Help!! How long it takes for a little bird to come out of the egg?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

2belucile

Senior Cook
In my balcony, two little birds decided to make a nest. We were away, came back and discover it with 2 or 3 eggs . That was about 2 weeks ago. Since that day, we were "banished" from the balcony of the apartment, only my brother can go and water some of the plants. My question is: how long does it takes for the little chicks to come out of the shells? and how long to leave the nest? I think they are doves, but dont know for sure. They are small, one kind of grayish, other brown. Thanks for any enlightment about this, I dont know anything about birds, apart that they sing beautifully...

Find out what species they are and then do a search for the gestation period and the time between hatching and leaving the nest. That should give you an idea.

Craig

Sorry, I erased the first part of the message, it was about guacamayas that come to a terrace in front of my buiding. Is almost the only bird that i can tell about, apart for the one canarie that my grandmother use to have.

You should have babies any day. Chickens take 3 weeks--smaller birds take less time.

And they grow quickly--they will be flying away in just a couple weeks. Chances are, if they built near people, they are not too shy. Try not to disturb them too often, or too long, but you should be able to water the plants and sneak a peak at the babies at the same time.

I have wrens in my garage right now--they built in an old pot on a shelf. I can pull the pot down and peek in--there are 5 eggs.

Hi Sparrowgras! The name we give here to this kind of bird is TORTOLA. I looked ast some images, this looks like the Tortola comun. One of them is brown. the other is kind of grayish.
My other sister and I have been vanished fron the balcony, the only one allowed is my brother, the one in charge of watering the plants. The small pot where they made the nest is between 2 other big pots with plants with large leave that cover the small pot with the nest. It used to have a small Christmas Cactus. I hope it wont be dried when they finish raising the chicks.

everyone beat me to it, but in general most small birds are in the shell for 2 to 3 weeks, and fledge for just another few weeks. it depends on the species and environmental conditions such as food.

don't be surprised if it gets a bit ugly, though. very often the last to hatch will either be ignored and die, pushed out of the way by the first hatched who will be significantly larger at first, or even killed by it's clutchmates or the parents if they had too many eggs to support or there's not enough food.

Ah, you are so cheerful this morning, Buckytom. :ermm:

Both chicks will survive if there is plenty of food--looks like they eat cracked corn, nuts, sunflower seeds, milo and thistle seed at feeders.

Try setting a dish full of bird seed outside for the mama and daddy. A shallow water dish might help, too.

Thanks Taxlady for the address, the information is very good.
Buckytom and Sparrowgrass: I will try to set a dich of water and other with some food to help the "new parents". Up to now, we have not seen or heard any sounds
from the nest, but hope the little ones come out soon.
Will inform about them, if we can see them..........
Thanks to ALL of you for the care and information.

Back
Top Bottom