Help getting rid of maple tree seedlings!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Barb L.

Master Chef
How do you get rid of these seedlings growing in your yard, Hubby didn't think weed killer would kill them. We have always had a few but this year its all over our yard ! Appreciate any help !!

You must have a huge yard, Barb! I"d agree with just keep mowing the critters down, or a little judicious application of Roundup.

Barb we have them too... round up doesn't seem to work too well...start picking!

I feel your pain Barb! I have hundreds of them as well. Mowing them works O.K. for the yard but I have rather large beds that want to become forests. I tediously pull 'em and rake. It's a huge pain in the arsh!

Last edited:
:) Why not have a contest for the neighborhood kids pay them a certain amount for each seedling like maybe 5 or 10 cents each and then a prize or two monetary or otherwise for who gets the most seedlings and maybe large a candybar for consolation prizes..

Last edited:
jpmcgrew said:
:) Why not have a contest for the neighborhood kids pay them a certain amount for each seedling like maybe 5 or 10 cents each and then a prize or two monetary or otherwise for who gets the most seedlings and maybe large a candybar for consolation prizes..

That sounds like a good idea:)...and it's easier than either pulling them up youself or pulling out the mower every couple of days!!!

Hey you guys,lol thanks for your help ! No #1, we are retired (no extra money), Iam not pulling those suckers out, even though yard isn't even that big ! Calling the greenhouse people tomorrow! Maybe they have an idea. But I will let you know. This is the first year they are this bad !

You can get a herbicide that will work on "woody" weeds and maybe even decidiuous seedlings. Look at The Home Depot or Lowe's.

Unless you remove the roots, they will continue to grow. I'd mow them down if you cannot dig them up.

I have the same problem with a Mulberry tree, Ivy andmany other weeds. Paul always said " If it's green just mow it"
I also have a lot of clover and my friend Judy is always looking and finding 4 leaf clover. The other day she found a 5 leaf one...? more luck than a 4?

I'll trade you some Oak seedlings! We just keep mowing and eventually they go away. My husband did pick quite a few out by the roots one year. This year, so far, isn't too bad. I can't wait to hear your answer!

These are shoots that germinate from the tree roots; depending how many inches (or feet) of moisture your yard has collected over the winter season (dormant season). The best way to avoid the problem is to prune your trees at least every 2-3 years. And of course, you need to feed your trees. This keeps the rooting system growing in a down halo. Otherwise I call it "Trees Grown Wild."

These seedlings are not from tree roots, these are the little 'helicopter' seedlings that have germinated. Our tree is a city owned tree about 40 yrs. old, they do all the pruning.

Thanks YT, just googled that name, and our trade name 'Roundup' contains this! Will have to get some !

Just mentioned this to dh and he thought roundup killed grass too though. Will have to check it out further.

Last edited:
it`s worth remembering though that the Action Glyphosate (on the krebs cycle), takes a good 10 days to show effects, however, by the time you see this effect, the plant is TOAST! :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom