"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-25-2007, 02:44 PM   #11
Master Chef

ITK an E-collar is one of those plastic "lampshades" that prevent a dog from licking or chewing on himself.

The vet can sell one to you but I have seen them for cheaper in pet stores like Petco and Petsmart. They come in a number of sizes. It will prevent him from hurting himself.

Have you tried Benedryl? Our vet said to give the beagle a half a human Benedryl and it does seem to work @ least temporarily. You might want to ask your vet or look into that.

Old 05-25-2007, 03:00 PM   #12
Executive Chef

People have made some good suggestions. If all of those fail, you might try half baked 's idea and get another dog since your dog seems very sad from losing your other dog.

Old 05-25-2007, 04:38 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Oh

Now I know what you mean by the E-collar. They sure are good but with this constant licking do you think it will only be something temporarily. I don't like it that the vet gives him steroids. I wouldn't like to have to take them myself.

Getting another dog may be the solution. Right now I am just depressed over having to lose one dog and replacing her seems really hard. It is really healthy idea to find another dog to fill the void but why must I have such a sense of loyalty to dog that is gone? At the same time I gave her injections is really hard not to remember that is over with. I am so very thankful she seemed to accept her fate. Just laid down on the table and seemed to tell us she wanted to just give up. I am thankful she never required tubes or means to prolong her life. I want someone to help me to go too. Not unnecessary means to prolong agony. she was one smart dog.
Old 05-25-2007, 04:46 PM   #14
Executive Chef

ITK, I'm sorry. Now I remember that you recently lost your dog.

Our Skeeter didn't chew on his feet and lick his forearms until I went back to work. He was just beside himself with loneliness.
Old 05-25-2007, 04:55 PM   #15
Master Chef

ITK.... getting another companion really helps to move on from the pain of losing your other pup. Trust me, it is such an uplifting experience and you will always have good memories of your dog while you develop new ones with your new family!!!
Old 05-25-2007, 05:02 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by In the Kitchen
Getting another dog may be the solution. Right now I am just depressed over having to lose one dog and replacing her seems really hard.
ITK, you would not be "replacing" your dear departed doggie. You would be adding another dog to love and enhancing the life of the dog who is left. I would suspect he's grieving the loss of his friend. Giving you both another friend to love would be some of the best medicine possible.
Old 05-25-2007, 06:00 PM   #17
Executive Chef

I agrre with Katie E not only what she said but it's a great opportunity to save another puppy who really needs a home.Does not mean your replacing your doggie he cant be replaced you just want to give your other dog some company and you have a space for another dog looking for a loving home.
Old 05-25-2007, 07:15 PM   #18
Executive Chef

Thanks

You people are the best. Thanks so much for assuring me that I will resolve this problem. (Remind me of being faithful like my dogs) You all associate with the void I am experiencing today.

Now how do I go to adopt a dog and pick only one? The last time I did this I got the two dogs that are gone. They were sisters and I am sure they are both together again. Just remembering how we all would get ready to go for our daily walk was the highlight of my day. Keeping up with them was always a challenge. I look forward to having those days return and seeing this little one return to somewhat normal routine.

Thanks for all your suggestions. I do appreicate your understanding and time.

Guess I'll be asking about the new ones when i get them. Kind of like a security I can count on.
Old 05-25-2007, 07:22 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Well,If you go to the pound you are doomed because you will want take all of them home.Another place is here where they have rescue groups for every breed imaginable you can narrow your search to your state or other states close by.Petfinder.com: Adopt a pet and help an animal shelter rescue a puppy or kitten.
Old 05-25-2007, 07:34 PM   #20
Executive Chef

It's hard to pick only one! Only you know your dogs personality and which one he would be compatibable with as well as yourself. For instance, my dog (black lab) dislikes terriers but loves pugs, who knows why.

I didnt realize that you lost your dog recently, which is very hard indeed. But as others have said and I agree, your not replacing your dog, your dog will forever be in your heart. You are gaining a new friend for yourself and your dog.