"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-14-2009, 07:19 PM   #1
Sous Chef
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Dansville NY
Posts: 859
Help!!

My dog just threw up half burned garbage that was partially burned using kerosene!! He weighs 120 lbs and you can definately smell the kero on his breath. He is still drinking water. What should I do? The vets are gone for the weekend, he is not sluggish but I'm worried. When I get ahold of my neighbors...

__________________

__________________
DawnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 07:32 PM   #2
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Central Virginia
Posts: 3,381
Water is good ( I hope, I think). Can you go online and find a Vet close to you? good luck!
__________________

__________________
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
Loprraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 08:05 PM   #3
biovixen
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
hyrdogen peroxide is good...I don't know how much though. When the dog I had growing up got into stuff she wasn't supposed to get into, my mom called poison control (she only had to call them for the dog, never us LOL). She said that they were quite helpful. GL and hope your dog gets better soon!
__________________
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 08:08 PM   #4
Master Chef
 
Vanilla Bean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Washington State
Posts: 7,133
All the vets can't be unavailable. You can look in the phone book or online for emergency numbers! I would try that. Good luck to you and Huggggggggggs!
__________________
A little kindness goes a long way.
Vanilla Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 08:31 PM   #5
Head Chef
 
Saphellae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kingston, Ontario
Posts: 1,611
Try emergency vet numbers. He has ingested gas and should be looked at immediately.
__________________
Saphellae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 08:37 PM   #6
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Raton,NM, USA
Posts: 4,573
check here you might find some help
Animal Poison Control Center
__________________
"It's so beautifully arranged on the plate - you know someone's fingers have been all over it." - Julia Child
jpmcgrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 08:38 PM   #7
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Raton,NM, USA
Posts: 4,573
here is another site
Dogs and Poison
__________________
"It's so beautifully arranged on the plate - you know someone's fingers have been all over it." - Julia Child
jpmcgrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 09:08 PM   #8
Master Chef
 
Constance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Southern Illiniois
Posts: 8,175
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnT View Post
My dog just threw up half burned garbage that was partially burned using kerosene!! He weighs 120 lbs and you can definately smell the kero on his breath. He is still drinking water. What should I do? The vets are gone for the weekend, he is not sluggish but I'm worried. When I get ahold of my neighbors...
Google it...

He did puke it up...but you still need to get him to a vet, somewhere, I would think.
At least it's not anti-freeze.
__________________
We get by with a little help from our friends
Constance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 09:21 PM   #9
Master Chef
 
expatgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Texas girl living in Kazakhstan
Posts: 5,575
don't dawdle.........call a vet from somewhere..........gas or kerosene is a poison.......it may do some long term damage............
__________________
The only difference between a "cook" and a "Chef" is who cleans up the kitchen.
expatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 07:32 AM   #10
Sous Chef
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Dansville NY
Posts: 859
Thank you all, we got ahold of a vet. Did blood work, and other tests, dumb dog is okay. The neighbor will be another story though!! He has been told not to burn his kitchen trash at all, talk about DUMB!!! Thank you again. By the way, yes this is the dog that ate my shoes and marked me as his territory!?!
__________________

__________________
DawnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.