"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Old 11-20-2005, 05:48 PM   #11
Executive Chef
Ditto what mud said. All I have to add is that I have close friends who can barely even make a box of macaroni and cheese. I'm convinced that they are simply intimidated by cooking and think that it's much more difficult than it really is. Once you learn the basics, everything begins to fall into place and the doors of world cuisine are wide open for you.

DampCharcoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 10:21 PM   #12
Certified Pretend Chef
As foodies, we see cooking as very important, more than just a way to provide nourishment. We see it as a way to show love, as a way to express creativity and as a way to feel a sense of acomplishment on a daily basis. I love it! It's not surprising we want everyone to be/feel the same as we do.

Good or bad, right or wrong, not everyone does. Many, if not most people, don't care about cooking, just about eating.

Many couples are like that. One steroetypical couple would have a stay-at-home mom and a dad who works outside the home. Dad works outside the home and brings home a paycheck and has no interest in cooking or doing the laundry, etc. Mom is busy all day doing stay-at-home mom stuff (including cooking for everyone else in the home) and doesn't work for a paycheck (I'm not making any judgements here, just trying to give an example). This is a symbiotic relationship. Mom cooks and cleans for everyone, supporting the family in that way while dad provides the family with cash.

Have you ever heard of someone who lost a wife and all of a sudden had to learn all the tasks his wife used to do? What about a wife and mom who lost a husband and had to go out and get a job to pay the bills but had no skills?

We all can't know how to do everything, even basics. I can't fix a car anymore, they're too complex. I get someone who loves to work on cars to do that for me. I can't cut my own hair (and go out in public). You get the idea...

This is all a long-winded way to say that I think it would be great for everyone to feel about cooking as we do for the reasons I gave in the first paragraph. But, I know that's never going to happen. That's just the way it is.

I wonder if folks who love to do stuff other than cooking think everyone should know how to do what they love to do.

"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 12:01 AM   #13
Executive Chef
Many of the other things people enjoy probably aren't as basic to life as cooking and most of us want to do things right if we are going to do them. There are several other things I enjoy, but as much as I like them, I know that some people can take them or leave them. Some people only eat to live, thus never really taking much of an interest in different foods. Some live to eat, so our tastes are broadened and enhanced by trying different foods and learning to cook them for ourselves. I enjoy reading recipes and cookbooks even tho I know most of them I will never try, but I've gained a lot from seeing what others enjoy and sometimes trying them for myself, or deciding what isn't for me.
Be an organ donor; give your heart to Jesus.
Exercise daily; walk with the Lord.
licia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 08:34 AM   #14
Master Chef
Hey Katherine Zeta-Jones (or whatever the way she spells her name) doesn’t know how to cook, she is not even allowed in the kitchen, and everything is okay in their family. You don’t see Michael walking around starving.

You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote