"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-13-2006, 10:26 AM   #11
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Ramsey is a hard a**, and rude, and a pri**, and a variety of other adjectives...but he is also very fair.

I will more then likly end up watching the show. It amazes me how unskilled the "chefs" are...where did they find these people?

Old 06-13-2006, 10:57 AM   #12
Senior Cook

I watch it.
But WARNING... this Television, and the program is Designed to stimulate various emotions- none of which includes cooking skills or information about authentic food operations in a a classy restaurant.

I would eat at a Ramsey restaurant in a minute. I also believe in high standards and good food.

IMHO the show would be far better if it included some elements of instruction from Ramsey on how to cook better- then be harsh on the candidates of they could not do it. But, the premise of taking un-trained people and expecting them to magically become top grade chefs is absurd on its face.
Watch it for entertainment- especially if you like seeing people humiliated in public. As for the "customers"- they are as fake as the players in the show- actually- they are in the show too.
You have been warned.

Old 06-13-2006, 11:02 AM   #13
Head Chef

I also watch Ramsey's Boiling Point on BBCAmerica. There he does give instruction and I like his high standards; how else are they going to learn to do things right. They have to do it; not watch someone else do it for them.
Old 06-13-2006, 11:07 AM   #14
Executive Chef

The US show is a spin-off from the same show here in the UK... so we've been subjected to Gordon's 'colourful' language and explosive rages for a number of years! He also has a show where he goes into failing restaurants and tries to teach REAL chefs WHY their businesses are failing... sometimes they take the advice, sometimes they don't. Sometimes the restaurants survive and lots don't!!!!

I've eaten in his restaurants quite a few times. Claridges Hotel restaurant is now run by one of his well-trained chefs, a female, Angela Hartnett, who still manages to get on with him. Marcus Wareing, another Michelin starred chef, also trained under Ramsay. He must be doing something right

He's also opening a restaurant in NYC sometime in 2006, or so I read a while back.

Here's a Gordon Ramsay site http://www.gordonramsay.com/claridges/chefs/chefpatron/
Old 06-13-2006, 11:27 AM   #15
Master Chef

WOW, what a bunch of losers those contestants are! For the most part.

I can cook better than at least half of them.

That girl who burned herself ( ) is good but that's about it. That "ex-stockbroker" (now, how do become an "ex" stockbroker at the age of 40? I hope the SEC wasn't involved) was so obnoxious that I wanted to punch my fist through the tv.

The sweaty guy who they made be the waiter is possibly his own first cousin. Dewberry without any personality whatsoever.

The exceptional lack of culinary talent compared to last season really surprises me. I wouldn't trust any of them with their own restaurant. But then Michael didn't get a restaurant, he got an internship with Gordon in London.
Old 06-13-2006, 11:47 AM   #16
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema
WOW, what a bunch of losers those contestants are! For the most part.

I can cook better than at least half of them.

That girl who burned herself ( ) is good but that's about it. That "ex-stockbroker" (now, how do become an "ex" stockbroker at the age of 40? I hope the SEC wasn't involved) was so obnoxious that I wanted to punch my fist through the tv.

The sweaty guy who they made be the waiter is possibly his own first cousin. Dewberry without any personality whatsoever.

The exceptional lack of culinary talent compared to last season really surprises me. I wouldn't trust any of them with their own restaurant. But then Michael didn't get a restaurant, he got an internship with Gordon in London.
I was thinking the same thing as you!! Compared to last season's wannabe chefs, this bunch are the culls!!!!!
Old 06-13-2006, 01:17 PM   #17
Senior Cook

last season actually had real cooks, this season does not.
Old 06-13-2006, 02:17 PM   #18
Head Chef

I agree!!!!
Old 06-13-2006, 05:44 PM   #19
Executive Chef

I think that all of these so called cooks failed miserably they couldn't even cut 10 ounce steaks as I see it now ,not one of them would qualify to run a top notch restaurant.I think Gordon is mean because when you work in a proffesional kitchen you hafto be able to work under extreme pressure alot of the time and still not screw up.The problem with all the screaming is everybody gets so nervous they cant help but screw up.I worked for a chef many years ago and when he got really mad it worked against him because everybody started scewing up from burning,dropping things getting orders wrong and so on.It's counter productive.
Old 06-13-2006, 06:08 PM   #20
Executive Chef

How did these people get on the show????

I hear that the customers are people that work for the Fox compnay.