Help finding info/history on antique locket

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It could be Artemis, but I don't think it is. She is portrayed as having short hair in century statues, though a helmet that allows you to look up would appeal to an archer. I will have to ask Nick about this one! He would know.

Hey, jkath. Contact my friend Bernard here. He's a certified gemologist, among other things and is a wizard when it comes to evaluating/identifying/appraising jewelery, etc. He won't give you any bull poopie either. If he doesn't know what it is, he'll tell you and/or point you in the direction of someone who will help you. He's been in the jewelry business for over 25 years and has built a great business.

He's also a DC member and an all-around good guy. I'll call him and tell him to be on the lookout for your query. I'll bet he'll be able to identify your beautiful piece of jewelry.

I didn't think so. For some reason the name just came up.

The nose definitely looks like early Roman or Greek art, so Athena sounds right.

:)Barbara

:) I also am thinking greek or roman definitely not even early american. I'm leaning towards greek it will be fun to find out.
Maybe the Antiques Road Show has a web site you can post photo

Very pretty and intricate.

And yes, Helen brought down Troy, she didn't help defend it.
C'mon, we've all seen the movie haven't we? :LOL:

This may be of interest, too.

"Art Nouveau styles became popular during the last decade of the 19th century. Asymmetrical lines and elaborate ornamentation were key Art Nouveau elements, and designs often depicted flowers and plants, the female form, and flowing hair. Learn more about Art Nouveau jewelry here."

From: Art Nouveau Jewelry - Facts About Jewelry from the Art Nouveau Period

It looked art nouveau when I saw it and this was the first link I clicked on.

Oh,and that would put it in the right time frame.

Guess What This Is A Photo Of......;)

img_691709_0_758bc6e121468b74e3917f4ce9a767cb.jpg
[/quote]

I am less inclined to think it as Roman though. The flowing hair is goddess like and makes her look noble and on a quest at the same time, and the helm is not roman. The helm more resembles a parade helmet from forever ago because of the high forehead piece jutting out. I think that the back part of the helmet is lost in her sea of hair.

OK, yeah, I just finished reading a historical novel, so what?

May we see a picture of the inside open? I am a jeweler, though I do not specialize in vintage, I do have several books at home. I will take a look and see if I can find anything for you. There are no markings or hallmarks beyond "3 5", and those are hand written? Like a said a pic of the inside might help on narrowing down the era, as would any hallmarks whatsoever.

-Josh :pig:hart

I think it looks more Greek too. I was just noticing that although the helmet was different, she also had long flowing hair (just going down her back).

I had almost forgotten than you are a jeweler Josh. Good to see you chiming in here. :cool:

Thanks all!! Sorry I haven't commented - I'm up to here with the economy, so I'm presently looking for some type of job. (did I mention I haven't worked in 16 years?) sheesh!
Anyway, here's the inside:
the bezels are missing, and I'm not sure how long they've been gone.
Checking with the loupe again, the numbers 35 are 2mm on the blank side, and 2.5mm on the patterned side (they're upside-down on this side). They're on the left side (9:00) of the photograph on both pieces.
There is a raised mark at the top that looks like either a capital " O " or a zero on the blank side, but I don't know if that's an alphebetical mark, or ?

img_693039_0_a8d98fc1c652c7e1d825038c3bba642e.jpg

Katie, thank you so much for the referral of your friend! I've just emailed him and hopefully he'll know something about it.
I so appreciate that!!

With your organizational and craft skills, and your adorable personality, you will find a job in no time! As always, you are in our prayers!

Thanks all!! Sorry I haven't commented - I'm up to here with the economy, so I'm presently looking for some type of job. (did I mention I haven't worked in 16 years?)

Cinderella
Sleeping Beauty

Pick any beautiful princess - you are her! :flowers:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom