"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Old 06-28-2016, 10:13 PM   #1
Senior Cook
Heinz vs. French's ketchup

We always buy Heinz, but I think I will buy French's from now on. It has sugar in it and not high fructose corn syrup like Heinz.

I am not a huge ketchup eater. French's mustard is my fave condiment, and Hellman's mayo is my 2nd fave. Sometimes I make fresh cut fries and squirt some ketchup on the side to dip them in. Or a ketchup/mayo mix.

Wife puts ketchup on everything like a little kid would do.

jd_1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 12:36 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire
Heinz makes with and without sugar or fructose corn syrup. I buy the without. A bonus for diabetics. It is called Simply Heinz.

Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 04:25 AM   #3
Master Chef
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Heinz makes with and without sugar or fructose corn syrup. I buy the without. A bonus for diabetics. It is called Simply Heinz.
Simply Heinz contains 4 grams of sugar per tablespoon, the same as French's and most other brands of ketchup. I use Heinz Reduced Sugar which contains 1 gram of sugar per tablespoon, it also contains sucralose and costs about twice as much. I guess it's a case of pick your poison!

Heinz Reduced Sugar Ketchup 13oz | Heinz Ketchup
Aunt Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 06:59 AM   #4
Head Chef
To us, ketchup is ketchup is ketchup and there's not much difference, unless we go to the trouble of making some from scratch for something special. We don't really use much of it at all. I'd say our main use is putting some in meatloaf, as well as making a glaze with worchestshire sauce for the top of meatloaf. A bottle of ketchup lasts a LONG time here.
medtran49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 07:27 AM   #5
Master Chef
+3 on Simply Heinz

It's better tasting than the original stuff
Less is not more. More is more and more is fabulous.
jennyema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 08:30 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire
We buy whatever is on sale. I don't notice a difference in taste. High fructose corn syrup (a fructose-sucrose mixture) has gotten a lot of bad publicity, but it's not really very different from table sugar or honey. The name simply indicates that it has a higher ratio of fructose than regular corn syrup.

The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 09:08 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
Heinz vs. French's ketchup

I buy regular Heinz. I use ketchup on eggs, burgers, meatloaf, fries. HFCS doesn't bother me either, it's just sugar. I would be interested in doing a comparison taste test between Heinz and French's though. Many like Hunt's better, I've never cared for it.

Will have to try the Simply Heinz.
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 09:30 AM   #8
Wine Guy
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea;1471277I use [B
Heinz Reduced Sugar[/B] which contains 1 gram of sugar per tablespoon...
I use it, too, and don't notice any difference in flavor between this product and the regular version.
Steve Kroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 09:43 AM   #9
Certified Pretend Chef
We're not big ketchup users. I buy a smaller bottle and have to keep checking the expiration date to be sure it's still OK. At that consumption level, we stick with the taste we like.
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 10:10 AM   #10
Master Chef
Now that the kids are mostly out of the house, I use little ketchup. I've even run out and not noticed I didn't have any! I buy Heinz. I agree with Andy in that we use it so seldom that the sugar content is negligible for us. HFCS can make the blood sugar spike faster than regular sugar so I tend try to limit it in foods but you can't get away from it totally it appears if you buy any mass produced food products.

I could give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!
jabbur is offline   Reply With Quote