Heinz vs. French's ketchup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When I lived in North Carolina, Duke's was big. I tried a small jar, but never went back to it again. I actually prefer Kraft Mayo over Hellman's - it's creamier. Hellman's always looks a little curdled. I grew up on Miracle Whip, and still use it on some things, mayo on others.

Ketchup, relish, onions on hot dogs.
Mustard and sauteed onions on brats.
Swiss cheese, sauteed mushrooms & barbecue sauce or Peter Luger's steak sauce on hamburgers.

Iam a mustard fan. Guldens was always my go to mustard until I found Woeber's Reserve. I have no use for French's whatsoever.

I have never had the privilege of tasting Caine's Mayo. I wish I could. I am picky when it comes to mayo. Unless I stumble upon something better I'll stick with Hellman's.

Liz, Caines is not as thick as Hellman's. As a result, it is easier to spread so you use less. And it has a lighter flavor. Did you ever have a mayo sandwich as a kid? My kids loved them. And when at a friends house, they would never eat one because it wasn't made with Caines. They would rather break up their playtime to come home and use the Caines. Then they would head out the door with a few of them in hand. A silly, stupid sandwich, but my kids loved them.

If you are ever in the New England area, any supermarket will have it. :angel:

I found the Cains seemed greasy, unless that's what you mean by smooth, Addie. It also had a faint plastic flavor, if I remember correctly. Not interested in tasting it again to be sure.

Ketchup is the one condiment I don't like. :LOL: I can't remember the last time I bought it, maybe 15 years ago or so. I usually have chili sauce in the fridge that I kind of use as a sub. I like that a little better, especially on the rare occasion that I make battered and fried shrimp or shrimp cocktail.

For mayo, it's only Best Foods. I used to like Miracle Whip now and then on sammies, but haven't bought it in decades.

Long, long ago, I was in a restaurant ad they served something called Hunt's (or Heinz or some brand) Special Ketchup and it was delicious. Never saw it again and I still can't remember what brand it was.

To me, most ketchups taste alike, so I try to go with the one with the least amount of sugar.

California girl here...not only mustard, but ketchup, cheese, and onions on a hot dog. Never did like chili on hot dogs, though.

Ketchup is the one condiment I don't like. :LOL: I can't remember the last time I bought it, maybe 15 years ago or so. I usually have chili sauce in the fridge that I kind of use as a sub. I like that a little better, especially on the rare occasion that I make battered and fried shrimp or shrimp cocktail.

For mayo, it's only Best Foods. I used to like Miracle Whip now and then on sammies, but haven't bought it in decades.

Shrimp without cocktail sauce? Is there such a thing?

The only thing I like on my hot dog is relish. :angel:

Ya got me there, Addie. I meant to say cocktail sauce. It comes down to either having a bottle of ketchup and a jar of prepared horseradish (which loses it's kick soon) to make my own on rare occasions, or just buying a bottle of cocktail sauce to keep on hand. I go the easy way. ;):LOL:

Long, long ago, I was in a restaurant ad they served something called Hunt's (or Heinz or some brand) Special Ketchup and it was delicious. Never saw it again and I still can't remember what brand it was.

To me, most ketchups taste alike, so I try to go with the one with the least amount of sugar.

California girl here...not only mustard, but ketchup, cheese, and onions on a hot dog. Never did like chili on hot dogs, though.

I'm originally from California too (San Francisco Bay Area), and the proper way to dress a dog is mustard (Stadium Mustard from Ohio), onions, and jalapenos. :)

Just kidding. But that is how I like mine. But seriously, you are an actor? That's cool. What restaurant was the ad for?

Last edited:

Ya got me there, Addie. I meant to say cocktail sauce. It comes down to either having a bottle of ketchup and a jar of prepared horseradish (which loses it's kick soon) to make my own on rare occasions, or just buying a bottle of cocktail sauce to keep on hand. I go the easy way. ;):LOL:

I do keep forgetting that emoticon with the wink. ;) But then I do have a valid excuse today. I just got released from the hospital and I am not saying what kind of hospital. ;) :angel:

Back
Top Bottom