-30-2016, 01:34 AM   #31
Master Chef

Sheesh, Rick and I are just playing Addie.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 08:44 AM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

Both ketchup and yellow mustard belong on *my* hot dog And mustard, ketchup and dill pickles on my burgers. That's just how I likes it :woot:

Old 06-30-2016, 09:38 AM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Heinz vs. French's ketchup

No ketchup on my dog, yellow mustard and sweet relish only! Ketchup is for burgers.
Old 06-30-2016, 10:50 AM   #34
Head Chef

There are so many ways to adorn a hot dog. There are typical regional preparations, some that are a bit odd to me, but normal to others. I don't like a dog with stuff piled too high, because it can no longer be eaten in the hand as a sandwich. For me it ceases being a hot dog if it has to be eaten with fork and knife.

I can take a bit more of a pile on a burger because the shape of the bun allows one a little more latitude.
Old 06-30-2016, 11:16 AM   #35
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
No ketchup on my dog, yellow mustard and sweet relish only! Ketchup is for burgers.
You're my kind of girl, at least for the hot dog. Ever tried YM and SR on a burger? It's PDG too. Craig always leaves a couple of burgers without cheese for me so I can have them that way. Unless we're doing blue cheese burgers and mushies, that's pretty much the only way I eat them fresh off the grill.
Old 06-30-2016, 11:25 AM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by medtran49 View Post
You're my kind of girl, at least for the hot dog. Ever tried YM and SR on a burger? It's PDG too. Craig always leaves a couple of burgers without cheese for me so I can have them that way. Unless we're doing blue cheese burgers and mushies, that's pretty much the only way I eat them fresh off the grill.

Oh yeah. I'll load my burgers! I'm a hot dog purist though. Maybe some kraut along with the YM and SR.

Mmm, blue cheese and mushroom burgers,
Old 06-30-2016, 01:11 PM   #37
Master Chef

Not a Blue cheese fan, but I do love me my Swiss cheese and mushroom burgers.

We had been using up the abundance of Heinz packets that come with our take-out grocery store fish - they include packets of tartar sauce and Heinz with each order. Normally "What is on Sale" ketchup is our usual brand. When I needed to buy ketchup, the little store with the Fetch app had Heinz on sale 2/$5, 2/$4 with Fetch. I also got to use the $1 off coupon that came in a flyer. Two 24-oz (28-oz?) bottles of anything for three bucks is a good deal to me. I just hope we use all that ketchup up before we die... RP and Kayelle, I think homemade BBQ sauce is in my future, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I grew up on Caines Mayo and still use it to this day....
You can have the jar in my basement. I made the mistake of buying two when I found the on sale/use a coupon deal. In MY opinion, Cains in nasty stuff. I'd rather use Miracle Whip all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
...I have never had the privilege of tasting Caine's Mayo. I wish I could. I am picky when it comes to mayo. Unless I stumble upon something better I'll stick with Hellman's.
You can race Addie for my unopened jar! Have you ever tried Duke's? I understand a lot of southern cooks prefer that brand. When we vacationed in Asheville, I bought a jar. It was good, tasted almost like Hellman's, but I still prefer Hellman's - probably because it is what I grew up w...wait, I grew up with Miracle Whip I have used since I got married.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
...Only Best Foods mayo will do for us..Helman's east of the Rockies. That nasty sweet Miracle Whip is a mayo mutant and actually a dressing.
I felt the same way you do, Kayelle, until Chief Longwind said something about MW and coleslaw. I never liked my homemade coleslaw (didn't like coleslaw most of the time but Himself likes it), so I always coughed up the outrageous amount of money the grocery store charges for their in-store made stuff...which is probably mass-produced by someone else anyway. Then Chierf said something about shredded cabbage, MW, ice and other things I've forgotten. Now I basically mix shredded cabbage and a shredded carrot (or, sometimes, radishes) with MW and a little sprinkle of celery seeds. We both like that, and it is way cheaper than anything I would buy in the store. One jar of MW lasts forever that way. Good thing, too, since I'm pretty sure a jar of MW would make it through a nuclear blast.

In our house, hot dogs and burgers have a long line of toppings to pick from. I like Bertman's Ball Park mustard and dill pickle relish - no sweet in my house ever. Himself likes Plochman's yellow mustard and raw diced onions. We've never seen either of them in MA, so we keep sneaking it across the state line when we make trips back from OH. Just as long as MA doesn't install border crossing guards we should be OK.
Old 06-30-2016, 01:54 PM   #38
Master Chef

Quote:
You can race Addie for my unopened jar! Have you ever tried Duke's? I understand a lot of southern cooks prefer that brand. When we vacationed in Asheville, I bought a jar. It was good, tasted almost like Hellman's, but I still prefer Hellman's - probably because it is what I grew up w...wait, I grew up with Miracle Whip
Geeze, I ordered Duke's mayo and got three jars of it because someone said it was better than the best. Half the first jar was thrown out, and the other two jars are still in the garage all these years later. Anyone can race over here for those also.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 03:07 PM   #39
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
Only in California!
Not even in California! Mustard on the hot dog. Save the ketchup for the fries. Even a Chicago dog, fully loaded, doesn't have ketchup!
Old 06-30-2016, 03:08 PM   #40
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Geeze, I ordered Duke's mayo and got three jars of it because someone said it was better than the best. Half the first jar was thrown out, and the other two jars are still in the garage all these years later. Anyone can race over here for those also.
Give them to the food bank. Hungry people aren't that picky.