Help in english class

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Boxxcarr

Assistant Cook
I'm new to this forum, so HI to everybody..lol.
I was wanting to know a couple opinions everybody has on cooking. The question I need answered is should everybody know how to cook? Obviously, I say yes, but I need some outside sources. That's where the fine people of this forum come in, I hope! Also, an argument against my opinion is needed, so if you could see why people don't need to be able to cook, let me know. The only other thing I ask is your name for my works cited page. THANK YOU!

help in english class

I was wanting to know a couple opinions everybody has on cooking. The question I need answered is should everybody know how to cook? Obviously, I say yes, but I need some outside sources. That's where the fine people of this forum come in, I hope! Also, an argument against my opinion is needed, so if you could see why people don't need to be able to cook, let me know. The only other thing I ask is your name for my works cited page. THANK YOU!

I believe that every one should have some cooking ability.
You don't have to be a pro. But you should be able to make
a few breakfasts lunch and dinners. Eating out of a can all the time
is not fun or healthy and going out all the time is way too expensive. Learn to cook a few basic meals. You'll be happy you did.

P.s. Cooking is a great way to be creative, relieve stress and have FUN!

WELCOME TO THE GROUP!

Trish in Issaquah Washington

Last edited:
Welcome to DC, Boxxcarr! Does EVERYONE need to know how to cook? hmmmm... My opinion, in this day and age of convenience foods and boxes and packages and canned goods... I would say, nah, maybe not. A lot of people have mastered the art of the microwave But, on the other hand, taking the recent natural disasters into account, and/or other world events, a working knowledge of harvesting and preparing real, unrefined food is a valuable skill to have. What if we were without power for an extended time? Could you cut your own wood, start a fire with that wood, hunt, gather other edibles, and cook for sustenance? Just a little "food for thought"!

Yes every body should know how to cook, Because if you live alone who will cook for you?

Cameron

There are some things everyone should know: How to cook simple meals, how to clean up behind themselves, how to take care of their clothes, how to take care of minor medical emergencies, how to contact the right person if you don't learn to do any of these.

Those that can't/won't/don't cook must rely on finding someone that can. My dad falls into this category. He only knows one temperature for cooking, ****fire hot. He's the only one I know that can turn a burger into a hockey puck in mere minutes. I recall the time my mom and I were out of town for the day, and came back around 9pm or so. Dad was out back with his steel bruch and putty knife trying to separate his burnt supper from the pan it was cooked in. He still hadn't had supper yet!

Should everyone know how to cook to some degree? Absolutely, because your life requires nourishment. For those the can't/won't/don't for whatever reason better find someone that can, or find a high paying job to eat out.

Knowing how to cook is not necessarily a requirement, but I think everyone has it in them to learn if they so chose.

I think everyone should know the basics - how to cook a flavoursome soup, casserole for instance. How to cook simple dishes like omelettes and scrambled eggs.
Ishbel from Scotland

You don't need to know how to cook.

But you will live a boring life.

And never attract the girls/guys.

Plus you will never learn about math, patience, failure, inspiration, adventure, hygiene, and Bandaids.

Your choice, kiddo.

Last edited:
I just wanna thank everybody that posted. It really helped me out. I didn't know that this essay needed outside sources that argued and supported my thesis. You really know how to make a guy feel welcome. Well, back to my chicken breast, potato, and broccoli with creamy mustard sauce fiasco..lol.

Ditto what mud said. All I have to add is that I have close friends who can barely even make a box of macaroni and cheese. I'm convinced that they are simply intimidated by cooking and think that it's much more difficult than it really is. Once you learn the basics, everything begins to fall into place and the doors of world cuisine are wide open for you.

As foodies, we see cooking as very important, more than just a way to provide nourishment. We see it as a way to show love, as a way to express creativity and as a way to feel a sense of acomplishment on a daily basis. I love it! It's not surprising we want everyone to be/feel the same as we do.

Good or bad, right or wrong, not everyone does. Many, if not most people, don't care about cooking, just about eating.

Many couples are like that. One steroetypical couple would have a stay-at-home mom and a dad who works outside the home. Dad works outside the home and brings home a paycheck and has no interest in cooking or doing the laundry, etc. Mom is busy all day doing stay-at-home mom stuff (including cooking for everyone else in the home) and doesn't work for a paycheck (I'm not making any judgements here, just trying to give an example). This is a symbiotic relationship. Mom cooks and cleans for everyone, supporting the family in that way while dad provides the family with cash.

Have you ever heard of someone who lost a wife and all of a sudden had to learn all the tasks his wife used to do? What about a wife and mom who lost a husband and had to go out and get a job to pay the bills but had no skills?

We all can't know how to do everything, even basics. I can't fix a car anymore, they're too complex. I get someone who loves to work on cars to do that for me. I can't cut my own hair (and go out in public). You get the idea...

This is all a long-winded way to say that I think it would be great for everyone to feel about cooking as we do for the reasons I gave in the first paragraph. But, I know that's never going to happen. That's just the way it is.

I wonder if folks who love to do stuff other than cooking think everyone should know how to do what they love to do.

Many of the other things people enjoy probably aren't as basic to life as cooking and most of us want to do things right if we are going to do them. There are several other things I enjoy, but as much as I like them, I know that some people can take them or leave them. Some people only eat to live, thus never really taking much of an interest in different foods. Some live to eat, so our tastes are broadened and enhanced by trying different foods and learning to cook them for ourselves. I enjoy reading recipes and cookbooks even tho I know most of them I will never try, but I've gained a lot from seeing what others enjoy and sometimes trying them for myself, or deciding what isn't for me.

Hey Katherine Zeta-Jones (or whatever the way she spells her name) doesn’t know how to cook, she is not even allowed in the kitchen, and everything is okay in their family. You don’t see Michael walking around starving. :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom